Yorkshire boarding

glengare

What is the best type of timber to use for boarding. And is it 4” x1” people are using

Lads how would ye close up the shed pictured below to limit rain blowing in to the shed and excessive wind speed .
43F16F59-EA16-4C73-9D39-78D34E506A6D.jpeg

Shed is facing south . Worst weather hits from a south westerly direction. . Yorkshire boarding/ space boarding/ or sheeting from barriers up and leaving a 300mm opening at the top . Shed is 13 m wide with 2 m and 3m openings . . No interest in vented sheeting.
East facing side probably sheeted leaving 300mm opening at the top . North facing side left open for now as sheltered by another shed on the north west side . West side connected to another shed so no issues there .
All options considered. Have it priced up every way with Yorkshire boarding been the dearest option and also the most work . Mind that wouldn’t stop it been used if the best option ?

Lads how would ye close up the shed pictured below to limit rain blowing in to the shed and excessive wind speed .
View attachment 72116

Shed is facing south . Worst weather hits from a south westerly direction. . Yorkshire boarding/ space boarding/ or sheeting from barriers up and leaving a 300mm opening at the top . Shed is 13 m wide with 2 m and 3m openings . . No interest in vented sheeting.
East facing side probably sheeted leaving 300mm opening at the top . North facing side left open for now as sheltered by another shed on the north west side . West side connected to another shed so no issues there .
All options considered. Have it priced up every way with Yorkshire boarding been the dearest option and also the most work . Mind that wouldn’t stop it been used if the best option ?
When you're sheeting the side bolt the bottom timber to the outside of the rsj this gives good ventilation. Gaps on the top let in rain and a bad draught if the wind is in the wrong place. Have plenty of vented sheets here and they're just not effective. The gap under the sheet is the job.

Does that have ratchet straps stitched in to it . Priced Gale breaker last year and it was mad money for it compared to other options. Ended up using this stuff worked well enough one ratchet strap at the bottom with the netting cable tied to it and screwed to timber on top
https://www.screwfix.ie/p/scaffold-debris-netting-green/8242j
Still have it up in a easterly facing shed

Yeah there are straps attached to it and then eyelets on the top and bottom if you want to secure it that extra bit

We're converting a straw shed here into a calf shed for an auto feeder.

We need to put something up on the front and sides for ventilation, by father doest want Yorkshire boarding he says- dont know why.
Vented sheeting isnt good enough
Any options. There will be 75 calves in that shed at peak

Attachments

• 20191207_162625.jpg
    20191207_162625.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 99

We need to put something up on the front and sides for ventilation, by father doest want Yorkshire boarding he says- dont know why.
What direction is it facing. Windbreaker netting is the only other alternative.

Facing E/SE
Most of the front is sheltered from a house running along to the right hand side
Put up a shed last year, would have been nearly 6ft high space boarding one side. Great ventilation but when the rain was coming from that side the sheep were drowned wet. Looked at getting that gale breaker netting from clonmel covers I think it was but it was coming in at over 600 for the 3 bays. So said I'd try yorkshire boarding, original boards were 4x1's so kept them and put up two 2x1.5" lathes between the two rows. Works mighty sheep are dry and still good ventilation... Its well worth considering if ya could convince your father.

You need to work out the amount of air inlet and outlet area, generally vented sheeting won’t leave enough air in, and also more likely to get moisture going through it. Yorkshire boarding generally works well

On the weather gable of my shed I did the gap only 1/2” on the other gable I did the gap at 1”,it’s just about right but I always use the thicker 3/4” boarding.

Sheets but set so that there is a good gap between the botom of the sheet and the wall. At least 300mm.
And if there is enough overhang at the top to stop rain, finish them maybe 2-300mm from the top.

Keep meaning to do the gables on two of my sheds like that.

Galebreaker pillar to pillar, easy take it down and have the shed for other uses when the calves are finished.

F6E45408-0A1E-486E-99B6-8FE9AFD9E047.jpeg 54E9D264-EA5E-4030-99FA-C44CEE91DCF9.jpg
Can someone put up a picture of yorkshire boarding done right?
Pic is of Yorkshire boarding I’m putting up today 150 x 22 treated boards with a 50 mm opening between them . Nailed to 6x3 timbers . 6x3 are standing up so there’ll be a 3” space between the rows of boarding . (Only a single row up yet )The measurements above are what I decided on after reading countless threads on it on different forums . And having talked to an ‘expert’ about correct ventilation.

Last edited:
Where did you get the boarding?
I think why my father doesn't like it is because it was up on a shed here before but it only had it on the front. If I was to put it up again it would be back and front.

Yours looks really good.
Our shed is visible to anyone that drives into the house, I think the boarding would look well

View attachment 72971 View attachment 72969
Pic is of Yorkshire boarding I’m putting up today 150 x 22 treated boards with a 50 mm opening between them . Nailed to 6x3 timbers . 6x3 are standing up so there’ll be a 3” space between the rows of boarding . (Only a single row up yet )The measurements above are what I decided on after reading countless threads on it on different forums . And having talked to an ‘expert’ about correct ventilation.

Looks like mines a combination of the two,single row of boards but 6” wide boards.:rolleyes2:

Back