August hay

Well there was 2 bales done which have been wrapped so at least I will know what it would have turned out like had we suceeded in baling it.

Would it be rude of me to say I know what baler would bale it :whistle:
4600 baler.jpg

Am feeding August hay to the wife's horse,, he seems to find nice enough mind he's a Welsh cob and will eat owt

Sorry dragging up an old thread here but

has anyone cut silage in say early to mid May and then cut HAY later in the summer? Would you be talking 8 weeks after the silage as enough time for the hay? So mid July?

has anyone cut silage in say early to mid May and then cut HAY later in the summer? Would you be talking 8 weeks after the silage as enough time for the hay? So mid July?
Yes but you'd want ideal weather for that to work, rain after the fert and a bit for the 6 growing weeks after. It'd be short though I'd say.

Often done 2nd cut hay
Generally softer grass and softer bales

Very very hard to do in a normal Irish summer whatever that is anymore. Have you much nitrogen on it? The More N in it the harder it is

Well sure it's like this, if you get the weather it could be cut after 8 weeks. I'd have the wrapper on call though as you could get caught bit that wont be the end of the world. Any fodder will be wanted this year I think

yeah I think anything edible will be worth money this year

We made second cut hay in late August/early September one year. I think it was 2010, which iirc was A particularly bad year for growth. It was great stuff but only yielded about 3 bales to the acre.

Back