Grass Direct Drilling Advice Where did I go wrong ?

No problem.

I really liked the aitchison seeder for conditions around us. But same if was 3 even 4" would be flying but only thing is if u cross stitch same thing takes little longer but cross at angle as if u do square to first run it can lift the wee squares looks messy.

Yea was only chatting to the guy that sprayed the field above at tractor run today. Told me he asked before spraying with the forefrontt was farmer reseeding he said no. Then few weeks later wanted roundup to spray off field and was told he was mad and would not grow then not happy with kill hit with roundup again. Never told us any of above then we stitched it like fools never got paid and got blame. This all from last August and 3 weeks ago sprayed off again and disced by us. And local contractor reseeded it again still not striking. And lad that sprayed holds little hope for success.

So since August 1 hit forefrontt and 3 hits roundup. I'd be scared to fall over in field incase it would heal me up
I figure that's why they can't do smaller spacings tbh. As the tines would just rip up sod. I tried a bit of prescision driving with the tines between rows and it was a mess for the few meters I managed!!

The key to not making a mess vs good tillering is to not make the 'diamonds' too tight I find. Local contractor saw my job and couldn't believe it was an Aitchison that had done it. As the only other field he'd ever seen done by one was a rough mess after they kept too tight and lifted sod all over the place!!

I'd be sending the man a bill for the disking. Spray records should show what he did with the sprays!?
Fu##ing up and blaming someone else is bad enough. Getting them to go into their pockets is another!

I figure that's why they can't do smaller spacings tbh. As the tines would just rip up sod. I tried a bit of prescision driving with the tines between rows and it was a mess for the few meters I managed!!

The key to not making a mess vs good tillering is to not make the 'diamonds' too tight I find. Local contractor saw my job and couldn't believe it was an Aitchison that had done it. As the only other field he'd ever seen done by one was a rough mess after they kept too tight and lifted sod all over the place!!

I'd be sending the man a bill for the disking. Spray records should show what he did with the sprays!?
Fu##ing up and blaming someone else is bad enough. Getting them to go into their pockets is another!

Lol yea tried same with no success but as to say diagonal but close to square to first run works and any we did worked really well

I know feck it I'll take the hit this time was a dear but valuable lesson to learn. Wont be making that mistake again. Walked it again today after the disking and reseeding 22 days on and nothing really showing few shutes here and there but not looking great I'd say that much sprays in the soil will be a miracle if anything grows this year.

I have seen very successful stitching reseeds where the Glyphosate was applied post-seeding. The theory is the moisture is retained in the decaying sward longer after seeding which aids germination of the new plants. In saying that the chemical application was 3-4 days post seeding, and there was only one application. I would think the only hope for the field in question would be to plough it in the hope of burying the chemical residues. The owner should also be reported to the relevant authorities for reckless endangerment of the environment. This and other threads have reinforced my opinion that the much-heralded pesticide application courses are a complete and utter waste of time as potentially dangerous chemicals are still being handled by individuals who have no idea how to manage them in a safe and sustainable manner. As an aside I recently observed a lady adding Roundup she had purchased in a local garden centre to a watering can in her kitchen sink. The mind boggles.

I have seen very successful stitching reseeds where the Glyphosate was applied post-seeding. The theory is the moisture is retained in the decaying sward longer after seeding which aids germination of the new plants. In saying that the chemical application was 3-4 days post seeding, and there was only one application. I would think the only hope for the field in question would be to plough it in the hope of burying the chemical residues. The owner should also be reported to the relevant authorities for reckless endangerment of the environment. This and other threads have reinforced my opinion that the much-heralded pesticide application courses are a complete and utter waste of time as potentially dangerous chemicals are still being handled by individuals who have no idea how to manage them in a safe and sustainable manner. As an aside I recently observed a lady adding Roundup she had purchased in a local garden centre to a watering can in her kitchen sink. The mind boggles.
What brand of Glypho is cleared for spraying grass seed post sowing?

What brand of Glypho is cleared for spraying grass seed post sowing?
Theoretically all of them?
Soil cancells its effect. And the seed is below the soil and not germinated (obviously too late once germinated!)
Local lad who has done a serious amount of dd does all the spraying after drilling.
I've been tempted but my luck would be that the weather would turn or the contractor wouldn't turn up!

Theoretically all of them?
Soil cancells its effect. And the seed is below the soil and not germinated (obviously too late once germinated!)
Local lad who has done a serious amount of dd does all the spraying after drilling.
I've been tempted but my luck would be that the weather would turn or the contractor wouldn't turn up!

Well that's one system you would want the luck of the Irish on your side. If was rain after would it not leave a residue in the soil?

When I was in Canada they used to spray glyphosate pre emerge (zero till system). They said it was safe on the crop right up to it peeping from the ground. Saw fields sprayed as barley was peeping and the crop was fine. Their theory was the plant was still drawing from the seed and not the leaf until it got over ground. Don’t think i’d be as brave!

Really? Everyone around me puts lime out sometime between spraying and seeding. As in days before seeding.

As long as there's a gap of at Least 8 days then it will not affect the Glyphosate, any sooner and the efficency of the Glyphosate will be comprimised.
Read the label.
Lime is best if it gets down BELOW the root zone of the seed your sowing, that's just common sense.
Done loads of Spraying and drilling on the same day, in that order. If you drill first you contaminate the grass around your drilling slots with soil Reducing the effect of your Glyphosate.
All of you intrested in direct drilling SHOULD read No-Tillage Seeding science and practice by C.J Baker, K.E Saxton & W.R Ritchie ( no relation ) it gives an excellent insight into all kinds of sowing and what affects germination.

Ritchie

we had a small bit done with I think a vredo drill 3 years ago, was slow to come but was late in the year, they guy with the drill I dont think he'd had it all that long. Was talking to him around a year later when he had done a good bit more, our sward was fine but were talking about it and he said he was no longer doing it unless their was lime out, proper lime not granlime which surprised me as I thought the quick release would be better for a reseed than the slow release of ground limestone.

... he said he was no longer doing it unless their was lime out, proper lime not granlime which surprised me as I thought the quick release would be better for a reseed than the slow release of ground limestone.
granlime is only the same as the fines in ground limestone. A couple of tonnes of ground limestone would put on more quick-fix than a couple of bags of granlime plus you have the next few years covered.

granlime is only the same as the fines in ground limestone. A couple of tonnes of ground limestone would put on more quick-fix than a couple of bags of granlime plus you have the next few years covered.
Its All Calcium Carbonate, its only the Quantity that vairies.
Two tonnes acre of ground limestone is approximatly the same as 150 kg acre granular lime, according to the salesmen but it needs that ANNUALY.
It will hardly make a dent in your ph indices.
Your two tonnes of ground limestone will give you about 1500 kg of fines, just a slight difference there.
It was the byproduct of grinding limestone that had no market, then someone came up with the bright idea of adding a binder too it and marketing it as something farmers could spread themselves at a Greatly Inflated price.
It was a WASTE product.

Ritchie

Last edited:
Its All Calcium Carbonate, its only the Quantity that vairies.
Two tonnes acre of ground limestone is approximatly the same as 150 kg acre granular lime, according to the salesmen but it needs that ANNUALY.
It will hardly make a dent in your ph indices.
Your two tonnes of ground limestone will give you about 1500 kg of fines, just a slight difference there.
It was the byproduct of grinding limestone that had no market, then someone came up with the bright idea of adding a binder too it and marketing it as something farmers could spread themselves at a Greatly Inflated price.
It was a WASTE product.

Ritchie
It won't work like that I've seen it with my own eyes for myself at best ground limestone will increase pH by one point
Prilled line will only do it by .1

Your ph index works on a logarithmig scale, ph4 is about 100 times more acidic than ph5. So it depends where you start off from when applying your two tonne an acre of lime. The higher up the ph scale you are the greater the ph rise with two tonne an acre.
I agree totaly about granulated lime being WAY to expensive but sometimes you cant do without it, im not a fan but say you have a patch of your newly sown seeds suffering from acetic acid damage because there was a large amount of crop residue, well you not going to call your lime man in for that, suerly.

Ritchie

Hi all looking for advice and suggestions have new Erth Agriseeder.

Job 1
On 9th August last did first field 6 acres at same time across hedge 6 acres ploughed and reseeded. Long story short was serious success and 2 grazing before close. And matched if not surpassed the ploughing. Was more than happy.

Job 2
On 3rd September last did 12 acres. Much drier field than job 1 and we were in prob driest spell I've seen. Seed came on headlands where bit damper but struck in different times some 14 days some took up to 6 weeks to strike. There was a ground frost 2 weeks after stitching but was minimal.
Pic is off reeseding on 11th October so exactly 38 days after seeding.seedlings struck about 7 days. Why? Suggestions?

Below is the facts and what I've learned since.

1. Pre mowing farmer sprayed off sward with ForeFrontT.
2. After mowing sprayed off with roundup
3. Farmer not happy with kill so sprayed again with roundup.
4. Roughly 14 days after direct drilled then
Fertaliser spread straight after and lime was put out. So all by book.
5. One of driest September's on file.
6. 11th October. My observations nothing growing on field 38 days later headlands was a bit of a strike but still poor.
7. Fertaliser from 04/05 September 34 days still visible on ground.

Recently disced the field and was reseeded as was disaster so sorted now.
Doing 90 acres myself this year so want to get it right. Of course the machine is 100% to blame for seed not coming? Or was it ?
Did I do something wrong? Was it the spray residue( have been told should been ploughed not drilled after ForeFrontT) I dont know as never herd of forefront till now as dont do spraying. Then sprayed with roundup twice.
Was it just conditions drought/ ground frost/ low temp/ time of year.
Was it sowed to deep to fast. Is machine the fault?

One of pictures is where machine was pulled up field through what was already done this struck why ?

Really appreciate any feedback positive or negative. Want to get it right going forward as as much work doing right as wrong .

One change made got a tine harrow on back of machine to disturb surface incase spray residue.

All pics below 38 days after drilling.

View attachment 65330

Update on field
(1. Pre mowing farmer sprayed off sward with ForeFrontT.
2. After mowing sprayed off with roundup
3. Farmer not happy with kill so sprayed again with roundup.)

1. Sprayed off again with roundup. Roughly 03/04/19
2. Disced 3 times by ourselves on 13/04/19
3. Reseeded by another outfit before 20/04/19.
4. Below are the pictures on 04/06/19 so give or take 55 days.

Thoughts on results? Pics are 04/04/19.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20190603-185159-480x270.jpg
    VideoCapture_20190603-185159-480x270.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 262
  • VideoCapture_20190603-185236-480x270.jpg
    VideoCapture_20190603-185236-480x270.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 253
  • VideoCapture_20190603-185250-480x270.jpg
    VideoCapture_20190603-185250-480x270.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 253
Very weedy I doubt the farmer is happy be expecting better results after 8 weeks. R u going to spray the weeds now? Sheep?

Very weedy I doubt the farmer is happy be expecting better results after 8 weeks. R u going to spray the weeds now? Sheep?
Well I didnt do this time so not my monkey. My machine blamed last year and this time disced and reseeded and that results.

My Penny's worth is that sprayed forefrontt cut 4 weeks later then roundup then 2nd application round up then stitched then drought then sprayed for chickweed. Left for winter. Sprayed with roundup then disced 3 times and seeded. And 9 weeks on that's result. I think maybe he has overdid it on the spray maybe a tad. Not a thing to do with my machine or the man that did this year obviously it's something else. Bloody ground is near radioactive there is that much chemicals in it. And what's answer now spray for weeds or spray off ? The grass on that field would have more hope on the moon.

Well I didnt do this time so not my monkey. My machine blamed last year and this time disced and reseeded and that results.

My Penny's worth is that sprayed forefrontt cut 4 weeks later then roundup then 2nd application round up then stitched then drought then sprayed for chickweed. Left for winter. Sprayed with roundup then disced 3 times and seeded. And 9 weeks on that's result. I think maybe he has overdid it on the spray maybe a tad. Not a thing to do with my machine or the man that did this year obviously it's something else. Bloody ground is near radioactive there is that much chemicals in it. And what's answer now spray for weeds or spray off ? The grass on that field would have more hope on the moon.

It could do with a rake of sheep on it!

I’d say the sprayer wants hiding.

Ah yes the old was it the machine was the problem one.
Nothing to do with the fact that there's weed seeds dormant in the ground.
Farmer might have been questioning the spray but must have met the local haybob expert and he told him that he heard of THE VERY SAME THING happening to a field 15 miles away that was done with one of them machines and a red tractor on it too!!!!
Didn't matter then if the Lord himself came down and gave the proper explanation you were screwed.
Why is it lads always listen to fellas that don't know there head from there arse :scratchhead:

Hard tell from the pictures, but my thinking is too much spray and not enough fertiliser, the grass should be well up by now. Why was he reseeding in the first place?

The answer.
Tell him to ffup off and send him a bill for the disking.

Back