Straw Prices

Any talk of straw prices for any of the winter barley straw that is beginning to move, I’ve a few going collecting bales here tomorrow wondering how much but I kicked for touch

Baled 15 acres for a man today , there was 70 8/4/4 bales on it last year , 25 this year . Straw is scarcer than 2018 because at least the winter barley straw yielded then , both winter and spring will be a disaster up this way this year.

Spoke to a couple of Cork dealers today. Despite the fact that straw yields will be pretty normal in Cork, they both freely said that prices will be up a bit because of demand from further north.

I’m hearing €20/round for barley straw in North Cork.

Rape straw has a high calorific value which means it is very good for burning in furnaces for heat, for bedding it’s not worth much hence my question.

Spoke to a couple of Cork dealers today. Despite the fact that straw yields will be pretty normal in Cork, they both freely said that prices will be up a bit because of demand from further north.

I’m hearing €20/round for barley straw in North Cork.
Just wait on the journal to talk down the price.

Just wait on the journal to talk down the price.
It definitely made a mess of it last year, the tone appears to have changed this year so far.

Forecast looks a bit mixed now for the next couple of weeks, that won’t make straw any more plentiful.

I think the realisation that straw is not going to be there is hitting home , had a lorry man on from the north this morning, he only ever rings me late in the session if he is stuck, asked what he wanted and said whatever he could get. He is to ring back in 3 weeks once the spring barley is cut but I told him that I probably won’t have any once my regular customers are sorted.

It definitely made a mess of it last year, the tone appears to have changed this year so far.

Forecast looks a bit mixed now for the next couple of weeks, that won’t make straw any more plentiful.

Yep the weather is a mess up here, just as WB is coming ripe...
Second growth in SB certainly won't make it easier to cut/bale!

It has started already. Talking about the second growth in spring crops possibly reducing the deficit from 3 to 1~1.5 million bales. My winter barely straw is back over 6 bales an acre.

That balony is only paper filler. I'm always reminded of the saying many a slip between cup and lip....

We’ve competed baling in two fields of winter barley, one bale up just over 4 round bales/ac
the other baled up 5.5.
To put the yield in context, the last year there was over 700 bales on that farm, about half was sold,
out of the field and remainder put in a shed and sold in the winter.
This year the straw is over sold, 400 bales have been booked, there’s only 370 made, there will be no straw to be sold from that yard next winter.

I’ve heard the price for imported feeding straw, it’s above the price of dry barley.

Back