Ploughing

rodders

Ploughing a 4 acre field, it’s roughly 200x80 meters there’s a slope in the field falling the 80 meters. Am I better to plough down the slope or across it?

What way are you going to work thr field. If you were mowing it or spreading fertilser what direction would you be going. That’s the way I would be going.
Neighbour here has a 4acre field longer and narrower than the op
Not used to red sandstone he ploughed it long ways then dressed it long ways bar 1 run of the kkk

It's the roughest field you ever driven on

Why was that?
Why did he cross it?
Throwback from when he farmed with his dad on heavy ground and could travel anyway on a seedbad

I can feel every wheel mark going down the field,it wont be in grass for long as he cant stand it either

Why did he cross it?
Throwback from when he farmed with his dad on heavy ground and could travel anyway on a seedbad

I can feel every wheel mark going down the field,it wont be in grass for long as he cant stand it either
if we cross the ploughing with anything. would start with a slight angle and only follow by a very slightly different angle. we would always finish the job in the direction we want to work the field after

if we cross the ploughing with anything. would start with a slight angle and only follow by a very slightly different angle. we would always finish the job in the direction we want to work the field after
and me,tho never any real need to cross the field by that much

I reckon when a field is ploughed the only way to level it is some form of a harrow after 2 runs of the leveler its seems near impossible to level them with just the leveler I find neway...

I reckon when a field is ploughed the only way to level it is some form of a harrow after 2 runs of the leveler its seems near impossible to level them with just the leveler I find neway...

Is the ploughing really that rough!!?

I've 3 acres sprayed off and planning to plough it with 3 furrow fiskars once the weather allows. It's triangular shape and is on a hill with a farm road up one side.
I've no ploughing experience so any tips not to fuck it up welcome. :sweat:

I've 3 acres sprayed off and planning to plough it with 3 furrow fiskars once the weather allows. It's triangular shape and is on a hill with a farm road up one side.
I've no ploughing experience so any tips not to fuck it up welcome. :sweat:[/Q]
You’re picking the right field for a first timer, you’d want a seasoned ploughman to get you started, setting up the plough a task in itself.

I've no ploughing experience so any tips not to fuck it up welcome. :sweat:
the trick is not to rush the dressing down
most seem to think a quick run of the powerharrow will do ..............its the invention of the devil for reseeds

the trick is not to rush the dressing down
most seem to think a quick run of the powerharrow will do ..............its the invention of the devil for reseeds
plan will be plough, roll, power harrow lightly and then lightly tine harrow a couple of times if needed before seeding.

Back