Silage 2020

Grand day for a wilt...
:rolleyes2::scratchhead:View attachment 78112
Lots of silage down your way and further south, I passed through your neighbourhood and further south today and there were hundreds of acres awaiting the harvester around Wellingtonbridge. Well off country down there I must say, more cows there than crows up here. :cowboy:

Lots of silage down your way and further south, I passed through your neighbourhood and further south today and there were hundreds of acres awaiting the harvester around Wellingtonbridge. Well off country down there I must say, more cows there than crows up here. :cowboy:
Lots of competition to pick up all that silage down there too

Local contractors are busy alright. You are spending a lot of time down this way lately :scared:

Cows are multiplying down there.

Local contractors are busy alright. You are spending a lot of time down this way lately :scared:

Cows are multiplying down there.
And the red boxes on wheels have just got fewer! Was dry but overcast in your area, raining in Wellingtonbridge, sunny in Waterford and damp in Kilkenny...too windy here to spray. Such a mix of weather...

upload_2020-5-18_20-49-39.png

Spotted this poor yoke this evening parked up in Mitchelstown.

The guards and others in positions of power aren't blind to the bollixing going on with machinery. It's just past the middle of May and already FB and SC are full of overturned silage trailers. It'll be artic licences and full on HGV testing of all agri vehicles in another bit and more then likely a reduction in the speed tractors are currently allowed do to curb the accidents. I hope it never happens but the day some little mad Max type rolls a trailer onto a car of people it's going to be game over.

Can't agree more there diesel power, some outfits need to get a lot more busy on who and how they let drive some of their Rigs, the days of a 2 wheel weeks silage trailer 40-50hp tractor combo are long gone (certainly around these parts, ) it's all 150 and upwards and the biggest trailer you can hook up,, ther are a lot of "professional " drivers out there,,, but unfortunately there are some who shouldn't be out with a wheelbarrow,, on the phone, rolling fags, 2 abreast on the dual Carrige way,,,
VOSA and traffic round here are starting to take a massive interest in how farmers and contractors are cutting about,, and I fortunatly it is gonna end badly with someone being killed , don't wanna be a doom monger but the licence change is coming, even if it's a limited ag HGV its gonna happen,,

The guards and others in positions of power aren't blind to the bollixing going on with machinery. It's just past the middle of May and already FB and SC are full of overturned silage trailers. It'll be artic licences and full on HGV testing of all agri vehicles in another bit and more then likely a reduction in the speed tractors are currently allowed do to curb the accidents. I hope it never happens but the day some little mad Max type rolls a trailer onto a car of people it's going to be game over.

You've said a mouthful of truth there and whether it's lumped or liked it's the farmers/contractors own fault when things go that way.
The lads carting silage have it instilled in them that the harvester has to be kept going and that's why they race around the place, the experienced lads are as bad as the inexperienced ones only they have been at it a few years and might be a bit more wary.
A few years ago I was drawing for a few hours one Saturday and there was a young lad on the job who was out over the white line a few times I met him on bends,( Kilree Bridge in Bagenalstown, Bagenalstown Graveyard and along by Jenkinson's, any local lads would know those places are dicey enough) no let up of the right foot when meeting other traffic. I 'm not going to pretend to be all saintly, I keep the boot in when the road is decent enough. It was often the case that after a few loads the lad after me would be back to the field as soon as me.

BTW @Danielk was it you that flashed the lights today between the Royal Oak and Leighlin?

There are probably more young lads with little experience on the roads this year with secondary schools and colleges closed, on the W licence (the one that lets a16 yr old drive a tractor on the road) I thought he was limited in what he could drive until he did a W test and even if he passed the test had to show N plates for 2 years, great escape route for an insurance company in the event of a fatal accident a contractor using an untested 16 yr old could loose everything.

heard the same ,a ram failed on a local smith super cube last maize harvest whilst tipping when she came down the 2nd bounce burst the 2 back wheels and all the windows of the tractor ,driver was in hospital for a few days

Seen a ram pull out on a broughan back in 2008. Was some bang as the trailer still had 12ton of sludge in it. The driver was a hefty lad and was sent flying and landed back into the seat and broke it

Lots of competition to pick up all that silage down there too
If a fella had a few hundred acres of silage to cut next week you’d get a really good deal, the acres picked up in the last 10 days are phenomenal, brother was talking to a large contractor west of here that picked up over 200 acres a day for the last 4 days in a row.

There are probably more young lads with little experience on the roads this year with secondary schools and colleges closed, on the W licence (the one that lets a16 yr old drive a tractor on the road) I thought he was limited in what he could drive until he did a W test and even if he passed the test had to show N plates for 2 years, great escape route for an insurance company in the event of a fatal accident a contractor using an untested 16 yr old could loose everything.

That W licence at 16 is a joke and has been for many years, not trying to tell a priest his prayers and as has been said in previous posts, the tractors, trailers and loads are gone miles beyond what the W licence was intended for. Sure even 30 years ago there were lads with only a W licence drawing beet to Carlow with dodgy enough trailers loaded to the hilt, the only saving grace the tractors weren't 40 or 50 kms.

You've said a mouthful of truth there and whether it's lumped or liked it's the farmers/contractors own fault when things go that way.
The lads carting silage have it instilled in them that the harvester has to be kept going and that's why they race around the place, the experienced lads are as bad as the inexperienced ones only they have been at it a few years and might be a bit more wary.
A few years ago I was drawing for a few hours one Saturday and there was a young lad on the job who was out over the white line a few times I met him on bends,( Kilree Bridge in Bagenalstown, Bagenalstown Graveyard and along by Jenkinson's, any local lads would know those places are dicey enough) no let up of the right foot when meeting other traffic. I 'm not going to pretend to be all saintly, I keep the boot in when the road is decent enough. It was often the case that after a few loads the lad after me would be back to the field as soon as me.

BTW @Danielk was it you that flashed the lights today between the Royal Oak and Leighlin?

Yea that was me. Heading up bilboa direction to do a few wraps.
3 lovely spots you mention there around. The worst part is the bends at Jenkinson’s. Hate going that bit with the mowers. You always meet people flying.
The youngest lad in our group of drivers is 21 and he is the bosses son. Other than that the next youngest is 26 and upwards from that.

heard the same ,a ram failed on a local smith super cube last maize harvest whilst tipping when she came down the 2nd bounce burst the 2 back wheels and all the windows of the tractor ,driver was in hospital for a few days
You'd have to wonder are they pushing the design of what started off as a single ram 10X6 past its safe limits, there's only so much oil reserve in the back of a 200hp tractor to push up a ram yet they are getting 26ft 3 axle extra deep trailers to tip, are they being engineered with the bare essentials of ram capacity as only so much oil is available so the rams are able to tip the load but structurally not well enough above the job, we are only on dry grass ATM and weight is down compared to what it would be if it was a difficult year weatherwise, Some trailers don't even have grease points on the ram pivots or don't get greased regularly with the obvious wear on pins. Get a driver that will chuck a load that isn't freely leaving the trailer after a bit of road travel and its a recipe for breaking a ram.

tony o mahony wasnt it?

and on the w license. theres no practical test to get it. you do the theory test for the car learners permit and pay an extra tenner to get the W category check marked. it gets worse from there as there's no limit on size of machine you can drive and how fast. also only thing you cant drive is a trailer over 32ft i think (correct me if im wrong). so theoretically speaking a 16 year old that just got the learners permit with the w category check marked can hop into a 300+hp fastrac that can go 85km/h and have a 32ft bale trailer behind him with the load being 3 bales high. they can also if they wanted hop into a combine. from what i remember, a few year back the government did try and change the license system somewhat but failed as some farmers but mainly contractors started breathing down their necks and not do it because labour shortage at the time

If a fella had a few hundred acres of silage to cut next week you’d get a really good deal, the acres picked up in the last 10 days are phenomenal, brother was talking to a large contractor west of here that picked up over 200 acres a day for the last 4 days in a row.
Is it the weather that has everyone cutting earlier this year or what? My own contractor started with us Saturday 9 days ago and harvester has been out all but 2 days since. He's never picked so much this early. We still have half of ours to pit some day soon

Is it the weather that has everyone cutting earlier this year or what? My own contractor started with us Saturday 9 days ago and harvester has been out all but 2 days since. He's never picked so much this early. We still have half of ours to pit some day soon
the weather is one and that labour is plentiful as schools and colleges are out earlier this year due to the kung-flu. a good amount of contractors wait until the colleges have finished before going full steam ahead but they didnt have to do that this year

the weather is one and that labour is plentiful as schools and colleges are out earlier this year due to the kung-flu. a good amount of contractors wait until the colleges have finished before going full steam ahead but they didnt have to do that this year
I'd have to disagree with your assertion, if contractors left the bulk of silage 'till schools and colleges closed there would be eff all cut 'till mid june at the soonest.

I am pretty sure if a farmer rang a contractor to cut his silage he wouldn’t be to happy if he was told he would have to wait two weeks as they have to wait till college is over. A contractor does the work when the work is there to do

I'd have to disagree with your assertion, if contractors left the bulk of silage 'till schools and colleges closed there would be eff all cut 'till mid june at the soonest.
the reason that i assumed that is that colleges usually end at around the 20th may give or take a few days and usually the last week of may 1st week of june is when its typically the busiest hence my assumption
I am pretty sure if a farmer rang a contractor to cut his silage he wouldn’t be to happy if he was told he would have to wait two weeks as they have to wait till college is over. A contractor does the work when the work is there to do
im not that bright sometimes. didnt think that far

And the red boxes on wheels have just got fewer! Was dry but overcast in your area, raining in Wellingtonbridge, sunny in Waterford and damp in Kilkenny...too windy here to spray. Such a mix of weather...

Those red boxes on wheels are not one bit safe from you.....

Fear of 2012 that it will start raining and won't stop, fear of 2018 that drought will kick in big time, grass growth slowing off big time so time to get it done, all the neighbours are at it :rolleyes2: or for some It's their usual time anyways.

Back