Winter Oats 2020

nashmach

Just setting this up for the next harvest year as well as we have the barley and wheat threads already.

Should I try Isabel? Husky didn't do anything special here this year though I know oats in general didn't have a great year despite staying very clean.

Husky did 3.6 t/ acre with good Bushel and no lodging with 100 units of Nitrogen. I have a few damper fields for Oats this year with historically high yield.

Husky did 3.6 t/ acre with good Bushel and no lodging with 100 units of Nitrogen. I have a few damper fields for Oats this year with historically high yield.
Easy enough know how you’ll spend your spoils
Is the new bypass in Enniscorthy any help on your grand tour to south east corner
At least you won’t have to stop at bridge anymore and observe the untamed masses

Should I try Isabel? Husky didn't do anything special here this year though I know oats in general didn't have a great year despite staying very clean.

Isabel probably won’t bring any huge leap in yield over Husky when autumn sown (it will be a big leap when spring sown).

Isabel will bring much better Crown Rust resistance, much better resistance to lodging & breakdown at harvest and also much better KPH.

Isabel probably won’t bring any huge leap in yield over Husky when autumn sown (it will be a big leap when spring sown).

Isabel will bring much better Crown Rust resistance, much better resistance to lodging & breakdown at harvest and also much better KPH.
Better lodging resistance and kph is a big help.
What are lads getting paid for oats? Glanbia have made on-account payments and the oat price is nearly €20 less than barley.

Better lodging resistance and kph is a big help.
What are lads getting paid for oats? Glanbia have made on-account payments and the oat price is nearly €20 less than barley.

I agree,
Good straw and kph often seem to go hand in hand, if a crop goes down, the kph usually follows it in my experience!

I had ten acres of spring oats this year only set it because of the three crop rule on a place we are share farming. It was Isabel sown the first week of April. It yielded slightly better than the winter oats and had a better KPH. It cost a lot less to grow and was spotless all through the year. It was ripe the same time as spring barley sown next to it at the same time. I am tempted to go with it again next spring.

I've a field here that is plaguing me with grass , will WO be competitive enough to clean it up for me? This is year 5 after grass. It does not like wet weather, the SB was very very sick in April after the heavy rain which doesn't help with the grass either.

Am I likely to run into trouble with WO? Only have small acres and it is beside the road so no room for blunders either :blushing: equally I don't want to have to make a mess keeping sprays etc up to date as it took a while to get this field to where it is.

Mid Cork has thrown a spanner in the works now on me though.... I need to access SB ground though through this.

Plant it in the autumn with a very high seeding rate and put very little Nitrogen on it in the spring to avoid lodging . Oats soaks up nitrogen and will out compete any grass if it is thick enough .

I've a field here that is plaguing me with grass , will WO be competitive enough to clean it up for me? This is year 5 after grass. It does not like wet weather, the SB was very very sick in April after the heavy rain which doesn't help with the grass either.

Am I likely to run into trouble with WO? Only have small acres and it is beside the road so no room for blunders either :blushing: equally I don't want to have to make a mess keeping sprays etc up to date as it took a while to get this field to where it is.

Mid Cork has thrown a spanner in the works now on me though.... I need to access SB ground though through this.
You would have less trouble from grass weeds on a spring crop.

Oats is a natural herbicide in itself, competes well and gets ahead of grass, the organic lads grow it and get good results.

I’m sure some of you will already know but Ireland lost a gentleman and a great crop researcher yesterday.

His name was John Finnan, he worked with Teagasc Oakpark and had done some excellent and badly needed research on the oat crop in recent years. Prior to that he conducted research on energy crops.

He died yesterday in a plane crash in Wexford.

A complete and utter gentleman, you couldn’t find someone more helpful and anxious to share his knowledge.

May he Rest In Peace.

Does oats need good conditions like barley or is it more like wheat?
Oats will grow in conditions that are even poorer than wheat would tolerate. Increase the seeding rate as conditions deteriorate.
I hope it doesn’t come to that...

Oats will grow in conditions that are even poorer than wheat would tolerate. Increase the seeding rate as conditions deteriorate.
I hope it doesn’t come to that...

I don’t like disagreeing but I find oats very sensitive to stress. They might survive but will take a hit.

Back