Slatted shed

What are farmers opinions on using a 20'6 slat at 125 euro a foot verus twin slats at 10'6 with a dividing wall down the centre of the tank?

I am currently costing for a tank.

Thanks for any replies.

@Mf240 has a tank done with the 2 x 10ft 6 slats . The lad that built it would be a big fan of that style tank , as he reckons they are easier to agitate .
The same builder did a 16 ft 6 tank here for me 3 and a half years ago and 8 ft deep . I have no complaints with it .

@Mf240 has a tank done with the 2 x 10ft 6 slats . The lad that built it would be a big fan of that style tank , as he reckons they are easier to agitate .
The same builder did a 16 ft 6 tank here for me 3 and a half years ago and 8 ft deep . I have no complaints with it .

It's a 2 by 14 6 jf and 9 ft deep. Was built with extra storage to make up for another cubicle shed with not enough.

How long is the proposed tank, bear in mind that tanks with a centre wall and support beams at each end do not mix properly until the slurry level drops below the end beam and will need two agitation points at each end, also centre walls tend to have thicker slurry at the feed passage side.

It's a 2 by 14 6 jf and 9 ft deep. Was built with extra storage to make up for another cubicle shed with not enough.

Sorry . I thought yours was 10ft 6 x 2 . Same builder did a 2 x 10ft 6 for a relation of mine in 2018 .

How do find agitating it ? How much space is left at the end of the spine wall and the gable wall? Do you know the cost per foot. I am considering a 70 ft long double tank.

How long is the proposed tank, bear in mind that tanks with a centre wall and support beams at each end do not mix properly until the slurry level drops below the end beam and will need two agitation points at each end, also centre walls tend to have thicker slurry at the feed passage side.

I was going for a double 70ft Tank.

How do find agitating it ? How much space is left at the end of the spine wall and the gable wall? Do you know the cost per foot. I am considering a 70 ft long double tank.

Agitating is fine. I think there is around eight or ten foot between the gable and the spine wall at both ends. I'm not sure on costs I'd had to look it up

2 10ft6 with a spine wall here in a 70ft tank and never any issue with mixing it, we’ve only one agitation point on each end but there on the diagonal to each other so one blows directly up each side. We can get away with mixing it from one point at times. As Arthur says if it gets up touching the beam it does get a bit harder to mix as you can’t get the crust to float around.
Spine wall makes it very easy to mix as imyou can get the whole tank circulating rather than it going half way up the shed then cutting across the easiest path and back around.

I know this is a silly question but how much of the actual slat needs to rest on the wall of the tank. Is 6 inch sufficient or does it need more?

I know this is a silly question but how much of the actual slat needs to rest on the wall of the tank. Is 6 inch sufficient or does it need more?
6” of slat is all that’s needed on the wall . Well it’s actually only 4 1/2” maybe 5 “ that’ll sit on the wall . As there’s a slight taper on the slat edge .

I'd like to see more resting on the wall with the 20'6", you are carrying more than twice the load of 2 x 10'6"

6” but I’d agree I’d like more on a 20ft! We had to adjust the dimensions of the latest tank here to keep the dept happy that we’d 6” on a 16ft6 slat

Thanks for all the replies very helpful.
I was in a slatted house that went up in 1980. It 70ft x 10ft tank. However it only has one agitation point. 3'6 outside the shed. Apart from department regulations how necessary is a second agitation point.

Thanks for all the replies very helpful.
I was in a slatted house that went up in 1980. It 70ft x 10ft tank. However it only has one agitation point. 3'6 outside the shed. Apart from department regulations how necessary is a second agitation point.
For that length you'd definitely need a point at each end.

Does anyone have experience of tanks 150ft in length? Would need center mixing points obviously. Any reason not to have one that long? 30ft double tank with center wall. Maybe even split in the middle as two 75ft tanks so you can get the slurry circulating round properly.

Does anyone have experience of tanks 150ft in length? Would need center mixing points obviously. Any reason not to have one that long? 30ft double tank with center wall. Maybe even split in the middle as two 75ft tanks so you can get the slurry circulating round properly.
We’re mixing one last few years 100X30X9 with a centre wall everyone said to them to put in middle points but they only have the 4 corners and they are literally right on the very corners of the tank, no problems so far thankfully but I’d say it’s probably about the limit, one bug problem with it is if your not emptying it in one go it’s very hard to mix when it gets to a certain point as the mixer can’t reach fully. Might be worth splitting it if you can so you can spread it at different points

I was in this shed, I don't remember what length the tank is but it only goes half way up the shed,if you look in the first video you will see the solid concrete floor half way up. They have a pipe beside the mixing point and it's buried in the ground along side the tank and goes to the far end of the tank, they hook it up the the mixer and pump the slurry round in a circle.

There's a farm near here with a shed that's about 300' long and about 130 wide and mixes it full length from the end, it's just a case of getting the right pump for the job. Was running it on a Valtra t190 when I was last there, it was absolutely on its limits but was doing it.

Anyone put a rough price on an 8 bay tank (41.5m length), 8ft depth storage depth, 16 foot 6 inch slat, not a grant aided job. Excluding excavation and slats, just interested in the cost to shutter, concrete costs, some stone for the base and rebar for the tank itself. I did a rough sum and ended up with circa 25k? Am I in the right ball park? Few years since we did a tank so not that familiar with recent changes cost wise.

Lads anyone here got a double tank slatted shed feeding on both sides . Talking to someone yesterday thinking of building on . Only issue he has is feeding passages are on the east and west sides of the shed . Shed would be a clear span A frame shed with a canopy over the feeding passages .

Back