Silage 2020

Would a joskin be ok?
International Harvester had an electrically powered implement system back in the '50s, Electrall.
It's a great idea, I ve seen industrial equipment move from cumbersome hydrostat units to electric drives and converted over some industrial equipment from hydrostatic systems and belt variators to electric with variable frequency drives myself. Much improved reliability and nearly maintenance free , even in very inhospitable conditions.

International Harvester had an electrically powered implement system back in the '50s, Electrall.
It's a great idea, I ve seen industrial equipment move from cumbersome hydrostat units to electric drives and converted over some industrial equipment from hydrostatic systems and belt variators to electric with variable frequency drives myself. Much improved reliability and nearly maintenance free , even in very inhospitable conditions.
I think a combine would be ideal to be powered by electric aside from the drum everything else is low powered and could be varied in speed using electric motors . Even the screens and frogmouths could have those whacker vibrating motors they use in concrete plants .

I remember something very like that in a New Holland brochure from years ago, with an * beside it ,
* not available in UK and Ireland !

Yeah it’s made in France they also do a folding version.
Would this be anyway advantageous instead of a big lump of a swath more prone to the weather? Mind you a lot of what they make silage of in France we class
as toppings.

Heres the yoke to speed ya up...
seem a bit pointless by time you get it on you could have had half the field lifted , and a chopper that size lifting 20ft swaths , only advantage is if you had 1 of those 2 roter rakes that cant quite keep the swath tight enough when there full out . presubably they use them on the continent for crops like alfalfa that there not wanting to mess about with much

Yeah it’s made in France they also do a folding version.
Would this be anyway advantageous instead of a big lump of a swath more prone to the weather? Mind you a lot of what they make silage of in France we class
as toppings.
All contractors in France use the 4.5-5m headers. There are several makes. All of them are built like the proverbial brick sh1thouse and last for decades. They don’t buy any header with a new forager just keep the pickup.
I personally hate them. All the hassle of taking on/off, it’s like messing with a combine. The reason they’re popular is that farmers are too lazy to ted & rake so they just mow and leave to wilt/dry in the swaths.
Another problem with them is that they run on skids which is fine, but if like in Ireland the ground can be tender at harvest, they’d make some mess of the ground.

Horses for course I guess.
I recall our horror of seeing guys using tractors to buckrake from self propelled silage harvesters when I first went to ah college in the Uk in the late 90’s. A Volvo or a Clarke Michigan was surely the only way!

Horses for course I guess.
I recall our horror of seeing guys using tractors to buckrake from self propelled silage harvesters when I first went to ah college in the Uk in the late 90’s. A Volvo or a Clarke Michigan was surely the only way!

I can never understand the hardship of buckraking with the back of a tractor in modern times

I worked for a guy in Crewe who Had a nh fx38 chopping and a fleet of 7840’s carting with these laughably small west trailers (wheelbarrows we used to call them) first time I ever drove a SLE gearbox and I loved them, same guy had a 8340 on duals opened up to near 180 hp with a rear mounted buckrake on the pit, was some weapon but the lad on it was a lunatic so he made it look easy.
Used to work from Crewe down to shropshire border, seen some massive dairy farms.

Last edited:
One of the best non loader machines I’ve seen buckrake silage was a jd6910S on terra tyres a few years ago in the Uk. Contractor affectionately called it ‘The D9’ (plant Guys will get the reference) was a serious machine to bull silage up a pit from a circa 1999 jag860 at the time.

One of the best non loader machines I’ve seen buckrake silage was a jd6910S on terra tyres a few years ago in the Uk. Contractor affectionately called it ‘The D9’ (plant Guys will get the reference) was a serious machine to bull silage up a pit from a circa 1999 jag860 at the time.

It’s the grief of forever looking behind you I don’t get. Makes almond day even harder and somewhere must effect output over forward facing and yet it appears not.

The rig in question had a front home made 3 point linkage based on a LafArge but heavily modified including longer lower links. Was looking in front of him pushing.

Used to push up with my 7530 and 10’ fork,it was 240hp on the shaft and would fly up the clamp,using it on the same clamp with a JCB 416 the JCB would take twice as much in a hit but was half the speed,I’d sooner use a loader because you’ve far more control of where you place the grass.

While it might be well able to push up stuff it wouldn't be great at compaction on terra tyres.

Yeah I know my thoughts as well but most places we were in had a farmer put his own tractor on the pit rolling, even landed at a place one occasion and an old geezer arrived up the pit rolling with a Old type case magnum! 7140 I think it was ??? That thing could pack silage!

honestly would love to get a fendt favorit 900 series with reverse drive for buckraking. be some animal for climbing the pit

Mowed Friday . Picked up on Saturday. Lucky with weather. Quite a bit knocked around here on Saturday . Very heavy rain here 4 to 6 am . Ground sloppy on top.
20200904_124901.jpg
20200905_091453.jpg

Fine pictures.you seem to have got away well and grass looks well considering it would probably be cut earlier only for the weather.

No shortage of grass to knock. Mowed a bit over the border a bit in county Kilkenny yesterday evening. Then back this morning again and mowed a bit around home in county Carlow then around dinner time. Up to county Laois for the afternoon and left there at 7:30 back to Carlow again to finish up the night. Another 70ac third cut to mow tomorrow. Think that’s the bulk of the silage for 2020 then

68ECE4F9-05C9-4CBB-8E40-1FA84A0F7642.jpeg

Back