Calf barrow

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/23918420
Calf Barrow *ARE YOU READY FOR CALVING TIME*

anybody here using these calf barrows. How do you find them.

I used mine for the 1st time of 2020 today :rolleyes2: I wasn’t expecting it for a couple of days.

Senior management bought it unknown to me . Gave it to me for Valentines Day 3 years ago.
I probably would have thought it a waste of time , but count it invaluable now . You aren’t going to use it for every calf , but when you are “ caught out “ , it’s a gift .
You bring the barrow in to the calf , leaving the handles either side of the calf , with the calf’s head facing away . You catch the 2 back legs and pull it into the barrow on its back . It’s head is left hanging down , draining any fluid out of the calf’s lungs . It is in the ideal position to wash the calf’s navel/ put iodine on it . When you get to the shed , you “ tip “ the calf out of the barrow , and it usually lands lying on its hunkers.
No one can afford to put their back out lifting or dragging a calf at this time of the year . who would replace you ?

There are a job and a half ,as jf said you won’t need it on every calf but it’s the only job on the likes of a blue calf

I used mine for the 1st time of 2020 today :rolleyes2: I wasn’t expecting it for a couple of days.

Senior management bought it unknown to me . Gave it to me for Valentines Day 3 years ago.
I probably would have thought it a waste of time , but count it invaluable now . You aren’t going to use it for every calf , but when you are “ caught out “ , it’s a gift .
You bring the barrow in to the calf , leaving the handles either side of the calf , with the calf’s head facing away . You catch the 2 back legs and pull it into the barrow on its back . It’s head is left hanging down , draining any fluid out of the calf’s lungs . It is in the ideal position to wash the calf’s navel/ put iodine on it . When you get to the shed , you “ tip “ the calf out of the barrow , and it usually lands lying on its hunkers.
No one can afford to put their back out lifting or dragging a calf at this time of the year . who would replace you ?

yeah I’d a surprise on the slats last night was trying to get calf into ordinary barrow and thought there must be something handier than this. Think I’ll make a purchase in morning thanks for help. Happy calving people

Be cheaper to get an old pram and put a cut down 200l plastic drum in place of the tub.
I had the very same thought. I nearly go so far as stretch to the €30 for a pair of puncture proof wheel barrow wheels and leave the pram alone!

Reactions: Paw
Back using the calf barrow again for another year. A gift of a thing as our calf shed is a good distance away from the cow shed.

Has anyone made a useful calf barrow or got a pic of a decent design? Used a low wheelbarrow tonight and although it’s not perfect, modifications will be done. I used to just scoop the calf up in my arms and carry it 30 meters to the pen but it’s silly practice for my back.

Has anyone made a useful calf barrow or got a pic of a decent design? Used a low wheelbarrow tonight and although it’s not perfect, modifications will be done. I used to just scoop the calf up in my arms and carry it 30 meters to the pen but it’s silly practice for my back.
I watch sonne farms on YouTube and they have half a blue barrel cut from top to bottom with a long handle on it and just drag it on the ground. Simple

Thanks, that looks a great job.

It is . I have one here probably 4 years . My wife ordered it , and I was "What the hell did you order that for ? " A great job .
Think about it . In a busy spring situation, the last thing you can afford is fecking up your back , lifting a calf . Plus , where would you get anyone to do your work , while you were laid up .

It is . I have one here probably 4 years . My wife ordered it , and I was "What the hell did you order that for ? " A great job .
Think about it . In a busy spring situation, the last thing you can afford is fecking up your back , lifting a calf . Plus , where would you get anyone to do your work , while you were laid up .
Exactly, a few visits to a chiropractor with your back would pay for it.

Was going to buy on but bought a JFC twin wheeled barrow.instead. Tip it up and the calf slides in every bit as easy. Can carry two and used for other purposes.

Back