Spring Wheat

It was sprayed yesterday and got 3000 gallons of cattle slurry in January . I just give it one run of the Horsch Terranno and It will be sowed with the Kockerling or a Horsch ST or maybe a Vaderstad . There was winter wheat in it last year and the straw was baled and the cover crop sown .
Good cover crop there for the worms. Do you find that a better way than burning off in January and having a bare field when sowing?

Good cover crop there for the worms. Do you find that a better way than burning off in January and having a bare field when sowing?
. The first dry day in January once it was legal the slurry tankers were in so it kinda ruled out spraying . The cover crop greened up when it got the slurry . Last year the sprayer was in first .

I like the way it leaves the ground especially if it is wet . I think the Valderdtad and Horsch are better drills but pack our ground too much . You could not block it Unless there was a 4X4 bale with a ring feeder around it . That drill has over 20K acres sown.

Brought the Spring Wheat up to 110 units with Sul Can. It got 3000 gallons of Feedlot cattle slurry and had a cover crop or was strip grazed .Usually go to 120 units and bring it up near 140 later in the season.
Would you put any value of N on the cover crop even tho it was grazed or strip grazed?

Would you put any value of N on the cover crop even tho it was grazed or strip grazed?
The cover crop greened up when it got the slurry so I think it took in Nitrogen. Last year In Spring Barley I reduced the N by 10 units after 2000 gallons of slurry and there was some lodging . The rape was grazed not the cover crop.
The Nitrogen from a cover crop would be small but the conditioning of the soil would facilitate the crop growing strongly.

Lines showing in the wheat where the cattle grazed. I may venture up here and do a dig . It follows the legs of the cultivator . Maybe I should not have cultivated. The nightmare is I should have ppploughed.
D4E653C3-2E0C-4AE7-935F-303AAF7A6D90.jpeg

Back