Hay 2020

mixed fleet

Another season of making inferior fodder :no::no: well sure they can lie on it. :yes::yes:
This stuff was cut in May and baled in June.
20200530_151400.jpg
20200530_151402.jpg
IMG-20200601-WA0000.jpg

I cut first crop hay last Monday, got turned every day and baled it yesterday at 16%. Baled for other lads old meadow hay that only got a few turns and it baked up at 11%. Crops yielded from 6 to 9 bales to the acre.

Neighbour baled hay 16th May, took it off the field last Saturday, it was down over a week before baling.

I cut first crop hay last Monday, got turned every day and baled it yesterday at 16%. Baled for other lads old meadow hay that only got a few turns and it baked up at 11%. Crops yielded from 6 to 9 bales to the acre.
Would 16% be ok? 16% straw would be borderline wouldn’t it?

Would 16% be ok? 16% straw would be borderline wouldn’t it?
17% and less would be OK, I baled one as a test at 11am and it was 20%, by 5pm it was down to 16%. At 11% you could almost put it in the shed immediately though I wouldn't recommend it. I'll be leaving mine out for a while as first crop early hay tends to sweat a bit even at low moistures.

They are not idiot bricks when you shift a couple of horse box loads every Saturday for decent money, they do better for me than the round haylage.

Hay in the Emerald Isle is not for the faint hearted. Despite being a good year so far in north Longford, chances to make have been scarce.
Got a bit yesterday, most of it was mowed last Thursday. Got a good wetting on Friday but it hadn't been shook out.
Tedded Saturday evening, twice Sunday, once Monday and Tuesday. Rowed up and baled yesterday evening in great condition.
20200721_164110.jpg

Vintage Baling
20200721_163904.jpg
20200721_164553.jpg

Hay in the Emerald Isle is not for the faint hearted. Despite being a good year so far in north Longford, chances to make have been scarce.
Got a bit yesterday, most of it was mowed last Thursday. Got a good wetting on Friday but it hadn't been shook out.
Tedded Saturday evening, twice Sunday, once Monday and Tuesday. Rowed up and baled yesterday evening in great condition.
View attachment 80682
Vintage Baling
View attachment 80683 View attachment 80684

Neighbor square baled his yesterday. It had been down since last saturday week (10 days). It's rare to see him get caught out with the weather, but this stuff has a very dark colour. He'll have no bother with cows calving that are fed on it - calves won't be too big.

View attachment 80682
Vintage Baling
View attachment 80683 View attachment 80684

Have you moved officially to supervisory mode now :laugh:

Looks a Lovely crop to be fair:Thumbp2:

Lads is there any market for hay this year . Bales hay for a lad fortnight ago and he has only got 1 phonecall. Easy man to deal with well fit to bale . Old grass alright . Going to wrap it now as doesn’t have a shed for it .

Back