Winter Oats 2020

Not fire related as such (but perhaps could lead to one).

A farmer I know was tedding up some headlands of barley straw last year when he was quite distracted by an Eastern European woman gardening in a neighboring house. Despite having to tolerate the lack of a/c in his Ford 7000, he gave the straw so many runs of the tedder beside the house that it ended up so brussy that the baler could hardly pick it up.

A farmer I know was tedding up some headlands of barley straw last year when he was quite distracted by an Eastern European woman gardening in a neighboring house. Despite having to tolerate the lack of a/c in his Ford 7000, he gave the straw so many runs of the tedder beside the house that it ended up so brussy that the baler could hardly pick it up.

I heard it was a 4000 :whistle:

It’s a popular field.....!!!

The opportunity to bale before the rain could have been missed on purpose....
You don’t need to talk about yourself in 3rd person We’re all friends here till it’s land

I was cutting one day and a car was being washed and let’s just say that I had to keep working across the field but Impressionable young chaser driver wore out tramline

A house upwind of a field I was cutting in on Sunday had a small garden fire going. It's not easy relax on a combine with smoke in your nostrils.
Bloody hate things like that , happens on the road moving some times to , I have often stopped and got down for a look as I have had close calls over the years both on the road and in fields !!

Had you to give long sitting in the tractor, before you were able to get out

Bloody hate things like that , happens on the road moving some times to , I have often stopped and got down for a look as I have had close calls over the years both on the road and in fields !!

Motorway stop at Cashel on Monday: Our friends that travel with a good big fire going. Cracking ripe field of oats on one side. Petrol station on the other.

On the subject of oat mosaic virus,one of the slots in rotation here will be either winter oats or wosr. Will using oats as a cover crop ahead of spring beans cause issues for the winter oat crop?
Example rotation would be
Beans/WW/WB/WO or WOSR/WW
Cover crop sown after winter wheat before spring beans. Spring Bean establishment may be strip till

Cover crop sure :yes:

Any early reports on oats yet folks?

A lot of it ready for the knife around here if it took up for a few days.

I think ours is doing around 2.8 tonne /acre at 17% . The last field looked to be better but some resown with spring oats and a load not delivered , The green straw is carrying out some grain and once the life goes out of the straw it chokes the neck chain , We were stopped at 7.30 on Tuesday evening . Its not often you get three tonne of Oats in the bucket of the Volvo or 31.5 tonne on an artic .

Oat straw is hard to save and takes away a lot of Potash . I have half my winter wheat area with a cover crop and in reality it just needs to be sprayed off and I could sow without much further work.

Finished the Winter edition of the Oats and have plots of Spring sown Oats to harvest when the green goes out of them .. Patted down the combine to see if anything was hot that should not be and found the main drive belt missing one of its V belts .
View attachment 80990 View attachment 80991 View attachment 80993 View attachment 80994

Your spring oats are way ahead of mine here! I'm wondering after this evening will they even be ripe before the adjoining spring barley.

Back