Grass Growth Rates

Are you struggling to get covers to build up ahead? We are, cows not 1 but happy with short leafy low DM grass, full of N also. They are eating a phenomenal amount of grass, went back in feeding maize again.

Have always found after a drought cattle are never happy with the grass that grows. It's all down to the importance in raising sugars in grass.

Moved cows this morning from paddock they were hungry in, they went into a field of grass and stood at the gate roaring

You get some growth rate down your direction. How high can you manage to take average demand? 70?
Been lucky this yr rain has came when needed. .ya 65 is at 2 kg meal at current stocking rate .we don't seem to get massive growth spurts I can count on 1 hand the number of weeks of 100 plus over the last 4 yrs .doing a bit to try and get more in the shoulders of the yr as I think it's better policy when we don't have much ground on the platform closed for silage

Growth down to around 40 here,grass is bate into the ground.
Cows gone in tonight at least they’ll have a dry lie,the last time I had cows housed in August they didn’t go out till the following May.

Put in 500kg+ stores tonight, couldn't bear to look at the mess they are likely to make if they were left in the field with what rain is due over the next few hours.:sad:

Not the only one doing it either.

Growth down to around 40 here,grass is bate into the ground.
Cows gone in tonight at least they’ll have a dry lie,the last time I had cows housed in August they didn’t go out till the following May.
What year was that? Cows here being heavily fed with maize at milking times and keeping them in after milking and bringing them in early etc, grass DM’s down to 11% in moorepark the other day, a cow would need to eat near 125kgs fresh of grass a day to be full.

Back