Busy Tillage

Giving away margin unnecessarily is bad for business and yes, Image is very important.

However, I don't think one can generalise here. Yes, some buyers are only concerned about buying cheap and competing at the bottom of the market.

Other buyers are willing to pay that bit more so that they can extract more from their market using the image which they work to build (because the traceability/environmental effort etc required for the image doesn't come for free).

I am not going down the road of naming companies here but I know companies buying grain in Ireland in both of the above categories.

Please dont name anyone, I can think of a few in both categories. Would you be able to say what % premium on price the carbon aware company are offering over a standard company.

I would be afraid to hazard a guess of how much of Irelands grain is been bought by carbon aware companies? Single digits I would think.

I also dont see paying a higher price, as you do, in giving away margin. They can extract a higher price from their end product due to targeting environmental aware customers.

Please dont name anyone, I can think of a few in both categories. Would you be able to say what % premium on price the carbon aware company are offering over a standard company.

I would be afraid to hazard a guess of how much of Irelands grain is been bought by carbon aware companies? Single digits I would think.

I also dont see paying a higher price, as you do, in giving away margin. They can extract a higher price from their end product due to targeting environmental aware customers.

But you said that eeking out extra from any of these companies was next to impossible in your other post? now you say that you know some in both categories?

I would estimate the extra to be in the region of 10-15%.

In terms of the proportion of Irish grain bought by carbon aware companies? I would say it would be a bit more than single digits - you are looking at the international companies for this approach but it will probably be adopted by Irish buyers in time.

But you said that eeking out extra from any of these companies was next to impossible in your other post? now you say that you know some in both categories?

I would estimate the extra to be in the region of 10-15%.

In terms of the proportion of Irish grain bought by carbon aware companies? I would say it would be a bit more than single digits - you are looking at the international companies for this approach but it will probably be adopted by Irish buyers in time.

The couple I would be thinking off wouldnt be taking guessing under 5% of the market. So really not worth talking about.

If an end user is mixing the grains with imported normal grains, it would be fair to say they only buy on price and using the inflated Irish product for marketing reasons alone.

It's super to hear that suppliers are able to get up to €20 extra per ton, for like for like grain that could otherwise be purchased for dockside, just for environmental reasons. There has been talk in the past 6 months or so of similar, but i havnt heard much since

I assume premiums etc for malt/dist/porridge/milling are on top of this payment?

Their Dried barley price last Friday was the highest in a long time.

Glanbia dried grain prices for November 2020 at 24.07.20: Dried Wheat @ €190/t; Dried Barley @ €171/t. Contact a business manager before 5pm today to forward sell. Above prices do not include any potential payments from Glanbia Co-op to co-op members.

It's easy know it's the beginning of harvest when you see the tillage sector receiving lots of attention in the media. RTÉ had their annual piece this evening. Lots of reports unveiled on the importance of the tillage sector to the economy etc.
It's nice to see but it lead to some real action to address some of the imbalances hindering the sector or will it all fizzle out as the novelty of a new harvest fades away?

It's easy know it's the beginning of harvest when you see the tillage sector receiving lots of attention in the media. RTÉ had their annual piece this evening. Lots of reports unveiled on the importance of the tillage sector to the economy etc.
It's nice to see but it lead to some real action to address some of the imbalances hindering the sector or will it all fizzle out as the novelty of a new harvest fades away?
ye'll be fine lads, according to the piece ye are the second most profitable ag enterprise, just supply grain to the beef sector to help prop them up and all will be grand.:scratchhead:

I think we need to join the cynical club :lol: a nice jaunt out for RTE to look at shiny metal.

All we have to do is look at our national advisory service yet again advocating PKE and then beet pulp during the recent drought.

Two of the largest coops (which should be looking at image and less reliance on imports) would not be servicing their tillage customers well as evidenced above. Ah sure we'll cover up a poor price with a coop topup which is really your own money.:rolleyes2:

Long time before we will see joined up thinking in this country!

The cynicism & defeatism in this thread is heart warming....:woot:

At least there are groups like TII, Tillage stakeholders, IGG, IFA making an effort to create change. Many of these people are doing this work on a completely voluntary basis.

The cynicism & defeatism in this thread is heart warming....:woot:

At least there are groups like TII, Tillage stakeholders, IGG, IFA making an effort to create change. Many of these people are doing this work on a completely voluntary basis.

There needs to be a serious amount of pressure put on the likes of the distilling industry to use native grains if they’re going to produce under the ‘Irish’ label.

For produce that is claiming some local (or national) provenance in France, there’s some severe specs to be met about local and national products used....eg Comté cheese producers must use a special locally produced hay etc etc.
This pays handsomely for all involved and the use of local produce adds a certain exclusivity to the goods. Win win.

There needs to be a serious amount of pressure put on the likes of the distilling industry to use native grains if they’re going to produce under the ‘Irish’ label.

For produce that is claiming some local (or national) provenance in France, there’s some severe specs to be met about local and national products used....eg Comté cheese producers must use a special locally produced hay etc etc.
This pays handsomely for all involved and the use of local produce adds a certain exclusivity to the goods. Win win.

Whilst over here a certain "Irish Cream Liquor" must be made from Irish milk but it doesn't matter where the grain comes from.

Not taking from any of the hard work done by these groups but until Bord Bia starts to make the use of native grain mandatory in their Quality Assurance and Origin Green labels any real progress will be limited.

We have extremely low standards for stuff like this here.

The guaranteed irish symbol of old was a joke. I remember when Irish sugar were still using it because they bagged the sugar in Ireland, or the ham still on shelves the time of the dioxin problem.

All these things are for the food processing industry, not the primary producers

When malting barley doesn’t meet the spec does that mean it can’t be used for malting under any circumstances or is it that it’s more expensive/time consuming for the processor and easier to import in-spec grain ?

Jameson french whiskey produced by French Distillers Limited (FDL) in Middleton, use a small % of Irish distilling barley to produce their French whiskey. Dont know how they get away with it. :scratchhead:

When malting barley doesn’t meet the spec does that mean it can’t be used for malting under any circumstances or is it that it’s more expensive/time consuming for the processor and easier to import in-spec grain ?
It fails to meet to spec at the weighbride at harvest so the end user never has that issue, the farmer suffers as it’s failed. I’d imagine MCI and boortmalt contract to growers a nice bit more than they need to allow for losses and possible allways have a carryover in stock also, there may be some imported in certain years but I’m not sure if this

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/medi...es/drinks/IrishWhiskeyTechnicalFile141119.pdf

There needs to be a few amendments to this document. Page 8 paragraph 4.2.3 says maize can be used in the mash (of other ingredients) and needs to say only Irish grains can be used.

Thanks for the spec sheet needed for calling something "Irish whiskey". To use the term "irish" in other products, is asimilar level of irish input of 30% all that is needed.

Growers could do worse than raise this matter with their TD

Jameson french whiskey produced by French Distillers Limited (FDL) in Middleton, use a small % of Irish distilling barley to produce their French whiskey. Dont know how they get away with it. :scratchhead:
Know they bought an amount of barley, 3,000t from a South East buyer last year just to prove they bought some.

Know they bought an amount of barley, 3,000t from a South East buyer last year just to prove they bought some.
They are buying a lot more than 3K tonnes per year in the south, not sure of the total tho, this harvest they have a premium on it, €15/T over feed barley price.

They are buying a lot more than 3K tonnes per year in the south, not sure of the total tho, this harvest they have a premium on it, €15/T over feed barley price.

I taught they were talking about paying an environmental payment? €15 a ton would be the payment just for the higher spec over feed

Back