Rotations

podge 23

We seem to be getting less days in the rotation I find this year compared to last year like 14 days instead of 21,we have the same number of cows so that's not the issue. is this just me or do any of the rest of ye find this ?

We seem to be getting less days in the rotation I find this year compared to last year like 14 days instead of 21,we have the same number of cows so that's not the issue. is this just me or do any of the rest of ye find this ?
fertilzer, topping, slurry, rain maybe? have you changed your system (in some form) for giving cattle a certain amount of the paddock/field each day?

Are you grazing lower covers? I found in the last month that a combination of grazing slightly lower covers and lower DM grass due to the wet weather in particular was shortening the rotation a good bit even though growth rates were fairly ok.

Are you grazing lower covers? I found in the last month that a combination of grazing slightly lower covers and lower DM grass due to the wet weather in particular was shortening the rotation a good bit even though growth rates were fairly ok.
You end up chasing your tail letting the rotation get short. BF and litres will drop when they're eating short sour grass. Mow in front of them if needed.

You end up chasing your tail letting the rotation get short. BF and litres will drop when they're eating short sour grass. Mow in front of them if needed.
What's this about mowing in front of them? What does that do?

What's this about mowing in front of them? What does that do?
Better utilisation of slightly stemmier grass, leaves a clean stuuble for regrowth, corrects my grass management shortcomings, less scutter in the parlour, grass that they would leave behind gets sweet when you cut it.

Yes grazing lower covers all along so it did have an affect on litres too,but I reckon that I might have not been using the correct fertliser and I suppose growth rates weren't fantastic around here neway.

Just wondering if you have any soil tests done lately. 14 days is way to short. And it will have a knock on effect for the back end if you don't extend it. Sounds like you will need to buffer feed. What levels of fert where you spreading?

I had soil tests done in December a bit low in k alrite but not too bad lime is all fairley good.
Yes I think it was what fertliser I was spreading more was than any thing else I was spreading sulphur can every round because we are in derogsrion here so wasnt allowed spread any thing else but I am on 18-6-12 now and the problem is sorted also the weather is a major factor obsiviusly.

I had soil tests done in December a bit low in k alrite but not too bad lime is all fairley good.
Yes I think it was what fertliser I was spreading more was than any thing else I was spreading sulphur can every round because we are in derogsrion here so wasnt allowed spread any thing else but I am on 18-6-12 now and the problem is sorted also the weather is a major factor obsiviusly.
We only spread sul can in grazing season and will go with 0-10-20 and 0-7-30 on silage ground in the back end. If derogation allows I think you might need to spread some 0s l. Would you notice a purple tint on the grass anytime? Your rotation would want to be near 28 days at least now.

Sul can every round ? We were doing that and I think it was alot of the problem on the grazing ground .
A purple tint ?
How many bags do you spread of o's then ?

Sul can every round ? We were doing that and I think it was alot of the problem on the grazing ground .
A purple tint ?
How many bags do you spread of o's then ?
We start with urea soon as the closed period is up and weather and conditions allow. If it starts to heat up will switch to can and then sul can for may, June and July back to can then for the finish. Will use protected urea either of not dry. Will usually spread a bag of 0s. Dry ground that I can get into in the spring with the shoe will get 0-10-20 the rest will get 0-7-30. Do you spread once a month or after the cows?

You could try a bag and a half of 18's the next time. Try and lengthen the rotation to give the grass a chance.

We only spread sul can in grazing season and will go with 0-10-20 and 0-7-30 on silage ground in the back end. If derogation allows I think you might need to spread some 0s l. Would you notice a purple tint on the grass anytime? Your rotation would want to be near 28 days at least now.
28 days way too long for the minute. Grass growth still to strong. Our rotation is about 18 days atm. Wont be worrying about building grass for another few weeks

Much the same allthough it should get longer now with the silage ground in the grazing block. Usally a bag to the acre or there about,sometime ya I find it's not great.

Much the same allthough it should get longer now with the silage ground in the grazing block. Usally a bag to the acre or there about,sometime ya I find it's not great.

Has the ground been reseeded recently? Or is it older permanent pasture grassland?

Are you feeding? You would really want to be extending it if not it might be a early winter on you. What's your stocking rate? Do you get out in Jan with urea? You might not be applying enough but if up takes/responses are low I think you should do a soil test again in nov/Dec might be something funny going on. Maybe get a trace element test done also

Yes lots of reseeding done with the last 6 or 7 years . Feeding 1.5 kg in the parlour. No we dont put urea out here because its usally Patricks day before we get cows out around here, most places are up to date with lime, spreading can for most of the grazing season and 18-6-12 as well .

Yes lots of reseeding done with the last 6 or 7 years . Feeding 1.5 kg in the parlour. No we dont put urea out here because its usally Patricks day before we get cows out around here, most places are up to date with lime, spreading can for most of the grazing season and 18-6-12 as well .

Hard to understand why you aren't seeing much of a response so if you have a good bit of reseeding done. I often see lads spreading lots of fertiliser but on older paddocks that haven't been reseeded in years, a fool's game in my opinion. Response to fertiliser is generally much better in new grasses, but particularly in the shoulders of the year when fertiliser applications on older grasses are hard to justify in my own experience at least.

If you are going through a rotation in the 2 weeks you might need to feed more than just meal. Ah grand what I am getting at more is on your early ground would you have fert spread before you graze? Same as what @Nashty is saying hard to figure why you aren't getting the kick from the fert maybe the case you are back as round to quick

No usally there is a good bit of grass before we get out so dont spread fert first .
Ya I reckon it is just coming back in too quick as well it can be hard to get it right I find .

No usally there is a good bit of grass before we get out so dont spread fert first .
Ya I reckon it is just coming back in too quick as well it can be hard to get it right I find .
If it was me I'd be buffer feeding to help extend the rotation. You are going to find it hard to build covers for the autumn if you stay going the way you are

Back