BEAM Documentation

Nashty

Did anyone on here get BEAM documentation in the post last week? Gives instructions re Agfood, but when I log on to Agfood I cannot see the info re the 5% requirement to destock. Doesn't seem to be available, is it online yet?

Did anyone on here get BEAM documentation in the post last week? Gives instructions re Agfood, but when I log on to Agfood I cannot see the info re the 5% requirement to destock. Doesn't seem to be available, is it online yet?
Go into the exceptional aid measures section and its in there

Click on ‘Applications’ in top left corner, then select your application, and click view application

Thanks all, found it there now, much appreciated. Seems to be a reasonably good way to track it.

Thanks all, found it there now, much appreciated. Seems to be a reasonably good way to track it.

Only problem is that half of the farmers in the country won't be able to use it. We had a discussion group meeting last night and most people didn't understand it, never mind be able to track it. I'm afraid that a lot of the money will be reclaimed next year.

Only problem is that half of the farmers in the country won't be able to use it. We had a discussion group meeting last night and most people didn't understand it, never mind be able to track it. I'm afraid that a lot of the money will be reclaimed next year.

That's nonsense, for most people their numbers don't change by a whole lot or else they have the same pattern each year. If everyone ensured that they had 5% less stock than they had in the same period for the reference period then there should be no issues.

It's not that difficult to do. I'm sure the Department will be sending out more correspondence on it anyway over the year similar to the letters from last two weeks or so.

That's nonsense, for most people their numbers don't change by a whole lot or else they have the same pattern each year. If everyone ensured that they had 5% less stock than they had in the same period for the reference period then there should be no issues.

It's not that difficult to do. I'm sure the Department will be sending out more correspondence on it anyway over the year similar to the letters from last two weeks or so.

I was looking through my figures and it might not be so simple, I have been steadily increasing numbers and am a good bit over.

I was looking through my figures and it might not be so simple, I have been steadily increasing numbers and am a good bit over.

Well at least you copped it now rather than six months time which gives you time to act by either culling hard for a year, selling weanlings early or not buying as many stock.

Well at least you copped it now rather than six months time which gives you time to act by either culling hard for a year, selling weanlings early or not buying as many stock.

When your numbers are small and you increase by even one or two cows plus the calves or weanlings that go along with them it is harder to reduce by 5%, if you have a larger herd and only increase by one or two it is easier to reduce 5%
I'll have to do the figures on them options and maybe sell some and buy back next year

It's not really nonsense. At our group meeting, some lads thought that the figures were based on their nitrates statement, ie. Kg/ha. They thought that by renting extra land, they could meet the target.

On contacting the dept, the planner was told that they will send out another statement in the last quarter. By then it will have a big impact on anyone who hasn't made a start on their reduction.
For, example we have to reduce by 4. If we wait until the last quarter, we will have to reduce by 16 for the last 3 months in order to get an average of 4 over the 12 months. People don't realise that the amount that they need to reduce is based on annual average, not total figures in July 2021.

When your numbers are small and you increase by even one or two cows plus the calves or weanlings that go along with them it is harder to reduce by 5%, if you have a larger herd and only increase by one or two it is easier to reduce 5%
I'll have to do the figures on them options and maybe sell some and buy back next year

If you follow the steps to get into agfood above, there is a document which gives options on how you can make the reduction. You don't have to reduce cow numbers. You can sell weanlings or stores earlier instead.

Worst case scenario for lads is that this money is an interest free loan that you end up paying back if you cannot or will not reduce the stock numbers accordingly. It is punitive though if you were building up stock numbers at the time though. Short term gain long term pain really.

We were upping our numbers slowly so we didn't enter the scheme. It's as simple as that. There's a few lads around here that took the money at the time and I asked they how they were going to deal with the reduction. Sure we'll work it out when the time comes. Now they are moaning now the time has come.:scratchhead:

Worst case scenario for lads is that this money is an interest free loan that you end up paying back if you cannot or will not reduce the stock numbers accordingly. It is punitive though if you were building up stock numbers at the time though. Short term gain long term pain really.

The penalties for not doing so are pretty hefty too. It's not linear so you could have went most of the way but still have to give back nearly all the money.

The penalties for not doing so are pretty hefty too. It's not linear so you could have went most of the way but still have to give back nearly all the money.

From my limited understanding, unless you fully comply, then you do have to give back all of the money. There are no penalties, it will just be subtracted from your BPS I thought?

Non-compliance Penalty Failure to reduce the production of bovine Reduction of less than 4% livestock manure nitrogen by 5% for the period 01 shall incur a 100% penalty; July 2020 to 30 June 2021 as compared with the Reduction of 4% or more but period 01 July 2018 to 30 June 2019. less than 4.4% shall incur 80% penalty; Reduction of 4.4% or more but less than 4.6% shall incur 60% penalty; Reduction of 4.6% or more but less than 4.8% shall incur 40% penalty; Reduction of 4.8% or more and less than 5% shall incur a 20% penalty; Failure to continue to be a member of at least one 100% penalty environmental scheme or quality scheme

I actually have a second herd number in my name and it has been lying dormant for a few years, would it work if I used it or would it only open a can of worms

There is a 100% penalty if the department decide that a farmer artificially creates the conditions to qualify for the payment.

I know a farmer who got the full 10k. He did a rough calculation and thinks he might have to buy 70 less animals. Suppose it comes down to whether he thinks he can make 10k out of those 70 animals? Maybe stock relief , income tax liability etc come into it also ?

Back