Electric fence

tm120

Putting in a mains fencer and just wondering how far out from the ditch to put the electric wire so hedge cutter can get behind to cut ditch

Best part of 3ft, also drive the stakes down so the wire is near the top of them, nothing worse than a stake sticking up a foot or more above the wire, if you keep the wire up around the 3ft mark the cattle will eat in under it so less chance of stuff dragging it down and earthing it.

Got some queeries on electric fencing, planing on doing some paddock grazing with the sheepies in the near future.
To train them I am thinking of using electric tape, to make it easier to see.

Does tape need more juice than a normal wire? Wouldn't be long runs, maybe 100-150m at most, probably a single strand fairly low down.

Any advice for me in general?

Got some queeries on electric fencing, planing on doing some paddock grazing with the sheepies in the near future.

Does tape need more juice than a normal wire? Wouldn't be long runs, maybe 100-150m at most, probably a single strand fairly low down.

you will have no bother stopping them with a single strand once they are well trained to it we use pollywire all the time on land which is rented for short term/for strip grazing fodder crops, keep it about 18 inches off the ground you want a far whack off it at the start but you will get away with less when they get use to it, to train them we usually set up about 100 meters in a straight line of it down the middle of a field and have it on a mains fencer which is serving nothing else about a week or two before we intend to use it as a boundary for them elsewhere

Reactions: AYF

AYF,
your better of using the White or orange plastic, the metal wire will give the best shock but as you know when it starts to fray it's a bugger,
Personally I would use at least 2 strands of wire,, if you use one it will either Beto high or too low IYKWIM,
Do you have a rappa fencing tool for the quad ?? That's the kiddie,,
The white tape is pants,,, it's good for about a month then the wires start to fray and it's then there's no circuit,, the sheep soon know,
It's all right for fooling some dozy old Frisian milkers BUT sheep and beef cattle can smell a fence that's not working,,,,

AYF,
your better of using the White or orange plastic, the metal wire will give the best shock but as you know when it starts to fray it's a bugger,
The white tape is pants,,, it's good for about a month then the wires start to fray and it's then there's no circuit,, the sheep soon know,
It's all right for fooling some dozy old Frisian milkers BUT sheep and beef cattle can smell a fence that's not working,,,,
White tape is also a balls in the wind, it is prone to stretching then when the wind drops it sags down between posts, likely to touch the ground from sheep height.

White tape is also a balls in the wind, it is prone to stretching then when the wind drops it sags down between posts, likely to touch the ground from sheep height.

Are I reckon the bloke what invented it is sat some where rubbing his hands thinking cheers easy,,,

The best stuff is the solid steelwire,,, bit of a bugger though if you have it on a strip fence,,,, used to use it years back on the kale,,

AYF,
Personally I would use at least 2 strands of wire,, if you use one it will either Beto high or too low IYKWIM,
Do you have a rappa fencing tool for the quad ?? That's the kiddie,,

Steady on, haven't enough posts yet let alone a rappa! ha
See what you mean with the two strands, good plan!

you will have no bother stopping them with a single strand once they are well trained to it we use pollywire all the time on land which is rented for short term/for strip grazing fodder crops, keep it about 18 inches off the ground you want a far whack off it at the start but you will get away with less when they get use to it, to train them we usually set up about 100 meters in a straight line of it down the middle of a field and have it on a mains fencer which is serving nothing else about a week or two before we intend to use it as a boundary for them elsewhere

Figured there was a reason that there isn't much tape used! I know it's a bugger to have go into a mower anyway! (Damn horsey people and their idea of a 'clean' field!!)

thanks for the advice lads!

I've a PEL solar fencer. Ggood bit of kit.
Looking for a second now and wondering am I paying over the ods for a name?!?

This is what I have:
https://www.tannertrading.co.uk/electric-fence-energisers/pel-705s-0-5j-integrated-solar-energizer/

But I see things at less than half price claiming to be just as capable, and same warranty:
https://www.sure-green.com/fortis-sg200-solar-powered-energiser.html

The technology in both isnt exactly new age. And there is no reason either can't be produced for very little money.

Is it going the way of fasion and machinery, pay for the name?

Next question.
Has anyone seen pollywire a different colour to white?

Easy to mix lines up when putting 3 wires out. So a different colour in the mix would be usefull.

I've a PEL solar fencer. Ggood bit of kit.
Looking for a second now and wondering am I paying over the ods for a name?!?

This is what I have:
https://www.tannertrading.co.uk/electric-fence-energisers/pel-705s-0-5j-integrated-solar-energizer/

But I see things at less than half price claiming to be just as capable, and same warranty:
https://www.sure-green.com/fortis-sg200-solar-powered-energiser.html

The technology in both isnt exactly new age. And there is no reason either can't be produced for very little money.

Is it going the way of fasion and machinery, pay for the name?
@muckymanor I think used some of them alternative solar fences.

Next question.
Has anyone seen pollywire a different colour to white?

Easy to mix lines up when putting 3 wires out. So a different colour in the mix would be usefull.
One orange, nothing sees it, one blue and white not much better.

I was looking for leisure batteries tonight,I’ve fecked a few batteries this last year letting them run right down.

A solar would have helped,well till it clouded over and pissed down for weeks.

I was looking for leisure batteries tonight,I’ve fecked a few batteries this last year letting them run right down.

A solar would have helped,well till it clouded over and pissed down for weeks.
The solar fencer I have has a very small battery. And the panek isn't big. But kept a good shock in the fence last winter.
They don't need bright sun, just daylight.

The solar fencer I have has a very small battery. And the panek isn't big. But kept a good shock in the fence last winter.
They don't need bright sun, just daylight.

I’ve a couple of Gallagher solar powered fencers,they only have small batteries and work fine but they’re only any good for short runs.

Mains is best but now always easy.

I’ve a couple of Gallagher solar powered fencers,they only have small batteries and work fine but they’re only any good for short runs.

Mains is best but now always easy.
the one I've bought is dual power so might hook up mains in the future.
Tbh the solar we have has been plenty for the runs we do.

Half considering going down the route of splitting a few fields in half perminantly, but don't think it would work so well lambing time.

Father is talking about buying a bulk of the cheapo plastic posts and leaving them up semi permanent.

the one I've bought is dual power so might hook up mains in the future.
Tbh the solar we have has been plenty for the runs we do.

Half considering going down the route of splitting a few fields in half perminantly, but don't think it would work so well lambing time.

Father is talking about buying a bulk of the cheapo plastic posts and leaving them up semi permanent.

Clipex pasture posts are good for semi permanent .:Thumbp2:

Screenshot_20200707-092044_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200707-092040_Gallery.jpg

Where would lads put the fencer in this scenario?
Direct to the battery, both clips for the solar charger and fencer on the terminals?

Or where the diagram says 'Load'?

Back