The reseeding thread

Doing a bit of reseeding but a bit undecided on what varieties to go with, not overly stocked with drystock, good dry early field that gets cut for 1st cut every second year. thinking of going with one of these.. first choice.....http://goldcrop.ie/product/diamond-hi-digestibility/ second choice...http://goldcrop.ie/product/diamond-hi-density/ and https://germinal.ie/product/top-5-grazing/... anyone got other ideas?

The first mix would be good I reckon.
We have Oakpark in as a monoculture. Got 54 bales from a 6 ac paddock 30 days after last grazing. Quite dense but grazes out well

Sprayed this 6 weeks ago. It never was dry enough to do anything with it, heavy land.
Didn't want to plough it.
Still a bit sticky,
2 runs of the power harrow, lime sow seed ,fertiliser.
If it dries another bit, I will roll.
View attachment 81287

Might be worth ring rolling it and then flat rolling post emergence?

Nice paint job on the Abbey.

On paper the oak park has a palatability issue, would you find the opposite?
I'd find it okay, you'd have to watch it that it doesn't get ahead because its so dense it can be hard clean out.
In a mix I think it would be fine

I have a mono tetraploid in another pddk bred by an irish company that's absolutely atrocious and it's a variety they push alot

Last edited:
Dad rolled behind me again after seed went out. His idea of rolling ahead was to get the seed bed a bit firmer after bring fully with the power harrow.

Abbey?:scratchhead:

I was referring to mixed fleets post not yours! These humid days down here no doubt drove on your seeds, how wet would you consider that field as you say It's the wettest on your farm, did you consider a wetter land mix like some companies do?

I was referring to mixed fleets post not yours! These humid days down here no doubt drove on your seeds, how wet would you consider that field as you say It's the wettest on your farm, did you consider a wetter land mix like some companies do?
Ah yes just coped that :rolleyes2:

It has alot of springs in it that are just hard caught and in a wet winter you usually wouldnt get near it till April if you got a dry stretch of weather
I wouldnt call it wet land, more so wet in comparison to the rest of our land

Went with 9kg abergain and 6kg aberchoice.
No didnt consider a wet land mix, some of those are very dense to try get ground cover but you loose out on palitabily and growth.
I put 2 high sugar grasses in it so that in a wet time they'd go in a put there head down and graze it off instead of walking it down if they didnt like it

20200810_201525.jpg
20200811_190704.jpg
20200812_170422.jpg
20200812_164150.jpg
20200812_164148.jpg
Got my bit sowed this week. The weather was a great help . Real old ley that hadnt been worked in our time. Spray,plough,roll,lime,till,pick few stones,level 3 times,roll,fert,sow,roll. Well worth the work. Put in top5 extend .

What's peoples thoughts on Timothy heavy seed mixes? With clover.
My reading tells me they grow earlier and later in the season. Less so in the middle

I like the sound of that as we have most of the sheep out by the middle of March, and often have too much grass by mid summer.

I've a few acres to seed soon.

My reading tells me they grow earlier and later in the season. Less so in the middle

I like the sound of that as we have most of the sheep out by the middle of March, and often have too much grass by mid summer.

Often see it in heavy land mixes.
Our farm adviser would say that Timothy was unpalatable .

Often see it in heavy land mixes.
Our farm adviser would say that Timothy was unpalatable .

Alright if your making low Me hay,it goes to sticks fast.

What’s everybody paying for seed?

I paid £49/acre

If the guttler works it’ll be my cheapest ever re-seeding.

Glyphosate £5/acre
Lime £10/acre (Was cheap,putting price up in the new year)
Sowing £20 + diesel 3.4 litres/ acre (depends if he came full) :rolleyes2:
Seed £49

Im on very dry land with high rainfall 40", but I wouldnt put in a mix nowadays without Timothy, whenever PRG isnt growing Timothy is, be that over the winter or during drought. it just has the root system, also cocksfoot and fescues have a part to play

Im on very dry land with high rainfall 40", but I wouldnt put in a mix nowadays without Timothy, whenever PRG isnt growing Timothy is, be that over the winter or during drought. it just has the root system, also cocksfoot and fescues have a part to play
We have added back a few old varieties in recent reseeds here too aswell as always having clover in so I'm on board. I'm just wondering about overall yield though, are you willing to accept an overall hit in tonnes/acre compared to what an out and out prg sward could offer?

Does that look like a teachers outfit :scratchhead::no::scratchhead:
Fair play to him, that's a lot of balls to juggle. Has he a woman? Her indoors here cant handle it when I've a bit of part time farm work and an odd football match, I'd love to be going harder at the farm work but it's hard to give everything 100% including babysitting duties.

We have added back a few old varieties in recent reseeds here too aswell as always having clover in so I'm on board. I'm just wondering about overall yield though, are you willing to accept an overall hit in tonnes/acre compared to what an out and out prg sward could offer?
We have very little data on other species. but when PRG decided to shut up shop in the drought in 2018 and then also be a very slow plant to recover from drought it made me wonder. PRG is super if you get the rainfall, apply plenty of NPK and have high stocking rates. if anyone of these is out of kilter, then its not the over all answer. I was cutting grass with some cocksfoot in it the other day, and the sheer volume of it is astounding. Think I have seen trails showing similar yield to PRG, but obvs energy figures lower, but it brings serious fibre to the game.

My view is, in the very near future we wont be able to apply adequate nutrition to PRG to give big yield because of regulation force appon us. I found PRG does poorest, when you apply a half way house of nutrients.

Fair play to him, that's a lot of balls to juggle. Has he a woman? Her indoors here cant handle it when I've a bit of part time farm work and an odd football match, I'd love to be going harder at the farm work but it's hard to give everything 100% including babysitting duties.
If he has a bird she's a quite lass

Back