Wholecrop spring barley?

Peter

I might have access to extra land away from the farm in the spring. I was thinking about sowing barley in it and getting in a contractor to wholecrop it and put in the pit and cut less second cut silage.
Would 250 euros for inputs and another 200 have it home in the pit?

I might have access to extra land away from the farm in the spring. I was thinking about sowing barley in it and getting in a contractor to wholecrop it and put in the pit and cut less second cut silage.
Would 250 euros for inputs and another 200 have it home in the pit?
Put a loose figure of €300 an acre plus vat for all the inputs and work to get it ready for the harvester, add the cost of harvesting and drawing it into that then

Still thinking about this. Land needs be re seeded anyway plus needs to be fenced an for cattle. Debating over sowing barley in April and wholecropping versus grasseed.

Would the barley work out better economically ?

Still thinking about this. Land needs be re seeded anyway plus needs to be fenced an for cattle. Debating over sowing barley in April and wholecropping versus grasseed.

Would the barley work out better economically ?
A barley oat and pea mix would do a good job I'd say

personally I hate undersowing
you either get grass or grain never a good mix of the 2

Either grass or barley. I'm not sowing arable silage. I'm trying to find out whether it would be better to get one cut of barley versus multiple cuts of grass.

Go for the barley, use the time to get PH and p and K in order, level seedbed and min Till in the grasseeds early August when the whole crop is gone. Make sure you cut the whole crop with the proper harvestor, head and cracker, waste of time otherwise. You’ll still have nice grass in mid October as the whole crop will be out 1st August and in quick with the grass then.

Go for the barley, use the time to get PH and p and K in order, level seedbed and min Till in the grasseeds early August when the whole crop is gone. Make sure you cut the whole crop with the proper harvestor, head and cracker, waste of time otherwise. You’ll still have nice grass in mid October as the whole crop will be out 1st August and in quick with the grass then.
Will give you a couple of chances to reduce weeds aswell, in the barley, and if barley went in early and was off early you could give it a scratch to germinate more of them before sowing, clover safe weed control isn't possible anymore.

If I'm sowing it my plan would be to get a contractor to plough and sow it and spray it and cut it with a wholecrop header. Its over 5 miles away and it would be slow work with the wagon drawing grass off it and it would need to be fenced if grazing.

Will give you a couple of chances to reduce weeds aswell, in the barley, and if barley went in early and was off early you could give it a scratch to germinate more of them before sowing, clover safe weed control isn't possible anymore.

Would it be possible to go from the barley into a crop of winter wheat instead of re seeding? I buy in a lot of feed during the winter to finish cattle and it does be get scarce when cows start calving in the spring.

If I'm sowing it my plan would be to get a contractor to plough and sow it and spray it and cut it with a wholecrop header. Its over 5 miles away and it would be slow work with the wagon drawing grass off it and it would need to be fenced if grazing.

Would it be possible to go from the barley into a crop of winter wheat instead of re seeding? I buy in a lot of feed during the winter to finish cattle and it does be get scarce when cows start calving in the spring.
Don’t bother messing with winter wheat, too costly and not worth the risk, winter barley whole crop a lot better option.

Is it worth it if your going to spend that much on it?

Is it worth it if your going to spend that much on it?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I've found over the past couple of years that when silage was scarce and i fed the finishing cattle on a meal/ beet diet that they preformed as well if not better than if they were fed a silage/ meal.
This option would also give me the option of not needing to close up ground for second cut silage too.

Would I need two fungicide sprays along with weeds and aphids and how much per acre would it cost me at worst case?

If you're going to under sow it I'd go with spring wheat rather than barley as it's more open and less chance of grass getting smothered

Id under sow it, take your wholecrop cut in July and you'll have another cut of grass in September.
You'll get 2 ton of barley, new grass in the mix and 8 bales to the acre in the next cut.
Prob work out a lot better than maize.

A customer has asked me to do 14 acres of this dirty silage as I call it this year. Barley and grass he wants to do. Iv only an Amazone box drill one pass, what’s the best way to go about this for sowing ? Has anyone done anything similiar ?

A customer has asked me to do 14 acres of this dirty silage as I call it this year. Barley and grass he wants to do. Iv only an Amazone box drill one pass, what’s the best way to go about this for sowing ? Has anyone done anything similiar ?
sow corn as normal the either harrow and spin the grass on top
or set your box drill so the harrow isnt working then sow the grass on top

I spread the barley with the fert spreader and then the contactor sowed the grass with the one pass. Worked grand

Well its a month sown and I haven't yet sprayed it for anything yet as it looked fairly clean on the weed side of things.
Would a weed and a fungicide spray together cover it until harvesting?
20200609_151320.jpg

Back