Strapping bales of silage

Bring brutally honest I think I’d rather be behind the first than the second.. atleast if the top bale was going to go anywhere it would be out into the ditch, the second load the straps are way to close to the centre imo.. I’d be happier behind it if they were out on the outer third of each bale.

Personally we don’t tend to bother strapping silage bales, but it’s a single row up the middle and the draw is under a mile, if going longer or if bales are badly out of shape I normally would throw a few across it. Drawing straw tends to be a double top row and strapped either every second bale or every bale depending on the distance.

That top bale could land on a pedestrian or a pram, poor load building.

We drew hay for a local farmer this year he bought it.
The bales were very soft we tried them in different orders but they would start leaning Every couple of miles.
In the picture the far side of the trailer was about 4 inches off the ground.
It was fair dangerous unstrapping them. There’s a strap on every row and two across the top.
Racks on the trailer.
In the end we drew them single row on top with no strapsView attachment 61211
If you put the bottom row on the end you shouldn’t have any issues .... it acts like a floor , have drew some very soft bales and that seems to work , if they were really bad I would stack the 3 rows on the end but our trailers would be low so we would still be ok on height

We drew hay for a local farmer this year he bought it.
The bales were very soft we tried them in different orders but they would start leaning Every couple of miles.
In the picture the far side of the trailer was about 4 inches off the ground.
It was fair dangerous unstrapping them. There’s a strap on every row and two across the top.
Racks on the trailer.
In the end we drew them single row on top with no strapsView attachment 61211
The only way to draw soft bales, or any bales if going that high, is to put the bottom row on their ends.

Couldn’t get the ones on the second row to stay put as when you put them on top they were wider than the bale below
As i said tried them in various different orders

Small things make a difference, always put the ratchet on the road side , the load will always want to lean to the ditch and when strapped this way it helps the load stay steadier as the ratchet will always have the strap pulled tighter on its own side if you get what I mean.
We were drawing big squares 3 high and there was a tight turn going out a lane , the driver wasn’t paying attention and didn’t keep over far enough. Twin axle trailer and it caught the bank and lay over , opened the 5 straps drove out the trailer and reloaded . If the load hadn’t been as secure as it was I’d say there would have been more harm done .

Small things make a difference, always put the ratchet on the road side , the load will always want to lean to the ditch and when strapped this way it helps the load stay steadier as the ratchet will always have the strap pulled tighter on its own side if you get what I mean.
We were drawing big squares 3 high and there was a tight turn going out a lane , the driver wasn’t paying attention and didn’t keep over far enough. Twin axle trailer and it caught the bank and lay over , opened the 5 straps drove out the trailer and reloaded . If the load hadn’t been as secure as it was I’d say there would have been more harm done .
So if your ratchets are on the right make sure it lays to the left..:whistle:

I get what you mean regards the ratchet I always do the opposite so if you stop to tighten them your safe from traffic.

oh was moving an artic trailer load of bales in the snow in the spring, loaded grand. First bad corner he went around the load shifted due to the snow on the trailer, load was strapped down and all

What’s the rsa / guards response to the trailer below. Is it just the maker of that style of trailer presuming there’ll be no issue . As there’s no check valves on the rams holding the frame up . Hose bursts down the frames will come .
View attachment 61199[/QUOTE]
You tip 1 of these over and bale fallout its an insecure load.

Would trailers with that type of frame be common with you . Often seen pics of that style of trailer for sale usually in france .
What’s the rsa / guards response to the trailer below. Is it just the maker of that style of trailer presuming there’ll be no issue . As there’s no check valves on the rams holding the frame up . Hose bursts down the frames will come .
View attachment 61199
You tip 1 of these over and bale fallout its an insecure load.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: AYF
How do the likes of a keltek carrier fare out?
I know they can't move far in their cradle. But f
Would trailers with that type of frame be common with you . Often seen pics of that style of trailer for sale usually in france .

You tip 1 of these over and bale fallout its an insecure load.
[/QUOTE]

Suppose if you look at it that way. Tip any tipper trailer over and the load will fall out. Is there a diferance?
And to that end there's no weight test on a tippers sides?

A dump trailer has to be the worst yoke about for carrying bales.
I sold bales to a "genius":rolleyes2: and he used come to collect them with a dump trailer.
No matter how you tried to build them you could get Damm all on to it. Seven bales at best and I'm not say how long they stayed on it. Too high , body of the trailer too narrow,
rant over:tdown:

Back