Straw Prices

Was straw that was bought out of sheds during the mini drought not be in other sheds now. Were Lads buying in anticipation of a fodder shortage.

Was straw that was bought out of sheds during the mini drought not be in other sheds now. Were Lads buying in anticipation of a fodder shortage.
Wouldn’t say so , a lot goes from sheds straight to farmer, doing that takes all the goodness (profit)out of it as it has to be moved twice and puts the price up more. Some of that real cheap straw would get it hard enough to be handled once never mind twice !!!!!!

Wouldn’t say so , a lot goes from sheds straight to farmer, doing that takes all the goodness (profit)out of it as it has to be moved twice and puts the price up more. Some of that real cheap straw would get it hard enough to be handled once never mind twice !!!!!!

I mean its probably in a farmers shed. Just wondering not trying to talk it up or down.

I mean its probably in a farmers shed. Just wondering not trying to talk it up or down.
Actually got that when I looked at your post a second time !!!! Think at the time most lads were only buying to keep them going but I’m sure there probably was some bought and moved for next winter. Straw is scarce as winter barley straw is just not there In the bigger areas , it normally fills the market early and nearly makes spring barley straw second grade!!! Lots of the spring barley which was sown instead of winter also suffered in the drought which also means the spring barley straw will be back.

Hard to know what straw will be later in season.but with 5 or 6 to the acre there will be a huge shortage of straw overall. Good prices will be paid in winter when there is little to buy. Is 20 a fair price for good wb in rounds.

There was a bit cut in North Cork yesterday, heavy rain this morning stopped play, no news of yeilds etc. My Infinity is a week away or so, ripening a bit uneven but looks promising if i can keep them bas***d crows away. I am fast running out of the black stuff.

Whatever about winter crops baling up in lesser numbers I'd say spring crops are going to be very light to bale. Sb is barely knee high in places and that's including the head so it'll be very short when the heads turn down. Add to that it's thin enough as well. I might have to take the straw chopper out of gear yet on the combine :scared:

Theres an 8 acre field for sale a few miles away. The contractor says it was 7 acres when your man was making silage but hes selling 8
Very similar here,about 15 years ago before gps, local man used to get a contractor to to cut his silage,11 acres was what he told the contractor,had less cattle one year and said he set it,asked a local dairy man to take a 17 acre field,but forgot it be the same contractor cutting it..... anyway when gps came out the contractor found out there was 14 acres in the field

Back