Information and Experiences of a Harvest Abroad

i wouldnt mind heading out to nz for a season. its kind of similar to here but as 7715 said, seen a few vids of them doing other crops u wouldnt think u wud be part of the harvest of. although parents are pushing for me to head out to canada as my uncle is out there but i'm more inclined to go to nz as the silage season here wont interfere with silage season out there

Don't go combining.
I say this all the time.
Go for sugar cane, cotton or bananas.

There's a chance to drive things you'll never drive at home. In crops you'll never see grown at home. And they're desprate for good drivers.

Told my nephew not to bother with NZ as he’s milked enough cows over here,he wasn’t long there and ended up sowing wheat in Aus with a massive drill and tracked tractor.

Reactions: AYF
Told my nephew not to bother with NZ as he’s milked enough cows over here,he wasn’t long there and ended up sowing wheat in Aus with a massive drill and tracked tractor.
If you wanna learn how to milk then go there by all means. But milk cows is what you'll do! Can milk cows at home without an air fare!
The countryside in Nz is much the same as home, bit more extream but it's grass....
Oz on the other hand is unlike anywhare over here. Needs to be seen to be believed!

Don't go combining.
I say this all the time.
Go for sugar cane, cotton or bananas.

There's a chance to drive things you'll never drive at home. In crops you'll never see grown at home. And they're desprate for good drivers.
Grape viners pay well and a nicer climate than the temperatures in North Queensland, I did the grain harvest in QLD/NSW if I were to do it again I’d do it over in WA, I gave 3 seasons at silage over there after I finished the grain, some lads who want to do the grain might never get the chance to drive a combine here so can’t you can see why they have the desire

Reactions: AYF
I did around 4 months, worked for a farmer not a contractor, the farmer had his own chaser which I drove and hired a contractor who had 2 combines and a few road trains. Wud def recommend it money is good but u wud want to be able to drive and not afraid of work. 100hrs+ a week no overtime just hourly rate. I left and got a job in Sydney on a site better money less hours and a social life which u won't get on a farm 100k from the nearest town. But scale is ridiculous the farm next us had 17 combines and 50 road trains drawing.

Think 3 months is the usual when I was there then move on, I was ment to do 6 months, I was young the craic was in Sydney i was on a farm 100k from the nearest town 12 hours on a train from Sydney or Brisbane no phone no internet so I left after 4 months. But really enjoyed it. And wud def do it again. I wud recommend everyone who can drive a tractor do it. But take the time to get the right job.

I have them every night anyroad.:lol:

All the Aussie birds I’ve seen are big grippers.:laugh:
I’ve never been (nor intend to travel) to Australia, my research is limited to many years of Neighbours & Home & Away and I always thought the Ozzy women looked nice.

It could be argued that I wasn’t seeing a true picture of the country so maybe they’re better looking in reality.

I’ve never been (nor intend to travel) to Australia, my research is limited to many years of Neighbours & Home & Away and I always thought the Ozzy women looked nice.

It could be argued that I wasn’t seeing a true picture of the country so maybe they’re better looking in reality.

Well Cork I did end up going in the finish and yeah.... they were worth the trip alone!
You may apply for a Nuffield- for the cover story like :wink:

Well Cork I did end up going in the finish and yeah.... they were worth the trip alone!
You may apply for a Nuffield- for the cover story like :wink:
Would you believe, I did an interview for Nuffield a few years ago. I wasn’t successful at the time.
Pretty sure my topic of GM crops didn’t catch the interest of the dairy oriented interviewers......but let’s not dwell on it.....

Had a great time over there Podge. Did the harvest and a bit of touring around after. Well worth doing alright :Thumbp2:

Beeswax farming in the England are looking for harvest staff for the coming season. He has built up some operation. 30000 acres.

Beeswax farming in the England are looking for harvest staff for the coming season. He has built up some operation. 30000 acres.

Mr Dyson I believe, I think he bought some of the co-op farming estate.

If you are looking for summer work try going on the velcourt website under careers they are also looking for summer staff,grain drying, hauling combining cultivating etc accross a variety of UK locations. Most have accomodation

And Bedfordia farms in funny enough Bedfordshire are looking for staff

Back