Take all control

jay gatsby

Well lads, we only have a small bit of tillage and need the straw ourselves, keep some barley for feed and also sell a bit in small squares. As a result we dont get very adventurous in rotation, also on our light ground winter crops have done an awful lot better in general than spring which can suffer in a short growing season if we get any few dry weeks at the wrong time.

As a result we go with mainly 2 thirds winter barley 1 third winter oats, this year being an anomaly as we have spring oats and barley in due to not being able to sow last back end but as my pictures in other threads have shown it dont look great.

To cut to the chase how worried should we be about take all and is latitude a good safeguard or is later sowing a better option?

Well lads, we only have a small bit of tillage and need the straw ourselves, keep some barley for feed and also sell a bit in small squares. As a result we dont get very adventurous in rotation, also on our light ground winter crops have done an awful lot better in general than spring which can suffer in a short growing season if we get any few dry weeks at the wrong time.

As a result we go with mainly 2 thirds winter barley 1 third winter oats, this year being an anomaly as we have spring oats and barley in due to not being able to sow last back end but as my pictures in other threads have shown it dont look great.

To cut to the chase how worried should we be about take all and is latitude a good safeguard or is later sowing a better option?
If your in a barley barley oats then barley barley oats then I wouldn’t worry at all. Lime P and K are even more important. I’ve found slurry a serious advantage when in a bad slot also and I know a few more that have said the same. If I was chancing barley in a poor slot I’d go latitude alright

If your in a barley barley oats then barley barley oats then I wouldn’t worry at all. Lime P and K are even more important. I’ve found slurry a serious advantage when in a bad slot also and I know a few more that have said the same. If I was chancing barley in a poor slot I’d go latitude alright
Thanks @Blackwater boy , that's good to know, am I right in saying the winter barley in the third spot after oats would be high risk then?

if it's grain for feed and straw you're after...would peas and spring barley (either sown separately or together) for the combine sort you out jay? maybe one year in five even would stretch it out for you?

if it's grain for feed and straw you're after...would peas and spring barley (either sown separately or together) for the combine sort you out jay? maybe one year in five even would stretch it out for you?
Spring barley will have to be in there in a 4th slot some of the time anyway @Ugo Schtiglitz .
No experience of peas but it could be an option if the combining of them isn't too problematic. Have you been experimenting with them as a companion crop?

Or spring barley for a year or 2.
Spring oats 1 in 3 is ok but wild oats go out of all order, I would not go less than 4 if I had a choice and if winter oats yes it’s very high risk mosaic territory

Very helpful, that is what I had in mind for my own praire here :Thumbp2:

Spring barley will have to be in there in a 4th slot some of the time anyway @Ugo Schtiglitz .
No experience of peas but it could be an option if the combining of them isn't too problematic. Have you been experimenting with them as a companion crop?

Yeah experimenting away with it. Just thinking if you're growing your own feed might be worth a shot.
still have straw and increase protein value of your feed.

Back