The reseeding thread

We have very little data on other species. but when PRG decided to shut up shop in the drought in 2018 and then also be a very slow plant to recover from drought it made me wonder. PRG is super if you get the rainfall, apply plenty of NPK and have high stocking rates. if anyone of these is out of kilter, then its not the over all answer. I was cutting grass with some cocksfoot in it the other day, and the sheer volume of it is astounding. Think I have seen trails showing similar yield to PRG, but obvs energy figures lower, but it brings serious fibre to the game.

My view is, in the very near future we wont be able to apply adequate nutrition to PRG to give big yield because of regulation force appon us. I found PRG does poorest, when you apply a half way house of nutrients.
irg is a real intensive grass
prg still likes things to be on its side
CF,timothy etc is and extensive mix,some clover in the bottom and its a good all rounder

I forgot this picture, my lime spreading man. and seeing as there's such an interest in the older Masseys.
Local lad, holds down a full-time job, has a herd of dairy cows ,does a bit of hire work (ploughing) and spreads a good bit of lime in the evenings and weekends. View attachment 81363
He spread a job for me only 2weeks ago,just outside newtown. Would cross paths on a few jobs,his father would of spread lots of it here for ourselves in his day

I'm hoping to do some reseeding shortly and I'm leaning towards direct drilling the field but I have no experience of one in the place nor have I seen any of the neighbours using one. Would it be better to do the usual spray off for 2 weeks or could I spray closer to time of direct drilling? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm hoping to do some reseeding shortly and I'm leaning towards direct drilling the field but I have no experience of one in the place nor have I seen any of the neighbours using one. Would it be better to do the usual spray off for 2 weeks or could I spray closer to time of direct drilling? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be going slightly more based on what I have seen, it needs to be well dead. Be careful of slug activity.

Afaik you could drill it and spray immediately after, it would have your seed in the ground 2 weeks earlier, you would want to be sure of your spraying opportunity though.

We have very little data on other species. but when PRG decided to shut up shop in the drought in 2018 and then also be a very slow plant to recover from drought it made me wonder. PRG is super if you get the rainfall, apply plenty of NPK and have high stocking rates. if anyone of these is out of kilter, then its not the over all answer. I was cutting grass with some cocksfoot in it the other day, and the sheer volume of it is astounding. Think I have seen trails showing similar yield to PRG, but obvs energy figures lower, but it brings serious fibre to the game.

My view is, in the very near future we wont be able to apply adequate nutrition to PRG to give big yield because of regulation force appon us. I found PRG does poorest, when you apply a half way house of nutrients.
I remember when we were advised to spread 10 bags of CAN every year across the farm to get grass to grow. were now at 4 bags and growing even more grass tyhan then.
Unless timothy and cocksfoot have been improved greatly for yeild then I cant see them having a big place in highly stocked farms. there will be more cuts in nitrogen allowance but most of the loss will be made up from different management and fertiliser use. The top guys in nz dont spread nitrogen in the first 20% of the paddock inside the gap because the cows dung the most there. They still get the same yeilds but less nitrogen used

Afaik you could drill it and spray immediately after, it would have your seed in the ground 2 weeks earlier, you would want to be sure of your spraying opportunity though.
Thanks for the reply Arthur. That sounds ideal if I can get it to pan out that way.

Interesting question.
Can those pneumatic fert spreaders with the folding booms spread grass and small seeds like stubble turnips?

Assuming we get better conditions before mid September how well will clover take or is it a waste so late in the year?

I'd be going slightly more based on what I have seen, it needs to be well dead. Be careful of slug activity.
Thanks Nash. I'll definitely be using slug pellets alright. Too risky not to with the weather and time of year.

Twas a good thing we hadn't the seeds sown. Came to have a look see if it could be worked. Maybe come Monday might be able to. Had to dig a shore to let of trapped water
IMG_20200822_112751.jpg

What seeds are you going to sow Monday -rice??
Tis blown a gale here now with sun. Tis drying out nicely again. I was in the field at 8 this morning and when I went back up to let off the water you could see the field drying out.

Tis blown a gale here now with sun. Tis drying out nicely again. I was in the field at 8 this morning and when I went back up to let off the water you could see the field drying out.

You must not have gotten the showers over there today so either....

i stitched a bit of grasseed last saturday, didnt get it rolled but it has rained on it since, the field has a good soil analysis which is why i decided to stitch it.

what is the chances it has survived the gound is soaked now and i asume the rain has covered it with soil. was dont day after second cut, and is a agritech no 4 from last year

i stitched a bit of grasseed last saturday, didnt get it rolled but it has rained on it since, the field has a good soil analysis which is why i decided to stitch it.

what is the chances it has survived the gound is soaked now and i asume the rain has covered it with soil. was dont day after second cut, and is a agritech no 4 from last year
I'd say itll be grand once the ground was well blackened for the seeds

Back