Spring Wheat

As always with such wholecrop analysis I wonder lads bother with maize. I regularly got starch over 30 and ME at 12 if cut 30-35%

One of the big attractions to maize for livestock farmers is that it doesn’t take as much management to grow it. Plant it and close the gate whereas a cereal crop will take more minding.

That said, you can grow a cereal crop in many more sites than maize and the wholecrop cereal will be harvested much earlier.

What is the bulk density of wholecrop there is about 350 cubic meters, if you take 650kg per cubic meter, it was 15 AC so around 15 T/AC not sure on the 650 kg figure.

I don’t know but I suppose you could try measuring a couple of litres of undisturbed silage from the pit?

Are you not able to get big cereal crops, or are you constantly able to get huge maize crops grown cheap?
Maize does well for us and so do cereals as sites suit both, more so maize. My point was that maize can yield more at a lower cost per tonne than wholecrop in some places but not others. When plastic is taken Into account then whole crop 6 row winter barley is very hard to beat.
Edit-maize and grains are grown by ourselves so have them at first cost.

As spring wheat seed is extremely short in supply this year, Goldcrop are importing a quantity of Harenda spring wheat from Poland to make up the shortfall.

Harenda has been in Irish trials for 3 years (2017 in Goldcrop trials, 2018 & 2019 in Dept of Ag trials).

I have attached a Data Sheet on Harenda in case anyone comes across it and is looking for information.

Attachments

• HARENDA Spring Wheat - Variety Info.pdf
    993.5 KB · Views: 59
As spring wheat seed is extremely short in supply this year, Goldcrop are importing a quantity of Harenda spring wheat from Poland to make up the shortfall.

Harenda has been in Irish trials for 3 years (2017 in Goldcrop trials, 2018 & 2019 in Dept of Ag trials).

I have attached a Data Sheet on Harenda in case anyone comes across it and is looking for information.
What is the purity of Polish seed like re grass weed seeds? Variety looks promising, weak enough on straw which seems a theme with current varieties!

What kind of quantities roughly Cork? Will it add 5% more seed?

Yep, that's what I was getting at alright Cork,big commitment from your side!

Yep, that’s the joys of the job.

We have only ordered according to commitment from the trade.
We have never accepted returns of imported seed but from the start of this year, we won’t accept returns of Irish seed either.
It was being abused to the point that we couldn’t handle it any longer.

My father got a grant for building a roadway to the left of the tractor, he called it Sunset Boulevard . One summer Using a Mule Dozer on a major he built a roadway through a woods and they were eaten with Horsefly,s so he called it the Burma Road.
I like it

Do you just Harrow it out, No spray?
Direct drill then is it, Or plough it.
It was sprayed yesterday and got 3000 gallons of cattle slurry in January . I just give it one run of the Horsch Terranno and It will be sowed with the Kockerling or a Horsch ST or maybe a Vaderstad . There was winter wheat in it last year and the straw was baled and the cover crop sown .

Back