Grain prices

August Maize is after jumping nearly €20 in the last week or ten days, old stock Maize must be in very short supply. This, while good news, will not on its own lead to a rise in the harvest grain price, November Maize price is €14 behind the August price.

@gone got a call from a merchant who I do a bit of dealing with, never grain though, he was looking for my winter barley, says he'll pay an extra €5 over the big 2 players, is there a demand appearing
Sorry for the late reply.
Yes there is demand, driven by what will be a very small harvest probably even smaller than 2018 around here, and a shortage of European Maize till the harvest, but that is dampened by a very depressed US grain market. I really don't know which of these 2 opposing forces will win, but the Irish market can't defy gravity, so for any real rise in prices the US market will have to rise.

Wheat prices under pressure, Trump's Idiotic Trade wars have protected us from the worst of the Barley prices, but the EU is a wheat exporter.
The price difference between wheat and barley is reducing a good bit on European markets, unfortunately it is more that wheat is dropping than barley rising.

Wheat prices under pressure, Trump's Idiotic Trade wars have protected us from the worst of the Barley prices, but the EU is a wheat exporter.
The price difference between wheat and barley is reducing a good bit on European markets, unfortunately it is more that wheat is dropping than barley rising.
Big harvest to come out of the Black Sea also, and a big Canadian harvest expected as well. There’ll be no shortage of wheat.

There must be a load more fat in this malt business than meets the eye if we can afford to truck it to the port, load it, unload it, truck it to malt plant, malt it, truck it back from malt plant, load it, sail it again, unload it and truck it. Hope they all wore their hard hats, safety shoes, masks and hi-vis and had their trailer numbers right through the whole process. Pull the other one I say.

There must be a load more fat in this malt business than meets the eye if we can afford to truck it to the port, load it, unload it, truck it to malt plant, malt it, truck it back from malt plant, load it, sail it again, unload it and truck it. Hope they all wore their hard hats, safety shoes, masks and hi-vis and had their trailer numbers right through the whole process. Pull the other one I say.
I’m not privy to the situation but I’d imagine that if you have a contract to supply malt to a big brewery then it’s a contract that you have to meet regardless of what happens inside your own business.

I’m not privy to the situation but I’d imagine that if you have a contract to supply malt to a big brewery then it’s a contract that you have to meet regardless of what happens inside your own business.
What was their excuse last year when they closed Ross to unload a boat? We're being taken for fools.

Reactions: Bcl

I you assume Boormalt would claim Force Majeure on a % of the contract they couldnt forthfill, considering half their plant collapsed

An entirely plausible scenario in fairness. Just funny.

Back