Spring Barley - General Thread

I honestly dont know what's going to be done with it all. I winder if the weather played ball and the first lot was rotten ripe and you sprayed it would it ripen the second lot quick enough... maybe it would all end in a loss then though. You might be right
If the weather improved and we got into a decent blast of good sunshine and warmth I wouldn't be one bit concerned with the green bits. They'll come in fairly quickly as well you'll find and if they are a bit higher on moisture itself the rotten ripe stuff will balance that out. It's not ideal but beyond our control unfortunately.

If the weather improved and we got into a decent blast of good sunshine and warmth I wouldn't be one bit concerned with the green bits. They'll come in fairly quickly as well you'll find and if they are a bit higher on moisture itself the rotten ripe stuff will balance that out. It's not ideal but beyond our control unfortunately.
Ah I think we'll get the majority of ours but what @gone is talking about is a bigger gap again so will be tough going

Ah I think we'll get the majority of ours but what @gone is talking about is a bigger gap again so will be tough going
If it was really bad with green heads would a quick go over in a mobile grain drier be of benefit?. From a cost perspective I mean vs the hit to the price for high moisture grain in a merchants.

I’d imagine the soft green heads will stay on the straw unthrashed and go out the back of the combine
I dunno, I've cut out green bits before and you'd be alarmed at the state of the sample in the grain tank. Granted it was with a small combine. The newer bigger ones might handle green grain differently.

In 1989 was a very dry year and spring wheat put out a second lot of tillers after a few very wet days early in June. When the harvest came around the second lot of tillers only took about a week extra to ripen and contributed a small bit to the yield. I know the tillers are a bit later this year but if the weather was good from now on is there a chance they might ripen.

Last edited:
Our opico dryer handles green pickle ok, it just drys up to nothing. It's the riper white soft stuff that gives bother - it just stays soft!
Having said that I've areas that are 2/3 green now.
We've fields l might split, black soil at the bottom and sandy stuff near the top that burned up, now the majority of the latter is lush secondary green...
I've seen secondary growth, but nothing to rival this year.

I don't see any in mine but then ours was dieing on it's feet with drought and zero rain around flowering where southern areas got rain when we were parched. The advice from a ramularia point of view is T2 before the head is fully out but maybe head fully out would help that sort of thing. The other side of the coin is ramularia occours every year but head diseases in barley less often so probably best effectiveness is earlier.

Anybody else seeing what Blackwater Boy and I have noticed in crops? It's in all the barley here and looking at what spray went on it, I'm quite annoyed and It's very noticeable. I must check some that got no T1 tomorrow if I remember.
Ya I have it in mine too, mainly in the field that got both a T1 and T2, the rest only got a T2. My biggest current problem is a mixture of both crows in one area and small song birds in another, the song birds are Doing fair harm here

Anybody else seeing what Blackwater Boy and I have noticed in crops? It's in all the barley here and looking at what spray went on it, I'm quite annoyed and It's very noticeable. I must check some that got no T1 tomorrow if I remember.
Yes, there’s bits of it in crops here but very very low levels.

Ive noticed that it’s in later tillers and later crops and that’s just down to the weather that coincided with pollination.
I wouldn’t beat myself up over it as the current sprays don’t do anything for it in my experience.
There’s a new fungicide in the pipeline from Syngenta (one of those I mentioned in relation to Septoria) that has shown good control of the fusarium species this year, that would be the first to do so while I’ve been working in crops.
I heard the other day that this chemical is already used in Canada and that they use it as a wheat head spray there.

We have Planet here for malting and it’s difficult to find any diseased grains in it but I must have another look through it. It’s shaping up to be a very difficult year for malting between late tillers (high moisture/screenings/high protein) & grain diseases.
Even very low levels of fusarium (below safe levels from a mycotoxin point of view) can cause what they call gushing in beer. It basically causes excessively high levels of beer to overflow from a bottle or can when it’s opened. Such barley can be unusable from a brewing point of view.

Yep it must be weather related, I've been in three other growers fields this evening and 2 are definitely different varieties. All got different timings spray wise. All but one have infection to some degree. The only one that doesn't wasnt sown until two weeks after everything else if I remember correctly.

Wouldn't it be a grand country if we could roof it :rolleyes2:

Cut the 17ha of Planet cuckoo barley...

12.2% moisture.
66 kph.
12.7% protein.
64,6 tons in total, so less than 4 t/ha.

It got 45 units of N per acre, weed spray, and a half rate of Tilt at 2nd node.

I reckon I’ll be able to retire to the south of France if I’d enough of that!!

Cut the 17ha of Planet cuckoo barley...

12.2% moisture.
66 kph.
12.7% protein.
64,6 tons in total, so less than 4 t/ha.

It got 45 units of N per acre, weed spray, and a half rate of Tilt at 2nd node.

I reckon I’ll be able to retire to the south of France if I’d enough of that!!
Mine is starting to look that way too...
20200723_172711.jpg

20200724_190529.jpg

Probably should be in the what impressed/pleased me thread in a way.

My next door neighbour (non farmer) where this land is dropped over today to tell me that crows were at my crop.

I'm afraid MF30 must be slipping his guard.

View attachment 80755

Probably should be in the what impressed/pleased me thread in a way.

My next door neighbour (non farmer) where this land is dropped over today to tell me that crows were at my crop.

I'm afraid MF30 must be slipping his guard.
I’ll send down another few thousand, such delicacies need sampling around the county. Might be safer down your way. I pulled some crow skeletons from the stone trap of the combine last week.

I’ll send down another few thousand, such delicacies need sampling around the county. Might be safer down your way. I pulled some crow skeletons from the stone trap of the combine last week.

We might be best giving them a passport for some other county :whistle:

We might be best giving them a passport for some other county :whistle:
I believe there’s a lot of small plots of prime barley varieties in East Cork, crows would love that. It’d be like them playing snakes and ladders or bingo..Lets just send them on. I’ll start firing from the east side of the farm at daylight to encourage their direction. Think of all the free fertilizer aka bird-droppings that a lucky Cork farmer might get unexpectedly. All we want is peace.

I believe there’s a lot of small plots of prime barley varieties in East Cork, crows would love that. It’d be like them playing snakes and ladders or bingo..Lets just send them on. I’ll start firing from the east side of the farm at daylight to encourage their direction. Think of all the free fertilizer aka bird-droppings that a lucky Cork farmer might get unexpectedly. All we want is peace.
There were 100’s of them here this afternoon on the winter stubble but not touching the spring stuff thankfully. I didn’t detect any Wexford accents.
I’ve a black Mossberg pump action that is very offensive looking.....

Any combine operators tell me if this is going to break my heart ?

Attachments

• A9412318-4FC2-493F-833B-BC47B7DCFA38.jpeg
    A9412318-4FC2-493F-833B-BC47B7DCFA38.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 98
  • BF45CD6E-DB65-4733-AD11-C210CD046942.jpeg
    BF45CD6E-DB65-4733-AD11-C210CD046942.jpeg
    450 KB · Views: 89
  • A160FB8A-E18B-4A36-B292-53E1D3792116.jpeg
    A160FB8A-E18B-4A36-B292-53E1D3792116.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 89
  • DECB1AC9-77FA-41B0-B45F-C2003C948D26.jpeg
    DECB1AC9-77FA-41B0-B45F-C2003C948D26.jpeg