macerators & dribble bars

8 grand extra was the main reason. Couldn't justify it for our own work.would have to upgrade the tractor too to pull one with the shoe on hills

the trailing shoe is fairly awkward on a tandem, awful tail swing on the one here, there's been a good few gate posts wiped out around here!:whistle::whistle::whistle:

the trailing shoe is fairly awkward on a tandem, awful tail swing on the one here, there's been a good few gate posts wiped out around here!:whistle::whistle::whistle:
Used single and tandem 2500's, tandem more awkward when reversing but never wiped a gate post, it has steering axle so would turn shorter and with more tail swing, lock it to reduce the tailswing.
8 grand extra was the main reason. Couldn't justify it for our own work.would have to upgrade the tractor too to pull one with the shoe on hills
It's not the weight of the shoe more the drag when its on the ground, of course can't go in reverse like with a splash plate to get the last bit out on slopes so can be tricky on steeper ground with the slurry at the back and shoe down.

Well wear. That’s a fine looking setup Delboy.
What width is that ?
What hp would you need minimum to drive that comfortably?
7m width . It all depends on your land type how much power u need. I could work away with 100hp on a 2500g here with splash plate. Id say an extra 25hp is needed to work the new system. Its the fact you have the hydraulics pumping for the mascerator and your driving faster spreading.

7m width . It all depends on your land type how much power u need. I could work away with 100hp on a 2500g here with splash plate. Id say an extra 25hp is needed to work the new system. Its the fact you have the hydraulics pumping for the mascerator and your driving faster spreading.
The driving faster spreading is the big one at low revs, no bother if you have a flat farm.... Hills are another issue.

Tail swing can be awkward but the only gate posts you wipe out are the ones in the wrong place :Thumbp2:
The driving faster spreading is the big one at low revs, no bother if you have a flat farm.... Hills are another issue.
that's easily sorted by speccing the right pump, have 1000 speed pump here needs about 650 to spread no bother in 1000 on the flat on steep stuff just switch to 540e and rev harder

Tail swing can be awkward but the only gate posts you wipe out are the ones in the wrong place :Thumbp2:
that's easily sorted by speccing the right pump, have 1000 speed pump here needs about 650 to spread no bother in 1000 on the flat on steep stuff just switch to 540e and rev harder
Thats an excellent idea, too late for those that have bought but a good point for anyone in the market! Are 1000 speed pumps common?

Thats an excellent idea, too late for those that have bought but a good point for anyone in the market! Are 1000 speed pumps common?
3 of the last 4 tankers I've bought have had the 1000 speed pump. Wouldn't want to be without it and the wide angle pto now. Tanker I have now has a jurop pn106 pump which is a common enough pump the pto spped is just different in the gearbox at the front

3 of the last 4 tankers I've bought have had the 1000 speed pump. Wouldn't want to be without it and the wide angle pto now. Tanker I have now has a jurop pn106 pump which is a common enough pump the pto spped is just different in the gearbox at the front
I wonder is it possible to change the gearing in front of the pump?

Used single and tandem 2500's, tandem more awkward when reversing but never wiped a gate post, it has steering axle so would turn shorter and with more tail swing, lock it to reduce the tailswing.
It's not the weight of the shoe more the drag when its on the ground, of course can't go in reverse like with a splash plate to get the last bit out on slopes so can be tricky on steeper ground with the slurry at the back and shoe down.

I have the bomach shoe which is longer than most as its rear folding, then its mounted on a 3 point linkage which adds another 3 odd feet to the length of it!!

I have the bomach shoe which is longer than most as its rear folding, then its mounted on a 3 point linkage which adds another 3 odd feet to the length of it!!
My Abbey folds the same way as the Bomech, no 3pt just bracketed onto the tank so not as long but a fairly solid lump of metal at the corner where it hinges.

That’s a cross tanker Houlie?
How do you find the bomech isn’t there a breakaway on those systems if you go near an Esb pole for example ( or it might be an optional extra )

Be better off fitting a hydraulic motor,you’d never go back to pto after.
If you have a tractor with a fixed displacement pump which wouldn’t have the fastest spools... would it work a hydraulic driven pump ok as well as the spools that are needed for the dribble bar etc ?

Or are you best to stick with wide angle pto?

Last edited:
If you have a tractor with a fixed displacement pump which wouldn’t have the fastest spools... would it work a hydraulic driven pump ok as well as the spools that are needed for the dribble bar etc ?

Or are you best to stick with wide angle pto?

A macerator takes very little to run,I run mine at less than 10% so running a hydraulic vac pump at the same time shouldn’t be a problem well depends how many litres/minute you’ve got on the front,anything over 100lpm will be fine.

Be better off fitting a hydraulic motor,you’d never go back to pto after.
Already need 2 spools for the boom and mascerator. Wat if ya had a hydraulic change over or lazy arm and then theres pipes for the splash plate if needed. Not every1 has new tractors with 4 spools

Last edited:
What kind of money would you be talking to get set up with a dribble bar on an existing tank?? Hi spec 2000

Back