Busy Tillage

That unmalted barley is used only in their high value pot still whiskeys, it's not used in their blended whiskey which is by far their biggest seller.

The cynicism & defeatism in this thread is heart warming....:woot:

At least there are groups like TII, Tillage stakeholders, IGG, IFA making an effort to create change. Many of these people are doing this work on a completely voluntary basis.

I'm sorry for the cynicism on my part Cork but we have been there done that already as highlighted by several posts above, as tillage farmers we have to jump through several hoops but when it comes to the next stage there seems to be so little questions and much more bending of the rules with loose interpretations that it is quite frankly embarrassing.

I don't doubt for a minute all the good work that those you mention do but It's being undermined by others. Unfortunately our coops have a lot to answer for in my view with many private companies leading the way,.look at Flahavans on the oats side and Quinn's with beans and soya for example.

Jameson french whiskey produced by French Distillers Limited (FDL) in Middleton, use a small % of Irish distilling barley to produce their French whiskey. Dont know how they get away with it. :scratchhead:
I was in Paris with my little girl at a showjumping thing and I got talking to a lady that was part of putting the deal with Pernod together at the time.
Amazing story.

I'm sorry for the cynicism on my part Cork but we have been there done that already as highlighted by several posts above, as tillage farmers we have to jump through several hoops but when it comes to the next stage there seems to be so little questions and much more bending of the rules with loose interpretations that it is quite frankly embarrassing.

I don't doubt for a minute all the good work that those you mention do but It's being undermined by others. Unfortunately our coops have a lot to answer for in my view with many private companies leading the way,.look at Flahavans on the oats side and Quinn's with beans and soya for example.
Quinn’s are trying soya?
How’s that going?

Is soya grown around you in France J?
Yes.
Grew it myself for a few years also with yields around 2.5-3.5 t/ha.

We gave up on it when we discovered high protein cover/cash crops.
It’s a very thirsty crop. Loves the heat also, but 6x35mm passes of water makes it hassle compared to other crops.
It’s not possible for European farmers to compete against gmo soya from the Americas...

Hello all ,ive just joined this forum and having read this thread from the start it seems to me that four years later we are really no further on regarding the acre / income for our labour .
Cork is of course correct we dont spend many hours working per acre but with current feed barley prices and some very old fashioned yields this year we are on a hiding to nothing .
Even with a lot of straw getting wetter by the day still on the ground waiting for a dry day or week at this stage its hard to get a 20 euro note for good dry barley straw .
Grain growing is turning into an expensive hobby and with american bumper maize yields becoming a regular occourence feed barley is always going to be under pressure. Anyone got any ideas on how we reduce our spend on crop inputs without losing too much yield ?? Ah well theres always next year .

Hello all ,ive just joined this forum and having read this thread from the start it seems to me that four years later we are really no further on regarding the acre / income for our labour .
Cork is of course correct we dont spend many hours working per acre but with current feed barley prices and some very old fashioned yields this year we are on a hiding to nothing .
Even with a lot of straw getting wetter by the day still on the ground waiting for a dry day or week at this stage its hard to get a 20 euro note for good dry barley straw .
Grain growing is turning into an expensive hobby and with american bumper maize yields becoming a regular occourence feed barley is always going to be under pressure. Anyone got any ideas on how we reduce our spend on crop inputs without losing too much yield ?? Ah well theres always next year .
Take in sludge, have all your fertiliser and ploughing for free, that’s one method, consequences include falling out with all your neighbours over the smell

Take in sludge, have all your fertiliser and ploughing for free, that’s one method, consequences include falling out with all your neighbours over the smell

great post and maybe worthy of a thread by itself.

was asked €250ac for land that I've had for last 20yrs by auctioneer for tillage what da hell crazy
I said no fxxking way
Would i better off to set entitlements and forget about it opions please

was asked €250ac for land that I've had for last 20yrs by auctioneer for tillage what da hell crazy
I said no fxxking way
Maybe they've got wind of the €310 an acre lads are willing to pay around me. Actually impossible to expand as a young farmer here. 1t of grain should pay the rent on land, when you have to give 2t to rent it you will either be working on a very fine margin or a loss, my opinion at least.

I said no fxxking way
Is that a big increase on what you were giving the last few years? I would imagine most good tillage land was making 200 euro or thereabouts last few years anyways.

Taking spring barley as an example
€230 for inputs approximately
€150 for machinery approximately
€200 for land as mentioned above
Total €580

3 ton of malt at €170= €510
Straw excluding bailing €60/ac
Total €570.

Am I the only one that cant understand current rental prices or am I missing something?

€180ac but some heavy land and some rocky land on that
That's almost a 40% increase he is looking for so, not simple.
I think by leasing the entitlements you will get between 50 and 60% of their market value depending on what the value the entitlements themselves are so that might not be a bad option if you decide to give up the ground. Bottom line is that leasing of land is a lucrative business for the owners only at present, not a lot to be made from it for tillage, beef or sheep men. And of course the dairy men can make it work.

I said no fxxking way
Set your entitlements otherwise your spending money to work instead of making it. Land rental is nuts.

Reactions: 007
Taking spring barley as an example
€230 for inputs approximately
€150 for machinery approximately
€200 for land as mentioned above
Total €580

3 ton of malt at €170= €510
Straw excluding bailing €60/ac
Total €570.

Am I the only one that cant understand current rental prices or am I missing something?
+ that BIG cheque that comes from Brussels every year without fail so far.........

It’s hard to expect for the foreseeable future that land rents for tillage land will ever fall to realistic values of say €100 an acre, I’d suspect €200 an acre to be far more common. Too many influences that have feic all to do with the price of grain are driving it. I’ve no solution it just a statement of fact and it’s only worse it will get.

Back