John Deere

@nakl thanks for that but, I had already been onto main dealer and got all new parts. It’s good to know those guys are there though, near enough to me. Old alternator may have been fine for another while but for how long? I think it’s original which is 14 years old.
Only question is the belt tensioner, is it spring or hydraulic? It felt lazy to return and build up tension on the belt, felt like it’s pressurised by oil to me. Certainly did not feel like a spring, let me know if I need to investigate further. Thanks.

The " Mr Fixit ," for 40 and 50 series John Deeres for many year's here in the Midlands, passed away yesterday after a long illness.
A very keen vintage man , he was well known and a great man for a chat.
He started his affair with John Deere when Sherrards had a depot in Mountrath from 1979 to 82 , approx.
This tractor was bought there by a long deceased farmer a couple of miles from Mountrath. Andy bought it in latter years and restored it . It wax featured in IrishVintageScene magazine last year. I took this photo at Ballyroan vintage rally last May , which was the last time I was speaking to him.
May his gentle soul rest in peace.
20190519_152746.jpg

Last edited:
The " Mr Fixit ," for 40 and 50 series John Deeres for many year's here in the Midlands, passed away yesterday after a long illness.
He started his affair with John Deere when Sherrards had a depot in Mountrath from 1979 to 82 , approx.
This tractor was bought there by a long deceased farmer a couple of miles from Mountrath. Andy bought it in latter years and restored it . It wax featured in IrishVintageScene magazine last year. I took this photo at Ballyroan vintage rally last May , which was the last time I was speaking to him.
View attachment 76670
Oh wow,im so saddened to hear that,would of dealt alot with him when we had the 50 series,he was a gentleman,
Rest in peace andy.

XCI 383
The man who bought that tractor in sherrards is actually ploughing this morning. Has since moved up to a 6920s.

RIP Andy.

XCI 383
The man who bought that tractor in sherrards is actually ploughing this morning. Has since moved up to a 6920s.

RIP Andy.

Andy bought it from the family , who have planted a lot of the farm , very near the bridge over the M7-M8 motorway . The father is dead this 20-25 years.

View attachment 76670

Oh wow,im so saddened to hear that,would of dealt alot with him when we had the 50 series,he was a gentleman,
Rest in peace andy.

Gentleman is the word that come up time and time again on his condolences page on RIP.

XCI 383

RIP Andy.

The strange thing with that tractor , is that its a Horseshoe bonnet, pre 1976 but XCI was a 1979-1980 reg. And it has an OPU cab, not the earlier Duncan cab , same as an MF 188 . The tractor is 3 or 4 years older than the reg no . For many years imports Were registered the year they were imported , not manufactured.

The 1st John Deere tractor i ever drove , was the exact same tractor as that one , and it was square baling straw with a Class baler less than 2 miles from Andy O Connors yard in September 1982.

Andy bought it from the family , who have planted a lot of the farm , very near the bridge over the M7-M8 motorway . The father is dead this 20-25 years.

I may have events muddled up. As in who owned it first/last .

Andy worked in Sherrards when the tractor was sold .
That family I mentioned owned the tractor for some time .
Andy had dealings with the tractor over many years so when he got the chance he bought it .

How many families owned the tractor ,do you know ? @13spanner ?

Jimmy Butler , of TempletuohyFarmMachiney fame , would have started there in Sherrards with Andy .

Has it been retro fitted with the opu at a later date?

Well the 3130 that I drove 38 years ago had the horseshoe bonnet and an OPU cab as well . Hardly the same tractor? 6 or 7 miles apart at most. Hence why I asked 13spanner did he know how many owners it had.

Well the 3130 that I drove 38 years ago had the horseshoe bonnet and an OPU cab as well . Hardly the same tractor? 6 or 7 miles apart at most. Hence why I asked 13spanner did he know how many owners it had.
Well as you posted all the ones I’ve seen with the horseshoe bonnet either had a Duncan or no cab.

Tractor is a bit of a hybrid.

Tractor in pic was sold to the family new and stayed there until Andy bought it. XCI 383 was also sold new 6 weeks previous in 1979 to a farmer 2 miles out the road, who I referred to as ploughing this morning. Andy also knew tractor well.
Andy bought the tractor in pic but tax book and plate were missing. So Andy also bought XCI 383 which had tax book and put front axle and frame under tractor. Hence the number plate.

Both were 3130.

Last edited:
Tractor is a bit of a hybrid.

Tractor in pic was sold to the family new and stayed there until Andy bought it. XCI 383 was also sold new 6 weeks previous in 1979 to a farmer 2 miles out the road, who I referred to as ploughing this morning. Andy also knew tractor well.
Andy bought the tractor in pic but tax book and plate were missing. So Andy also bought XCI 383 which had tax book and put front axle and frame under tractor. Hence the number plate.

Both were 3130.

Do you mean that that tractor in my photo , and the tractor whose registration no it now carries , were bought new 6 weeks apart ?

A farmer who used to live 2 miles away from here had an SCI and TCI 2030 and 2130 . He bought 1 of them new from Sherrards , and the other SH a year later . Both modern bonnets , and OPU cab .

SCI and TCI would have been Laois reg nos from 77 and 78 .

He also bought a new John Deere combine from them . I wouldnt be well up on combines but would a 952 be late 70s , and either 8 ft or 10 ft cut ? Would @Blackwater boy know ?

Last edited:
Do you mean that that tractor in my photo , and the tractor whose registration no it now carries , were bought new 6 weeks apart ?

A farmer who used to live 2 miles away from here had an SCI and TCI 2030 and 2130 . He bought 1 of them new from Sherrards , and the other SH a year later . Both modern bonnets , and OPU cab .

He also bought a new John Deere combine from them . I wouldnt be well up on combines but would a 952 be late 70s , and either 8 ft or 10 ft cut ? Would @Blackwater boy know ?
Not well up on the JD combines, maybe some of the other lads might know

View attachment 76670
A real gentleman and would have worked on tractors for us over the years. Unfortunately he had been poorly for a while now but was always in great spirits, I was sowing oats last backend for his nephew and he was out with me, I had the 6175r with autosteer and he was very impressed by the whole lot, I dont think he had been in an r series before that, when I was finishing up he was giving out he should have been out 30 mins earlier !!! RIP

He usually displayed that Claas Super Junior with the 3 cylinder John Deere . Was it an 1120 ?
There was the remains of a 1963 Super Junior here , that my uncle bought new from the late John Perry in Athy . I offered any gears , shafts etc to our ready mix man , who has either 2 or 3 similar combines . He never came , so I offered them to Andy . He came here one day to look at it , said he would return another day with gas , but shortly afterwards his health.took a turn for the worst.

2 men came from Co Meath and took them about 2 years ago .

yeah I used to think vintage was for mad men, but the older I get, the more appreciation I have for them. Have a 2130 here bought new in sherrards in 77. Would be a nice project.

yeah I used to think vintage was for mad men, but the older I get, the more appreciation I have for them. Have a 2130 here bought new in sherrards in 77. Would be a nice project.

I use vintage stuff everyday..:lol:

I didn't realise that Sherrards sold as many tractors from the Mountrath branch.

A neighbour is after recently landing a John Deere 2030/2130 , original Laois reg , Duncan cab . I might try get a picture of it soon .
Any pics of yours?

Nearly bought a 3130 OPU from Sherrards in Fethard early 80's but bought an IH 955 from Munster Machinery instead, Sherrards supplied a McConnel hedgecutter and the rest as they say is history.

Combine was more than likely a 955 I would think, similar to @KTM Farmer one.

I use vintage stuff everyday..:lol:

I didn't realise that Sherrards sold as many tractors from the Mountrath branch.

A neighbour is after recently landing a John Deere 2030/2130 , original Laois reg , Duncan cab . I might try get a picture of it soon .
Any pics of yours?

She was parked up 15yrs ago. Had a hard life. Not in great shape now.
2040 we have was bought new of butler. Still goin

There was also a 952 model JD combine , just slightly lower spec than a 955.
Similarly in the 10 series there was the 1075 and a lower spec option the 1072.
The same dimensions with less power and smaller grain tank AFAIK

Back