3rd cut

Normally only make 2 cuts of silage here a year, just after finishing the 2nd cut now.

I will be keeping some extra stock over this coming winter,

I have never taken a 3rd before so I’m just wondering how much N would you go with for 3rd cut ?

If I spread 18-6-12 at a bag per acre, I should have a nice fresh but light crop for cutting around mid to end of August ?

Was planning to put on 3 bags of 18 6 12 plus sulphur along 3k slurry .didnt get much slurry for 2nd cutso dont want to be cutting it to tight but excess k brings more problems than not enough.290 for 18 with sulpher i think

Was planning to put on 3 bags of 18 6 12 plus sulphur along 3k slurry .didnt get much slurry for 2nd cutso dont want to be cutting it to tight but excess k brings more problems than not enough.290 for 18 with sulpher i think
That is a good big dose of K, if the slurry is OK.

Good recipe for dead animals, given the luxury uptake of K from now on.
Suppose it depends on the amount and quality of the slurry, but along with the 36 units of K a big dose of slurry could cause trouble, but that being said I have seen way more K deficient silage crops than luxury K uptake by a factor of 10 to 1 or maybe even 100 to 1.

Would be just of the collecting yard at back of parlour and where they stand after milking so watery stuff.
Nothing worse than subclinical milkfever and da's from extra k though.

Yara fertiliser that was price of it at end of may from markville farms in louth deliered to leitrim
Not a fan of grassland

Suppose it depends on the amount and quality of the slurry, but along with the 36 units of K a big dose of slurry could cause trouble, but that being said I have seen way more K deficient silage crops than luxury K uptake by a factor of 10 to 1 or maybe even 100 to 1.

I suppose, I always worked of the fact a crops would require the same amount of units of K as of N, and 5:1 for N:S made up from either chemical or organic.

Be grand with magnesium flakes on silage daily as a precaution to balance the cation anion balance( cab ) ora good dry cow mineral designed for high k silage rather than the standard mineral

Be grand with magnesium flakes on silage daily as a precaution to balance the cation anion balance( cab ) ora good dry cow mineral designed for high k silage rather than the standard mineral
Why pump the silage ground with K, to in turn have to feed mag flakes to counteract subclinical issues. Cut back on a bag of K and spread a bag of magnesium

Its rare youd have to do it.wasnt enough of k out for 2nd cut cause got only 1500 gals to the acre.all was out from spring
As they say you only get out what ya put in

On a different note with silage and accidents , the contractor himself left the yard in an ambulance sunday morning.his loader driver was pushing up the last load and he went to stop his own driver and he never saw him and clipped him with the wheel and floored him. Foot / ankle in bother. Nothing to major , few weeks laid up but if there was a claim whos insurance would it be off.theres no fear of him claiming of me but if contractor had to do it to his driver would that mean that i could be held liable on my insurance.
Didnt want to mention it yet to insurance rep as we both have the same man and if contractor wanted to claim of his own personal accident cover of his farm it could leave it awkard for him

Its rare youd have to do it.wasnt enough of k out for 2nd cut cause got only 1500 gals to the acre.all was out from spring
As they say you only get out what ya put in

On a different note with silage and accidents , the contractor himself left the yard in an ambulance sunday morning.his loader driver was pushing up the last load and he went to stop his own driver and he never saw him and clipped him with the wheel and floored him. Foot / ankle in bother. Nothing to major , few weeks laid up but if there was a claim whos insurance would it be off.theres no fear of him claiming of me but if contractor had to do it to his driver would that mean that i could be held liable on my insurance.
Didnt want to mention it yet to insurance rep as we both have the same man and if contractor wanted to claim of his own personal accident cover of his farm it could leave it awkard for him
Afaik if it went down as a farm accident in the hospital the hsa will take an interest. Maybe he didn't give many details..

290 for 18-6-12+S?? That’s serious value

Glanbia today . Sweet 18 , I think it’s 18/6/10 + s + na is €340 . Richland is €325.

I very very much doubt you could buy 18/6/12+ s for 290.

Glanbia today . Sweet 18 , I think it’s 18/6/10 + s + na is €340 . Richland is €325.

That list price or selling price .

Back