At the mart...

The demand for angus cattle seems to be gone way back, was in the mart on Tuesday, angus and Hereford cattle were a very poor trade, even the really beefy type ones, charolais and limousins were way ahead, even for dry cows.

The demand for angus cattle seems to be gone way back, was in the mart on Tuesday, angus and Hereford cattle were a very poor trade, even the really beefy type ones, charolais and limousins were way ahead, even for dry cows.

I thought they were looking for Angus cattle for export at present, seems to be ads on DoneDeal looking for them anyways, thought there would be good demand?

I thought they were looking for Angus cattle for export at present, seems to be ads on DoneDeal looking for them anyways, thought there would be good demand?
What mart was that if you don't mind me asking?

Has anyone sold forward continental store bullovks lately?
I'm told they have firmed in price.
Think I might shift a few

Why sell cattle at 28 months, buyer will be budgeting 20c QA payment less for them?
It suits me to sell them now.
I have a test coming shortly, I'm trying to lighten the load .
The trade seems quite good, who knows what lies ahead.
I could do with the money.
Sold two continental bulls last night as well. I don't see much difference in price even though one of them is obviously very much "out of spec"
20200728_120033.jpg

It suits me to sell them now.
I have a test coming shortly, I'm trying to lighten the load .
The trade seems quite good, who knows what lies ahead.
I could do with the money.
Sold two continental bulls last night as well. I don't see much difference in price even though one of them is obviously very much "out of spec"
View attachment 80843

I just find it strange why farmers dont try and market their animal as best as possible. Selling them a 2 weeks ago would have meant they have the potential to collect Qa payment.

I dont see anything out of spec with those 2 above animals?

Why sell cattle at 28 months, buyer will be budgeting 20c QA payment less for them?
Continental store cattle are making £2.25 or €2.55 for r grade cattle 20 miles up the road and across the border. From what I can see, these buyers don't care about an animal being bord bia approved.

Will a four month old calf make a pairing with its mother any more valuable than your more typical cow with calf at foot pairing where the calf is a month old ?

I've too many cattle and would have sold before now only a cow decided to knock me around a bit so delayed plans etc

Cows in question may or may not be in calf ,four to sell with calves

Last edited:
I just find it strange why farmers dont try and market their animal as best as possible. Selling them a 2 weeks ago would have meant they have the potential to collect Qa payment.

I dont see anything out of spec with those 2 above animals?

The CH is out of spec in my eyes, will be 30 months at the end of November and at 542kgs that's 160kgs to put up in 4 months. I'm assuming they are bullocks and that one would want to hit the ground running and then more...

All my take on it :yes:

Sold a 6 year old speckle park bull the other day not sure of weight as I just dropped him off but price was €1350 ..

Looking at marts online today, prices for heavy stock are well back. €50 to €80 at least. Younger and lighter stock are holding their own

Brexit is going nowhere in terms of an agreement, like clockwork, prices will fall back towards year end ,that and the fact covid 19 is far from solved

We were shy on females with 4 or 5 stars to make our number for the genomics so bought a couple online last week. Happy enough with the 2 of them when i saw them for real.
As you can see from the board in my screenshot, it says one has a genomic evaluation and is 5 star. The problem is it's a non genomic evaluation and we got the card in the post looking for a clump of tail hairs!
Screenshot_20200804-233318.jpg
Anyway, hopefully the test will go alright. What I really wanted to do was to warn lads not to leave things to the last minute to make the numbers with stars. There won't be time to get the genomic test if the above happens. Also dont go too young, they have to be 16 months on 31st Oct.

We were shy on females with 4 or 5 stars to make our number for the genomics so bought a couple online last week. Happy enough with the 2 of them when i saw them for real.
As you can see from the board in my screenshot, it says one has a genomic evaluation and is 5 star. The problem is it's a non genomic evaluation and we got the card in the post looking for a clump of tail hairs!
View attachment 81028
Anyway, hopefully the test will go alright. What I really wanted to do was to warn lads not to leave things to the last minute to make the numbers with stars. There won't be time to get the genomic test if the above happens. Also dont go too young, they have to be 16 months on 31st Oct.

I have a dozen for sale in Galway if anyone is looking. All with evaluations. Lmx and six. 400 to 500 kg. Youngest is may 2019.

They'll probably go to a mart in the next 4 to 5 weeks and can be bought online. I can send some pics beforehand if anyone wants to see them.

I Have 4 lots of 2 forward stores booked in to ballymahon tomorrow, my first experience of online sales so it will be interesting.
I think I will be in the sellers box anyway

View attachment 81028

Was told that samples needed to be sent before the end of April in order to have them back in time for to met the October 31st deadline. I wonder will the hair sample be back in time? If not, she won't be eligible.

Was told that samples needed to be sent before the end of April in order to have them back in time for to met the October 31st deadline. I wonder will the hair sample be back in time? If not, she won't be eligible.
Only need this one sorted now. Thought we had the job sorted too. They shouldn't be sending out the kits if they're not going to have em tested in time. And the marts need to have clearer info. Will pickup another if needed. At least only the one. Anyone with a few to get would want to get the finger out really.

Only need this one sorted now. Thought we had the job sorted too. They shouldn't be sending out the kits if they're not going to have em tested in time. And the marts need to have clearer info. Will pickup another if needed. At least only the one. Anyone with a few to get would want to get the finger out really.

I'm sure it will work out - you should follow it up with a phonecall when you send in the sample, tell them that it wasn't your fault and ask them to have it tested urgently so that it will qualify.

There's lots of lads that still need to buy - that's why i'm going to hold out for another month - wait till the journal starts printing headlines about how many farmers are going to lose money by not having enough of them, :)

I'm sure it will work out - you should follow it up with a phonecall when you send in the sample, tell them that it wasn't your fault and ask them to have it tested urgently so that it will qualify.

There's lots of lads that still need to buy - that's why i'm going to hold out for another month - wait till the journal starts printing headlines about how many farmers are going to lose money by not having enough of them, :)
Will chase it up with them alright.
There will definitely be a panic at the end as lads always leave stuff off. Wish we had some spare to sell.

I honestly don't know how it takes them so long to do these tests. They should be able to turn them around in a few days

ICBF are the most useless organisation known to man and that is why it takes them so long to get the results back.

Back