Once a day milking

Any 1 on here milking cows once a day ? Like i presume this only suits a certain breed of cow like jersey crosses ..

As I understand it you need to figure on which system you want.
Theres proper 24hr milking. I.e in the parlour every 24hrs
Or 18 hr milking where you go 18hrs from one milking to the next.
AFAIK both systems suit diferent breeds

Now I don't milk so don't hold me to that! Looked into it once

Any 1 on here milking cows once a day ? Like i presume this only suits a certain breed of cow like jersey crosses ..
I think from what I've read that you can get production to the national average around 440kgs solids on OAD milking. But for the first few years you'll be culling pretty heavily.
High SCC cows will be found out and won't suit. If you have a low SCC herd already though you might get on well even in the first few years and the OAD milking and less stress to maximize yield increases incalf rates so you'll need less replacements more chance to improve the herd quicker.

A totally left field idea here but how about keeping a fleckvieh, try to get a medium yield round 7500ltrs, milk her once but let the calf run with her? You'll get a smashing calf and should have 3-3500ltrs for the tank......maybe?

A totally left field idea here but how about keeping a fleckvieh, try to get a medium yield round 7500ltrs, milk her once but let the calf run with her? You'll get a smashing calf and should have 3-3500ltrs for the tank......maybe?
Once a few cow calve at one time. SCCs jump too 150 too 190000 then drop back under 100.000

Would it be possible to start off in dairy with oad. Have suckles at the moment with a full time job. Thinking if I could get into the dairy oad could go part time in the job. There is 1.5 to 2 km walk from some fields so was thinking that oad would suit it if it was feasible from the get go.

Would it be possible to start off in dairy with oad. Have suckles at the moment with a full time job. Thinking if I could get into the dairy oad could go part time in the job. There is 1.5 to 2 km walk from some fields so was thinking that oad would suit it if it was feasible from the get go.
You calf cows all ready so thats one hurdle you all ready jump ,it will take an hour to fetch cows to milk on a long walk .Production costs are at least 20 cent + per litre and probably higher with oad .I think holstein type cow are best suited to oad as they will yield better where br fr will get thick fat .Dairying is not as profitable as it is made out to be but still miles ahead of suckers once you do not expect to be a millionaire boot on

Milking myself twice a day .
Walking cows that distance would sicken anyone . You would be wondering what the hell you were thinking of , getting into cows , before the 1st month was over .Certainly not feasible while also under the pressure of a day job . Others may disagree .

neighbours has his few beef cattle and sucklers and also has a full time job. he is happy at where he is. he did think about going into cows but didnt make sense as there is quite a bit of up front costs for little return

I'd nearly be sticking to the full time job if ur happy at it and want to continue do what it doing...I know of a lad who recently got into dairying. Was rearing 100 calves and had an off farm job... He's much happier now and is the wife as he's much more flexible now gets to see the family a lot more as he's not work night and day

Are there many fields that far away. Could you cut silage off them and then you'd only have to walk them for a part of the year. I'd twice a day milking lads with long walks would usually leave them near the yard at night.

I've heard of lads peddling the dairy lies but it's just getting farcical now to say someone has a happy wife!!!!!

Don't be jealous now if a full time lorry driver/mechanic is looking in on a oad milking tread he to must be looking far far away for a happy wife !!!

Reactions: max
Back