Steyr

Strong money, but all getting strong now with the price of new tractors, drove her couldn’t find much fault only one spool not working and front suspension accumulators need gassing. Tuff men down that way @kverneland es 80 wouldnt give anything away!!!

110’s woulnt be as popular would they ? I was led to believe there a bit underpowered ?
I don't know, you would see about as many 110's as 150's for sale I would say. If you were used to a bigger tractor they probably would seem underpowered, anyone I've ever spoke to always seem happy enough anyway!

Strong money, but all getting strong now with the price of new tractors, drove her couldn’t find much fault only one spool not working and front suspension accumulators need gassing. Tuff men down that way @kverneland es 80 wouldnt give anything away!!!
Tuff men alright. I was trying to buy a 390 from them .couldn't deal.they would be good to have things right going out tho. Probably not doing much this week as they buried their mother yesterday

I don't know, you would see about as many 110's as 150's for sale I would say. If you were used to a bigger tractor they probably would seem underpowered, anyone I've ever spoke to always seem happy enough anyway!

When we bought the cs94 i was trying to steer the aul lad towards a cs110 but he was saying that it would be too big and he wasn't a fan of the electrics or all the buttons on the one stick. Most livestock lads are sticking with tractors 115-130hp now as a small tractor are the days of 80hp-100hp as a livestock tractor going ?

When we bought the cs94 i was trying to steer the aul lad towards a cs110 but he was saying that it would be too big and he wasn't a fan of the electrics or all the buttons on the one stick. Most livestock lads are sticking with tractors 115-130hp now as a small tractor are the days of 80hp-100hp as a livestock tractor going ?
Time moves on I guess, I'm not sure it is justified but there are lots of lads out there with 80+k sunk into a tractor to do simple enough jobs in greater comfort. Lovely to drive but a depreciating asset at the end of the day.
Is it just a phallus measuring contest?

Time moves on I guess, I'm not sure it is justified but there are lots of lads out there with 80+k sunk into a tractor to do simple enough jobs in greater comfort. Lovely to drive but a depreciating asset at the end of the day.
Is it just a phallus measuring contest?

We moved to a more comfortable tractor very recently (cab suspension, good seat and good front suspension).

Got a back scan recently too. Saw the results today - two bulging discs and much more back wear than my GP was expecting to see.

Very pleased with the move to more comfort now.....

Local lad here was always having issues with his back dairy farmer . Hard work was always blamed for it . His main tractor was a ford 5000 . Finally upgraded his tractor 7 yrs ago . Miraculously his back issues went away .
We moved to a more comfortable tractor very recently (cab suspension, good seat and good front suspension).

Got a back scan recently too. Saw the results today - two bulging discs and much more back wear than my GP was expecting to see.

Is there that much difference comfort wise between a 30 series premium and your Fendt?
I'm sure reliability was a prime motivator when you changed with the tillage work you do?

Do you need an 80k tractor to follow a herd of cows with a bag of fertilizer is what I'm asking.

Is there that much difference comfort wise between a 30 series premium and your Fendt?
I'm sure reliability was a prime motivator when you changed with the tillage work you do?

Do you need an 80k tractor to follow a herd of cows with a bag of fertilizer is what I'm asking.

A massive difference, much more than I expected.

Yes, you’re right - reliability was the major factor.

Whether someone can justify an 80k tractor for topping and spreading fert is subjective in my opinion.
They might rather have a nice tractor rather than paying some of the value in tax so it can be wasted by the government.
They might have an interest in machinery and get a kick out of it that way.
They might see it as a way of encouraging the next generation to stay involved on the farm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why would someone drive a new BMW, Mercedes or Audi to get from A to B when it could be done with a ten year old Kia C'eed.

Whether someone can justify an 80k tractor for topping and spreading fert is subjective in my opinion.
They might rather have a nice tractor rather than paying some of the value in tax so it can be wasted by the government.
They might have an interest in machinery and get a kick out of it that way.
They might see it as a way of encouraging the next generation to stay involved on the farm.
I don't understand that mentality, it all seems extremely wasteful. Why not spend that money on infrastructure to make your life easier?

Opulence?

:unsure: I guess there is a big difference between needing something and wanting something.

If one chooses to live somewhere without excellent public transport or chooses a job outside the practical public transport links then they need a car.

If they want to drive a nicer car then that's a want, a choice.

I drive a BMW (so does my wife, hers was bought second hand from the UK and thus far touching wood here, has put up almost 200k miles in a very reliable manner).
We both drive a fair bit for work and I have driven a lot of different cars over the years putting up a lot of mileage.
The BMW is a car which I can honestly say, I look forward to driving regardless of the distance that I have to cover.
I am sure, plenty of people will look at me and say - there's a show off pric* in his beemer or whatever but I couldn't honestly give two hoots.

The reason I like driving it is the comfort, I haven't found another brand that comes close (perhaps Mercedes). By comfort I mean, the smoothness on the road, the handling on motorways etc and the features. I also like the way it looks.

We'll be dead long enough and it'll all be there after us.

I don't understand that mentality, it all seems extremely wasteful. Why not spend that money on infrastructure to make your life easier?

I hear where you are coming from. It's different mindsets, not everyone thinks the same and we just have to accept that.

I would view a good tractor a piece of infrastructure that can make your life easier if it is more comfortable and/or can get through the work a bit quicker.

It might also be a bit more encouraging to hop up on a machine that's nicer to use which might mean the job gets done more timely. For example, you're at the end of a tiring day on the farm or on an off farm job. There's a pallet of fertiliser that could do with spreading but it's not a matter of life or death. The big comfortable tractor will be more tempting to most to hop up on after tea to spread the fert than the smaller older machine - the fert gets spread before the drop of rain and the grass gets growing a bit quicker.

Listening to the old man and others complaining about bad backs from uncomfortable tractors is one big factor.
We could get bye with a 30 yr old tractor. But a clutchless transmition and nice light steering and ergonomic functions are a big BIG bonus to me. When ur flat out busy you don't want more hardship. Even if the busy isn't for a long stretch.

John driving a nice Fendt tractor and nice BMW car is his choice. He has a good job and i assume comfortable money wise. He could drive a old tractor and clapped out car like a relation of mine but at the end of the day when you die you cannot bring the money with you to the grave so spending it on stuff that makes you happy in my view is the right thing.

I might not be able to afford a new Fendt but as regards comfort, i have replaced a few tractor seats with new grammer air seats and some day if i do win the lottery i will buy a new Fendt. We all buy generally what we can afford, if not there would be a lot more belarus tractors been bought.

Looks a tidy tractor

Attachments

• B378E3F2-E44E-4C8F-87DF-7347F3CBE35B.png
    B378E3F2-E44E-4C8F-87DF-7347F3CBE35B.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 44
Back