Arduino v PLC v Raspberry PI

aidank

I have a little project Im going taking on soon.

I will have 2 level sensors, 5X 24V solenoids valves and a flowmeter to turn on off based on a mix of time and the quantity through flowmeter and level sensors.

The wiring and relays etc Im competent on, however the programming I have no experience with.

I used to do Matlab years ago solving v complex differential equations, however I have no experience of Arduino or Raspberry Pi or PLC. I did PLCs some PLC programming a long time ago now that I recall, before either Arduino or Raspberry pi were invented.

Anyone able to advise should I purchase full PLC or can Arduino or Raspberry Pi be programmed to control my system.

I have a little project Im going taking on soon.

I will have 2 level sensors, 5X 24V solenoids valves and a flowmeter to turn on off based on a mix of time and the quantity through flowmeter and level sensors.

The wiring and relays etc Im competent on, however the programming I have no experience with.

I used to do Matlab years ago solving v complex differential equations, however I have no experience of Arduino or Raspberry Pi or PLC. I did PLCs some PLC programming a long time ago now that I recall, before either Arduino or Raspberry pi were invented.

Anyone able to advise should I purchase full PLC or can Arduino or Raspberry Pi be programmed to control my system.
I’ve no experience whatsoever using a Raspberry Pi but I have using Arduino and PLCs. I’d be trying to stay away from a PLC if you could at all, just due to the sheer cost alone, as it seems you’ll need 1 analogue input, 2 digital inputs and 5 digital outputs. Most PLCs will have to have software bought for programming too.
The problem with using an Arduino is you’re back to 5v inputs and outputs so would require interfacing if all your hardware is 24v. If you’ve nothing bought yet, lots of sensors etc can be got to suit the Arduino, even some of them plug and play. From a programming point of view, Arduino IDE was free when we were using it a couple of years ago but all programming would be text based.
I can’t comment about a Raspberry Pi as I know nothing about them.
Just something to bear in mind when you do decide what route to go.

I’d go Arduino for your requirement. Simpler to learn and program. Pi much more powerful but more complex.

Join github and get an arduino,loads of videos and info on YouTube.

I want to make a parlour autowasher with one but I’ve enough on doing every day stuff at the minute.

If you want to try and program it up in plc ladder the Schneider electric (formerly Telemecanique) Zeliosoft software is available to download for free
https://www.se.com/ie/en/product-range-download/542-zelio-soft/

It allows you to write the program and simulate it on screen without needing to buy the plc or any cables.

The Zelio plc used to be available in a starter kit for around €200.
It has a little LCD screen that can provide info on the program status.

I ve no experience with Pi or Arduino

Myself and the young lad went recently to a Coder Dojo and used the Arduino there.

Simple enough to use and there's a world of sensors,relays all sorts of things that are compatible.

I used be handy enough writing BASIC programs and found the Arduino quite similar.

I have also discovered several projects that "need" to be done with Arduino that I hope to tackle when funds allow.

5V relays to help get around higher voltages.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEGOO-Opt...vlocphy=20487&hvtargid=pla-562517395562&psc=1

Myself and the young lad went recently to a Coder Dojo and used the Arduino there.

Simple enough to use and there's a world of sensors,relays all sorts of things that are compatible.

I used be handy enough writing BASIC programs and found the Arduino quite similar.

I have also discovered several projects that "need" to be done with Arduino that I hope to tackle when funds allow.

5V relays to help get around higher voltages.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEGOO-Opt...vlocphy=20487&hvtargid=pla-562517395562&psc=1

What projects did you come up with, Im v interested to know, I like the autowash idea that scoffcruddle proposed

If you want to try and program it up in plc ladder the Schneider electric (formerly Telemecanique) Zeliosoft software is available to download for free
https://www.se.com/ie/en/product-range-download/542-zelio-soft/

It allows you to write the program and simulate it on screen without needing to buy the plc or any cables.

The Zelio plc used to be available in a starter kit for around €200.
It has a little LCD screen that can provide info on the program status.

I ve no experience with Pi or Arduino

I remember the simulator environment from 2002 I think it was when I was programming PLCs in university, it was v useful, you could see how the program you had downloaded would respond. Do Raspberry PIs or Arduino have anything like that I wonder, must do some googling.

What projects did you come up with, Im v interested to know, I like the autowash idea that scoffcruddle proposed

At home I have 2 separate heat sources, heat pump,solid fuel range and under-floor heating,some radiators and hot water and I want to integrate all the systems and prioritise where the excess heat from the range goes.

I'm sure it could be done with basic thermostats and valves but where's the fun in that? :weld:

Or how about my Hydrashift David Brown being converted to a push-button powershift?
2 buttons, position sensor, actuator ,dash indicator and Arduino?:drunk:

You can download Arduino and the boards are not expensive if you want to have a play with it.

That is only to help me to diagnose and repair electronics modules on those combines.
I can interface to optical network and retrieve information on laptop or i can get trough i2c communication to test card, using stm32 with small LCD with touch screen.
Anything is very prototype due to no time as the harvest time is still going on.
I try to co back to it in december

Realise the OP was in March, but I didn't see it until now. In case it helps, I have played with Arduino and Raspberry pi a little and yes they can be programmed eventually to do what you want. However, I would recommend a plc if you were doing a serious project. As mentioned above the Zelio is a cool unit, with free software but you have to buy the cable and Schneider have not updated the Zelio for years. I would recommend a Siemens Logo 8 for your project comes with ethernet port so you can monitor/program your project from anywhere. Bear in mind, when you start adding pulses from flow meters and analog signals from level sensors, then even small projects get a little complicated. :smile:

Last edited:
Back