Winter Barley 2020

Same story here. We are looking at the worst winter barley harvest since we started back growing it in 2005. Blasting through acres since Friday, easy cut, easier haul away. Tipping in the shed, we will deliver later this week, I don't see it making 3.0T/ac at 16-18%.
I think we got the agronomy right, crops looked lovely up until mid May when drought took hold. In hindsight we probably overspent on chemistry, yields don't justify the big final spray applied but I didn't see this coming. Drought is fast becoming the biggest yield robber in this part of the country.

Cut our field of wb yesterday just valerie just under the 3.5/ ac 3 loads at 18.1%65 kph 15.4% 63.9kph and 18.4% 65.4 kph . Same field did 3.25 last year

Attachments

• 20200720_170059.jpg
    20200720_170059.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20200720_191724.jpg
    20200720_191724.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 20200720_193614.jpg
    20200720_193614.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200720_193622.jpg
    20200720_193622.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200720_170059.jpg
    20200720_170059.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20200720_170134.jpg
    20200720_170134.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 77
The little bit of wb that we have left after the rest failing after the winter is still nearly a week away from cutting. Nothing cut around but then again most of it failed.sb is looking ok tho

Cut my bit of infinity today, 3.2/ac at 14%, half the field was burnt out of it, the other half was ok, that field was been in WB for 6 years it was never done less than 4 ton/ac.

Worst part of cutting it was looking at the field of sb beside it

I thought I'd be cutting mine by now but it looks like it might take another week. There's bits are rotten ripe but there's a mountain of green heads and soft grains scattered throughout the barley. Atm I'd say the moisture would probably avg 22 or 23% if I was to cut it. If the weather settled down to a bit of heat and lively conditions a couple of days would probably ripen it up.

First official results in ... joyau following rape and ley did 3.6 @20%. Very happy with it considering what other crops around are doing and it would have been on land affected buy the drought.
Would you like it as a variety? Do you know how the KPH was? 6 rows in general be it hybrid or conventional are yielding well down here also

I thought I'd be cutting mine by now but it looks like it might take another week. There's bits are rotten ripe but there's a mountain of green heads and soft grains scattered throughout the barley. Atm I'd say the moisture would probably avg 22 or 23% if I was to cut it. If the weather settled down to a bit of heat and lively conditions a couple of days would probably ripen it up.
Go on, bring it for a test drive, you know you want to! The average moisture might be a good bit lower than you expect, I thought mine was around 20% and when I sampled the first run the Protimeter tested it at 17.2%.

Go on, bring it for a test drive, you know you want to! The average moisture might be a good bit lower than you expect, I thought mine was around 20% and when I sampled the first run the Protimeter tested it at 17.2%.
Our barley had a good few stems that had a bit of green still in them, especially towards the top. However, the grain was hard, I hadn’t seen it before.

Our barley had a good few stems that had a bit of green still in them, especially towards the top. However, the grain was hard, I hadn’t seen it before.

Same here. Belfry came in at between 15 and 16% apart from under trees which was closer to 20%

Finished my WB yesterday evening overall average 3.73 t/ac moisture ranged from majority of loads at 16 or 17 to one or two at 20 where the rabbits grazed early in the year, it was just late ripening. Happy enough with that but as most years i thought it looked like it was going to be higher yielding a month ago.
Now have to face into the playing around with straw and a week of rain due, only turn what you think you can bale dry before the next rain. Oh the joys of tillage!!!!

Would you like it as a variety? Do you know how the KPH was? 6 rows in general be it hybrid or conventional are yielding well down here also
Didn’t get any kph, I will be growing it again as it’s seed . So far 6 rows seem to be yielding better also especially in the early winter barley but have moved into better fields of barley which are 2 rows and they are getting close to 3.5 I think

What are the pros and cons of 6 row versus 2 row varieties? I have never been involved in growing 6 row barley so know little or nothing about it.

Finished our bit before lunch, hard to say exact acres as some was resown with spring barley but on a fairly close guess of acreage it’s just over 3.5t .moistures weren’t wonderful, 17.8to 19.6 And bushels 60.8 to 66 depending on load.

Last edited:
We started this morning, cut a few load, rain stopped play around 3pm, moisture about 20%
When we’ll be finished I don’t know, it could be two weeks or it could be three weeks before we get it finished.
It’s no joke trying to make a living out of full time tillage and beef farming.

Same here stems were green, grain was between 13 and 14%!

Cut and finished my field of pixel on Wednesday. 4.2tonnes with kph 66-68
The most of it went for malting so an added bonus there. Moisture started at 20 and worked it's way down to 17.5. Very happy with how it turned out.

We have started fields of valerie and infinity but only cut what was ripe. The rest of the field had soft grains with green straw.

Finished cutting this morning before the rain, last artic load went away this evening. All Cassia averaged 3.959T @15.7% moisture and KPH of 68.1 hard to judge straw as we've only managed to bale 150 bales in one field, going to be plenty tossing and turning as no headlands are baled. Moisture lowest of 14.4 highest 17.9, KPH highest 70 lowest 67

Only had a couple of fields of winter barley, all Valerie. One that had a good few thin areas and bits blank yielded 4.1tn at 17%mc, 68kph, 0.8% screenings.
The other field which had no blank areas yielded 4.4tn.

All baled up and under cover.

All 3rd crop cereal, plan is to plant WOSR in these fields at the end of August.

The plots yielded very well with a good number surpassing the 5tn mark. They were in the second field mentioned above. I haven’t analysed the plot results yet but one promising new 2 row may have out yielded everything else including both conventional and hybrid 6 rows. It averaged 5.2tn at 20% mc.

All grown with 170 units of N, 3 fungicides (2 runs of proline+Bravo and one run of Ceriax).

We were very lucky down here to have avoided the worst of the spring drought. I have no regrets for going with the early bit of N.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only had a couple of fields of winter barley, all Valerie. One that had a good few thin areas and bits blank yielded 4.1tn at 17%mc, 68kph, 0.8% screenings.
The other field which had no blank areas yielded 4.4tn.

All baled up and under cover.

All 3rd crop cereal, plan is to plant WOSR in these fields at the end of August.

The plots yielded very well with a good number surpassing the 5tn mark. They were in the second field mentioned above. I haven’t analysed the plot results yet but one promising new 2 row may have out yielded everything else including both conventional and hybrid 6 rows. It averaged 5.2tn at 20% mc.

All grown with 170 units of N, 3 fungicides (2 runs of proline+Bravo and one run of Ceriax).
I have nothing cut.... The best crops are still to ripen :no:.

Back