Factory Prices General thread

Yeah, but that's your choice ozzy.
No one is forcing you to rent it.
You can't blame anyone for working the system.
I agree, but its was much easier for the lad finishing up the game than the poor lad starting out. Most of the land I leased in the reference period was sold in the following years. I had to sell some of the low value entitlements as couldnt find naked acres, in turn started renting other acres from people retiring, but also having to lease the entitlements.

The EU will have to act quickly, 8% of total farmers are now under 40yrs of age. I cant see how anyone could convince Joe public that the EU is still paying a farmer that hasnt farmed in 18 yrs.

I would love to see CAP payments scrapped and sink or swim approach

I agree, but its was much easier for the lad finishing up the game than the poor lad starting out. Most of the land I leased in the reference period was sold in the following years. I had to sell some of the low value entitlements as couldnt find naked acres, in turn started renting other acres from people retiring, but also having to lease the entitlements.

The EU will have to act quickly, 8% of total farmers are now under 40yrs of age. I cant see how anyone could convince Joe public that the EU is still paying a farmer that hasnt farmed in 18 yrs.

I would love to see CAP payments scrapped and sink or swim approach

Hence the crux of the problem, the definition of the
"active farmer"
I'm all for the sink or swim
No matter what system of payment are devised, there'll always be winners and losers.

Hence the crux of the problem, the definition of the
"active farmer"
I'm all for the sink or swim
No matter what system of payment are devised, there'll always be winners and losers.
The only fair solution is to give everyone zero.

The only fair solution is to give everyone zero.
How would you like to see CAP money used, just scrap CAP all together or repurpose the funds? I can't come up with a fair way of doing it either, you always end up just rewarding ownership of land or else subsidising production which in itself destroys any hope of a functioning market.

@Ozzy Scott @6600

How would you like to see CAP money used, just scrap CAP all together or repurpose the funds? I can't come up with a fair way of doing it either, you always end up just rewarding ownership of land or else subsidising production which in itself destroys any hope of a functioning market.

@Ozzy Scott @6600
The CAP money should be given to farmers for rewilding the countryside. Cattle are produced at a loss and milking cows are polluting the environment after being raped and their offspring are trundled through markets and are then stuffed full of harmful chemicals to produce meat which is bad for human health.. Because of less animals the feed grain market would shrink and tillage farms would be rewilded .
With all the surplus low profit production removed from the market the remaining profitable farms would not need subsidies and could diversify into Vegetable production. . Commodity price rises would be absorbed up along the food chain and the consumer would not suffer significant price rises .
. Public Money should be used for public good not to build empires for chemical companies at one end and food conglomerates at the other. At the moment the primary producer has a low income and the consumer has a polluted countryside and low nutrition food which results in an unhealthy population that need a huge health care system to keep them unhealthy and alive and consuming what the food industry produces. Healthier food and environment would lead to lower healthcare costs . Every village has at least two pharmacies and a medical center and queues into regional hospitals as a result of the present subsidy’s to unhealthy food.

The CAP money should be given to farmers for rewilding the countryside. Cattle are produced at a loss and milking cows are polluting the environment after being raped and their offspring are trundled through markets and are then stuffed full of harmful chemicals to produce meat which is bad for human health.. Because of less animals the feed grain market would shrink and tillage farms would be rewilded .
With all the surplus low profit production removed from the market the remaining profitable farms would not need subsidies and could diversify into Vegetable production. . Commodity price rises would be absorbed up along the food chain and the consumer would not suffer significant price rises .
. Public Money should be used for public good not to build empires for chemical companies at one end and food conglomerates at the other. At the moment the primary producer has a low income and the consumer has a polluted countryside and low nutrition food which results in an unhealthy population that need a huge health care system to keep them unhealthy and alive and consuming what the food industry produces. Healthier food and environment would lead to lower healthcare costs . Every village has at least two pharmacies and a medical center and queues into regional hospitals as a result of the present subsidy’s to unhealthy food.

Have the Green's hacked your account :scratchhead::laugh:

Have the Green's hacked your account :scratchhead::laugh:

I was wondering as much :rolleyes2:

I think subsidies are quite like a phrase I once heard used to describe the USA. A good concept that has got out of hand.

The purpose of subsidies at inception was two fold. Help with food security for a starving European population in the aftermath of WW2, and absorb price shocks in the market to Insulate the farmer.

These days, the market has seemed to settle a bit more, less ups and downs (arguably more downs). Thanks to modern farming techniques, there is an abundance of food.

Subsidies now have got to the stage where goodman not only dictates beef price, but he has a large enough supply of his own to regulate the market to his liking, and picks up the largest subsidies of any farmer in Ireland.

At the other end of the scale, there is the armchair farmer as he is referred to on here, who farms mainly to collect the subsidies.

We've gone too far down the route of subsidies to get rid of them completely and all of a shot. The idea would he that if the subsidies were removed, the price of our product would increase to a level where our income would be the same as that of when we were getting the subsidies... Fat chance of that happening.

As bogman has suggested (albeit maybe sarcastically), id say in the next few years there will be a move towards subsidies being paid on environmental impact rather than production, as has been touted as the replacement for CAP in the UK Post brexit (if it ever happens)

@Ozzy Scott @6600
Scrapped altogether, the farmer has long since ceased to be the one getting the benefit.

it wont be scrapped as too many others benefiting...support the active farmer would be a start and cap it above 20 odd k or have it at a much lower level above this figure. more support for the young fella to get going too. farmers who are at sustainable nitrate levels should get looked after better with a premium for their produce too but dont see it happening too soon

I find it hilarious when farmers suggest scrapping subsidies completely.
Whether you like it or not Irish beef price is well above world price as it is and at the higher of average eu price most of the time.
We simply cannot produce beef profitably here.we have small scale and high first world costs.
This will never change. Governments want cheap food to stem inflation. They don't care about farmers

I find it hilarious when farmers suggest scrapping subsidies completely.
Whether you like it or not Irish beef price is well above world price as it is and at the higher of average eu price most of the time.
We simply cannot produce beef profitably here.we have small scale and high first world costs.
This will never change. Governments want cheap food to stem inflation. They don't care about farmers

I would happily see subs go as all they are is a payment for landownership. they are inflating the price of land for rent and for sale. I cant see how anyone would equate removal of subsidies and an increase in beef price. It would probably remove allot of farmers from the system that are just there because of the subsidies and maybe stifiling fresh blood coming into the industry

on topic, they are back booking a week in advance locally, so must be going to chance some trick?

Any idea what's driving this or is it an unexpected drop?

I read reports on agriland or one of those sites yesterday that prices for heavy cattle in the marts dropped over the last week too - they said that it was driven by by a fall in demand from northern buyers. But saying that I get an email from LSL every friday summarising the online mart prices for the previous week and lighter store cattle appear to have gone up in price if anything - certainly suckler continentals have gone up in price.

As @jf 850 points out, I assume its due to more cattle coming out because of age. The wet weather in the last few weeks can't have been doing a whole lot for it either.

They are struggling to find cattle, they hope people will panic sell.

They got them easy enough last week. There was actually talks of 5 cent more next week but that has gone now. The wetter weather and as jf850 says above 30 months cattle.

Back