Will I graze of just cut early.

will i graze of spread more fert and cut silage early.

• graze it

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • spread fert, better quality silage

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • wait and see.

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

HEX Heifer

Hi, i'm a first time poster based in meath, Ireland.

I closed up my paddocks on time this year, and i have loads of grass coming into grazing season, I spread urea on the 20th, and was shocked at how much grass was in parts of the farm.
Will I just bang out the fert, I cant spread slurrp as its long lush grass.

Its a bit like last year, i never got to graze silage ground last year before closing up. First cut was light.

Thanks,

I plan to be out Saturday and measure all the paddocks. Id say most paddocks average 1200 kg/dm/ha.

I voted wait and see just because! :Whistle2:

Too wet for sheep here at the minute and minimal grass,so I'm amazed you've spread fert.

If I was you I'd give it a light graze then slurry with a dribblebar or trailing shoe.

Did you have much cover laying over winter? If you did I'd graze it now or if you find a dry spell and land is dry enough nip it off and cut silage. Then slurry and spread fert.
If it's been grazed by sheep over winter and has been bare till mid January I'd say band some more fert on it.

Did you have much cover laying over winter? If you did I'd graze it now or if you find a dry spell and land is dry enough nip it off and cut silage. Then slurry and spread fert.
If it's been grazed by sheep over winter and has been bare till mid January I'd say band some more fert on it.

Yea I had strong covers when closing up for the winter of 800 kg/dm/ha, I have been grazing covers with light stock since Jan 15th and I have urea out since the break, no slurry yet as grass covers too heavy.

I have had a tough week, I killed cattle last week and there is a suspected TB lesion on the lung of one of the cattle.
I usually buy 60-70 yearlings at this time of the year. So I now have a good bit of grass and no cattle. As the TB issue is a bit of an unknown Im going to spread cut sward on the heavier paddocks, and aim to take a bigger first cut.

Yea I had strong covers when closing up for the winter of 800 kg/dm/ha, I have been grazing covers with light stock since Jan 15th and I have urea out since the break, no slurry yet as grass covers too heavy.

I have had a tough week, I killed cattle last week and there is a suspected TB lesion on the lung of one of the cattle.
I usually buy 60-70 yearlings at this time of the year. So I now have a good bit of grass and no cattle. As the TB issue is a bit of an unknown Im going to spread cut sward on the heavier paddocks, and aim to take a bigger first cut.
Sorry to hear about your TB trouble. It depends on what you want or require, but for me grass that has been laying over winter doesn't make great feed, usually has quite a bit of dead or dying material in it and what is green isn't the best either.
I'd cut what you have off if you can get on the land now, keep it to one side, and the land will then be ready to slurry and fert and grow a high quality first cut.

Sorry to hear that @HEX Heifer ,nothing more disheartening than getting that call about an animal gone down in the factory.

Back