Grass Direct Drilling Advice Where did I go wrong ?

Have a field I would like to reseed in the next month or so. I skipped it in this round of grazing as the grass had gone stemmy partly due to the dry conditions but also because it is just very old permanent pasture. Planning on taking a cut of bales off it in the next 10 days to 2 weeks, seems to be still growing a bit so the drought hasn't affected it too badly. Would usually do a full reseed with a couple of passes of a disc and then sow with one pass of a power harrow. But I am getting a bit tired of picking stones to be honest and there will be plenty of them I would guess. Unless there is a change in the weather then I am assuming it would be too dry to direct drill the grass? Has anyone here gone straight in with the power harrow after silage? How did it turn out?
Personally I'd leave the powerharrow to one side and get a fella with a horsh drill or some similar and direct drill oncenyou are happy it's level. Don't be in a panic for grass as it will take longer to establish. Mow off the field and let it green up and spray off. Or if the cover isn't to heavy you could spray off and bale up after. But you run the risk of not getting all the old grass if it's very thick. I'd lime then and direct drill and roll the arse out of it then.

Reactions: AYF
Guttler or Erth Agriseeder will be the options if I am to direct drill as that is what is available locally, would that be good enough? No rush on it establishing as long as it eventually does establish.

Guttler or Erth Agriseeder will be the options if I am to direct drill as that is what is available locally, would that be good enough? No rush on it establishing as long as it eventually does establish.
Do they cut a slot for the seed to go into? Iv never seen any of those around here. The only reason I say stay away from the powerharrow is the hardship of trying to break down the old sod. It also needs rain. It will take but it's slow. We are going back to plough here

Personally I'd leave the powerharrow to one side and get a fella with a horsh drill or some similar and direct drill oncenyou are happy it's level. Don't be in a panic for grass as it will take longer to establish. Mow off the field and let it green up and spray off. Or if the cover isn't to heavy you could spray off and bale up after. But you run the risk of not getting all the old grass if it's very thick. I'd lime then and direct drill and roll the arse out of it then.

Do they cut a slot for the seed to go into? Iv never seen any of those around here. The only reason I say stay away from the powerharrow is the hardship of trying to break down the old sod. It also needs rain. It will take but it's slow. We are going back to plough here

those drills are disc drills

couldnt agree more about the power harrow
things should be banned

I am going reseeding a field here I will burn it of well and then was thinking of coming in with the 1 pass to set it (no ploughing) as it's a bit of a tricky field and I find it very hard to level fields after ploughing as well as all the stone picking ...

I am going reseeding a field here I will burn it of well and then was thinking of coming in with the 1 pass to set it (no ploughing) as it's a bit of a tricky field and I find it very hard to level fields after ploughing as well as all the stone picking ...
Can you direct stitch? Hard to manage the old sods with the powerharrowing

I agree with Fiat. Direct drill

Either way. Lime to stop the burnt sod killing the seedlings

1pass is a horror on grass :tdown:

We have done the 1 pass on ground before and it worked out ok it can be a bit soft for a while after I suppose. But it saves alot of work !

Doing our own trial here
20200624_125257.jpg
20190820_123846.jpg
20200624_125257.jpg
20190820_123846.jpg
20190820_123838.jpg

Does anyone here know of anyone who does direct drilling of grassland in the South Wicklow, North Wexford area? Thanks in advance

Hi @Coral Plant just interested reading this what was the problem in the end, was it the chemicals. How did you get on with your erth seeder after this year? I would still imagine a discing would be more effective would it. Was tempted to try get some done but afraid after reading your post

Reminds me of a line in a macc lads song.. "I had to do some drilling..she wasn't very willing" taken from the song apprentice dentist

Back