Spring Barley - General Thread

I didn’t think the drought affected us that much :scratchhead:

Attachments

• 0A1702B7-3F69-4CE0-9C50-A02672933FB9.jpeg
    0A1702B7-3F69-4CE0-9C50-A02672933FB9.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 99
Hard to know how this year is going. All my spring barley is white label seed. Lots of second growth in it. Not the worst by any means I have seen around. Half thinking of driving the tractor down the tramlines with to flatten down the greens on the tramlines which would be the worse and hope the ripe grain will be dry enough to allow for the few green

Hard to know how this year is going. All my spring barley is white label seed. Lots of second growth in it. Not the worst by any means I have seen around. Half thinking of driving the tractor down the tramlines with to flatten down the greens on the tramlines which would be the worse and hope the ripe grain will be dry enough to allow for the few green
A lot thinking of doing the same especially for malt or seed crops

We have done it here for malting barley. Pull the head trolley to the field with the tractor with the row crops and drive the field the same route as when spraying to get maximum effect.
I'll definitely be doing it again this year.

We have done it here for malting barley. Pull the head trolley to the field with the tractor with the row crops and drive the field the same route as when spraying to get maximum effect.
I'll definitely be doing it again this year.

I only have the one tractor and ain’t putting row crops back on. My tractor only has 520s on the back so won’t be overly wide anyway.

Its early to be thinking that way yet, they could burn in very quickly with a bit of heat at the end of the week. Driving them down will lead to all sorts of issues with turning straw and ploughing next year too.

Me and my little 12m tramlines, obviously it's a bigger deal!!

I only have the one tractor and ain’t putting row crops back on. My tractor only has 520s on the back so won’t be overly wide anyway.
Whatever suits you. Its 650s on every other tractor here and that's too wide for my liking.
The neighbours already think I'm half cracked driving through the crop before the combine.

Are there any noticeable differences depending on the width of the Tyre in comparison with the number of rows cut off?

Thinking of changing spraying tractor and original thought was moving from a 12.4 to a 13.6 (which would be tight) and this year is giving me second thoughts!!

Its early to be thinking that way yet, they could burn in very quickly with a bit of heat at the end of the week. Driving them down will lead to all sorts of issues with turning straw and ploughing next year too.

Me and my little 12m tramlines, obviously it's a bigger deal!!
I'd say there will be barley cut by the weekend around here if a few decent days came.

Are there any noticeable differences depending on the width of the Tyre in comparison with the number of rows cut off?

Thinking of changing spraying tractor and original thought was moving from a 12.4 to a 13.6 (which would be tight) and this year is giving me second thoughts!!
Much depends on the row spacing of the corn. You're only going up just over an inch in width so at worst you will take out an extra row each side.

Last year I was gone On a weekend away and the father did the t2 with the 6495.... 600’s on the front, 710’s on the back

Anyone spray anything off yet ? I’m seriously considering spraying my first bit off this evening

I’d be surprised if you had any that was ready to burn off?

I don’t know of any of ours that is fit to burn off and I think we are in an earlier part of the country?
Ours would have been sown in the last days of March to the first week of April.

It’s a bit burnt looking here. Grain fill looks excellent but the fields look a bit “awny “ if you know what I mean?
Indeed, it's mostly awns we can see here from the gate, maybe I'm just lowering my expectations after the excellent WB. Mostly awns where the regrowth patches are, I may wade into it tomorrow for a proper look to see what the heads look like. I might even be pleasantly surprised. :unsure:

Back