Spring Wheat

• Spring wheat raceing ahead, it got a litre of Opera, CTL and Ce Ce Ce over two weeks ago. Just wondering would I be as well to leave it head out before going back in with another fungicide again?27D40152-43EC-49B1-86A6-D6C642D1F0E9.jpeg 0F98D1FC-AA9D-4EB7-B085-E441CCE0418F.jpeg

• Spring wheat raceing ahead, it got a litre of Opera, CTL and Ce Ce Ce over two weeks ago. Just wondering would I be as well to leave it head out before going back in with another fungicide again?View attachment 78957 View attachment 78956
Prob 2 weeks to head out and flowering. Maybe a little more as weather gone rough. Would you out maybe some generic opus or something to keep it going from a rust point of view

IMG_20200711_144902884_HDR.jpg IMG_20200711_144852794.jpg IMG_20200711_144840809_HDR.jpg Chilham looks to be way ahead of Talisker, more heads longer heads, more green leaf to fill them. Talisker has a lot of aborted grain sites at the bottom of the heads, is this stress related or is it a deficiency the difference is definitely varietal as they are side by side. First photo is chilham, 2nd and 3rd are Talisker.

Last edited:
View attachment 80310 View attachment 80311 View attachment 80312 Chilham looks to be way ahead of Talisker, more heads longer heads, more green leaf to fill them. Talisker has a lot of aborted grain sites at the bottom of the heads, is this stress related or is it a deficiency the difference is definitely varietal as they are side by side. First photo is chilham, 2nd and 3rd are Talisker.
I was in Kildare on Monday looking at trials.

For the first time in my life, I saw frost damage in spring wheat. It varied depending on the variety.
Some varieties were untouched whereas others were hammered - depending on their growth stage at the time.

This was the late frost that occurred in May (Sunday night here).
It wasn’t terribly cold (-1deg C) but enough to do harm.

I think your pic could be related. Talisker would be a bit earlier to develop than Chilham (both were ok in the trials I saw).

60494223-08BD-4281-83E6-7509ADCFE616.jpeg

I was in Kildare on Monday looking at trials.

For the first time in my life, I saw frost damage in spring wheat. It varied depending on the variety.
Some varieties were untouched whereas others were hammered - depending on their growth stage at the time.

This was the late frost that occurred in May (Sunday night here).
It wasn’t terribly cold (-1deg C) but enough to do harm.

I think your pic could be related. Talisker would be a bit earlier to develop than Chilham (both were ok in the trials I saw).

View attachment 80316
Very interesting, I have never seen frost damage either, it is only the bottom of the ears are blank, is that consistent with frost? Talisker was more advanced all year.

Very interesting, I have never seen frost damage either, it is only the bottom of the ears are blank, is that consistent with frost? Talisker was more advanced all year.
I would have thought that it would be the top of the ear that would be damaged by frost but perhaps It can be the base too.

It’s very short . I might have to put the combine in the road gear to cut it. The brother thinks it’s a great crop so we will go with his assessment. There was a variety years ago called Minaret and a contractor came to cut it and he could see the ground and could not believe how it yielded.
548E8D58-C424-4C5A-8340-9AD3EF102F8C.jpeg 3A603563-AE73-473F-BF77-9FBA5470897B.jpeg 38F2AE0C-3994-4406-AD89-5EBB45569576.jpeg

It’s very short . I might have to put the combine in the road gear to cut it. The brother thinks it’s a great crop so we will go with his assessment. There was a variety years ago called Minaret and a contractor came to cut it and he could see the ground and could not believe how it yielded.
View attachment 80367 View attachment 80368 View attachment 80369
Harenda? Looks similar here, I'm not quite sure what to make of it, straw will be scarce on it and it will need a very good grain size to yield

:oops2: Stay off the phone don’t you hit that rock, the harvest is tough enough. Hope everyone is nearly finished.

Back