Spring Barley - General Thread

my man who walks crops says when buying roundup now you have to state it's for stubble's and not to bring a crop in. Spring barley around here has got so much secondary growth in it I think a lot of crops will be sprayed off.

Any combine operators tell me if this is going to break my heart ?
Doesn't look bad, worst thing with a lot of grass is getting is to flow along the auger and through the drum, It can help carry some grain out the back by overloading the concave.

my man who walks crops says when buying roundup now you have to state it's for stubble's and not to bring a crop in. Spring barley around here has got so much secondary growth in it I think a lot of crops will be sprayed off.
036E4CB3-2269-45FE-9F20-9C89ECC9595B.png
If he is correct that’s news to me that it has lost its label for desiccation or problematic weed control pre harvest, I don’t agree with the process but needs must in certain circumstances such as your issue.

A fellow from the Dep of Agri told me that it was ok to spray a crop pre harvest with Roundup provided it was to kill weeds but it wasn’t ok to spray it to ripen the crop. Which is totally ridiculous.

I wouldn’t beat myself up about pre harvest glyphosate, if the rules say that it’s to kill weeds in the crop then you have weeds.
It’s better to have silly sounding rules which allow its use rather than rules that completely prevent its use.

Im not a fan of blanket use of glyphosate on cereals to make harvesting a bit easier in a normal year but if one has a particular problem to deal with like this year then drive on.
As for spraying it on grass and then cutting or grazing the grass, I think that is ridiculous even if it is legal.

A good day with a bit of sun on it and it will rifle through it, just a bit of patience needed that's all.

I'd be wary of crop loss by doing pre harvest Roundup'ing. Have been warned about it on here and elsewhere in the past.
I have pre harvested barley in the past and didn’t like the way that made it brackle more, I wouldn’t be in a hurry to do it again.
However, it is a great way to get the best kill of scutch if you have it in a crop.

I have pre harvested barley in the past and didn’t like the way that made it brackle more, I wouldn’t be in a hurry to do it again.
However, it is a great way to get the best kill of scutch if you have it in a crop.
I have only ever done it to deal with bad scutch grass in the slot before beet and it is effective. But with our weather down here it is high risk.

Last time I escaped with the skin of my teeth, it bulled rained when the lads were bringing the combine and header home :scared:

20200726_153601.jpg

This wouldn't want to see a whole lot of rain tonight or too many crows :no:

Pleasantly surprised, bit too much green spots with rock through it and way too many volunteer oats :no:

Any lads that rogue spring barley, no harm going through it again. I'm after spending a few hours today going through areas that got Axial and got a good bit of canary grass.

Any lads that rogue spring barley, no harm going through it again. I'm after spending a few hours today going through areas that got Axial and got a good bit of canary grass.
Did you put the Axial in with the weed spray? All clean here in Axial treated fields that I walked last week.

What rate of Axial did you use? I find it does an excellent (Although expensive) job. I use it at the T1 timing too.

Last time I escaped with the skin of my teeth, it bulled rained when the lads were bringing the combine and header home :scared:

View attachment 80811

This wouldn't want to see a whole lot of rain tonight or too many crows :no:

Pleasantly surprised, bit too much green spots with rock through it and way too many volunteer oats :no:
That looks very good

What rate of Axial did you use? I find it does an excellent (Although expensive) job. I use it at the T1 timing too.

0.7l to the hectare from memory. It may be just that the sprayer was getting empty on that headland (I hope)

Thought i'd take a pic of the barley here at home tonight cause it'll probably be flat after tomorrow!!! For a patch that looked truly awful after it came up it made a remarkable recovery once it got going, don't know the variety as the seed was off next door.
IMG_2069.JPG IMG_2071.JPG IMG_2072.JPG IMG_2073.JPG

I must say I was up around Enniscorthy direction today and I thought some of the SB fields around home here had plenty of green bits but It's nothing like up there and I expect much much worse further north as already mentioned on here. Today's drive was fairly stark to be honest

I must say I was up around Enniscorthy direction today and I thought some of the SB fields around home here had plenty of green bits but It's nothing like up there and I expect much much worse further north as already mentioned on here. Today's drive was fairly stark to be honest
Our own is not the worst but some crops around us are showing no signs of ripening in the green bits yet anyway. No panic yet as its early still but worrying nonetheless

I noticed a few fields fairly bad between Enniscorthy and Bunclody the other day, that said their probably no worse than any other fields around the country it's just that you'd be looking down on them from that road and the greenery is easily seen.

Back