Factory Prices General thread

€3.80 (Base) being offered by agent for bullocks for next week.

5 cent rise from what you got 3 weeks ago, would you not expect them to be up a bit more,
Same place or are you tying somewhere else?

We haven’t sold anything in a while, the rise is very welcome, we’ve been buying in stores, they’re too dear relative to the price of beef.

5 cent rise from what you got 3 weeks ago, would you not expect them to be up a bit more,

We haven’t sold anything in a while, the rise is very welcome, we’ve been buying in stores, they’re too dear relative to the price of beef.
Up 10c here on 3 weeks ago, now 3.70, hoping for another lift next week.

Yea, same business, except over your part of the country. Although confirmed in these parts too when I booked with them an hour or 2 ago. Would have hoped that they might have risen more by now because prices don't traditionally rise from August onwards. If we could have seen them go up another bit, it would have left more room for the drop when supplies do increase. It would be hateful to see them back at €3.50 again in September.

I'd imagine that it has been tough going buying stores? We were very happy with the group that we sold in March from home and we didn't rim it on prices. We sold a few younger ones in the marts in April, May and June and got better priced than at home. Had been following marts up to a few weeks ago and they only seemed to get dearer. Have a dozen store heifers to sell myself from September onwards. 16 to 18 months old. Half of them are 5* and I'll probably target a special sale in the hope that someone will buy them to hit the targets on genomics. The others will be sold for finishing. It was a good year for weight gain. Grass wasn't too plentyful, but the quality was excellent. I have bullocks that are 16 to 18 months and pushing 500kg without ever seeing a dust of meal.

Last edited:
500kg Charolais and Limousin early Spring 2019 born heifers, 450kg to 550kg, 500kg average, sell now as stores or keep with a view to killing out of the shed before Christmas? Good R grade heifers on average, some Us, some Os. Lots of grass for them but cannot see there being much out of keeping them on given current store prices. I'd have them sold already if I knew what I was going to replace them with to eat the grass.

500kg Charolais and Limousin early Spring 2019 born heifers, 450kg to 550kg, 500kg average, sell now as stores or keep with a view to killing out of the shed before Christmas? Good R grade heifers on average, some Us, some Os. Lots of grass for them but cannot see there being much out of keeping them on given current store prices. I'd have them sold already if I knew what I was going to replace them with to eat the grass.
Surplus grass is driving store prices at the moment good continental heifers like that will make 1100 - 1200 in the mart selling. What will they make dead at a base of €3.75 say liveweight 500 + 120 = 620, DW @53% = 330kg. If you get €4.10 gross = €1347
Cost to feed them inside for 70 days will take more than the difference. So I'd say sell. and spread less fertiliser or make third cut if you need it. My guess is store price will drop, I'm spreading half rate fert at the moment. As I have sold cattle and have aftergrass coming. It goes against what we as farmers are wired to do in maximising output. We need to look at profit.

Surplus grass is driving store prices at the moment good continental heifers like that will make 1100 - 1200 in the mart selling. What will they make dead at a base of €3.75 say liveweight 500 + 120 = 620, DW @53% = 330kg. If you get €4.10 gross = €1347
Cost to feed them inside for 70 days will take more than the difference. So I'd say sell. and spread less fertiliser or make third cut if you need it. My guess is store price will drop, I'm spreading half rate fert at the moment. As I have sold cattle and have aftergrass coming. It goes against what we as farmers are wired to do in maximising output. We need to look at profit.
Exactly, bank the money. Someone may want silage later in the year

Exactly, bank the money. Someone may want silage later in the year

Thanks lads, ya I think I will try go with a lorry load of them in the next 10 days or so, and see how we go. Finished them last year and wasn't enthused with the returns from the final finishing period, would have gotten as much out of them to sell as stores even allowing for the issues with the protests at the time etc.

€3.80 (Base) being offered by agent for bullocks for next week.

The northern factories must be taking allot of cattle from your factories areas. That's 10c above the market atm. Or considering that your plant is normally just reselling sides, it makes it look like that part of their business is subsidising there own fresh markets.

I was disappointed to see what a friend in retail was paying for premium beef last week. I was expecting the price to be 10 to 15% higher. :scratchhead:

The northern factories must be taking allot of cattle from your factories areas. That's 10c above the market atm. Or considering that your plant is normally just reselling sides, it makes it look like that part of their business is subsidising there own fresh markets.

I was disappointed to see what a friend in retail was paying for premium beef last week. I was expecting the price to be 10 to 15% higher. :scratchhead:

I think at this stage most people have figured out that the retailers are creaming it on beef.

€3.75 is freely available today from more than the factory that I deal with. A neighbor sent cattle with an agent to a factory further south from us yesterday and got it.

€3.80 is the quote that they gave for next week.

I know an owner of a well known branded supermarket in a pretty big town. Up to last year, they supplied all of the beef and lamb for their meat counter from their family farm. However, under new franchise rules, they have to buy all meat from a supplier chosen by the supermarket franchise. It would no be the place to put up figures, but he is able to compare what he gets for cattle and sheep in meat factories now to what he has to pay for retail beef and lamb from his supplier and by all accounts, either the factory or the supplier are making huge profits. I'm not talking about a mickey mouse corner shop. I'm talking about a supermarket brand with almost 25% or the retail market share in Ireland.

Last edited:
I'm just back from the mart and the prices I saw paid for nice ch cattle lads must think 4.50 is on the way. 460kg good R grading stock made 1300. Maybe I'm not with it at all but I'd consider that loss making money.
Give him a years grass and silage with no meals and he should kill 400kg ish, at €4.00kg he's leaving €300 to cover his years keep, if €100 of that is profit at best.

Give him a years grass and silage with no meals and he should kill 400kg ish, at €4.00kg he's leaving €300 to cover his years keep, if €100 of that is profit at best.
Would he even have 100 out of it?. I have my doubts and that's assuming 4 euro. It's a while now since 4 euro was offered for cattle.

I'm just back from the mart and the prices I saw paid for nice ch cattle lads must think 4.50 is on the way. 460kg good R grading stock made 1300. Maybe I'm not with it at all but I'd consider that loss making money.
I'd reckon there's less risk doing the lotto. Theres lads didnt get a calculator this Christmas again.

Your running a very cheap system if your complete costs are less that a €1 a day.

Maybe if you own your own land and money, this can work. For me that animal would have €120 of rent and €84 of interest on his head for 365 days period.

Back