What are you up to in the workshop?

know what you mean about earth clamps, the mig one has had that much weld put on it when burning of tip dip ect that its twice the size it should be:001_huh:

anyways today we have been making a muck grab, will get some pictures of it tomorrow, so far have got the back made with the brackets welded on, need to weld bushes in and make the top.

dont bother with earth clamps, just strip back 3 inchs and place on the workpiece,then put a hammer on it:001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

dont bother with earth clamps, just strip back 3 inchs and place on the workpiece,then put a hammer on it:001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

I used to have a brass clamp that screwed on but it was heavy enough just to throw down on clean metal ,it dissapeared though ,dont know where it went:001_unsure:

wouldnt think pikeys or they would maybe have taken a bit more ,more chance to have fallen off something when getting moved between farms
no not tried magnetic ,
nor me,but heard good reports
just wrap it in plastic bag:whistling:

Have magnetic clamp, it's good but tends to get furred up with filings off the bench.
Plastic bag might be good!? :whistling:

N

nor me,but heard good reports
just wrap it in plastic bag:whistling:
sure if your going to go that far ya might as well wrap it in a rubber tube, id say the bag would rip when your pullin off the fur.......:whistling:

ok, so an estimate to get these galvanised . . .

22 in total, i reckon they weight 18kgs each . . .

Attachments

• 16022011(002).jpg
    16022011(002).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 16022011(001).jpg
    16022011(001).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 117
ok, so an estimate to get these galvanised . . .

22 in total, i reckon they weight 18kgs each . . .

I think it depends very much on how far away your nearest galvaniser is. Ours is about 50 miles away, and make a minimum charge of £50 for the double collection and delivery. They also charge quite a lot if there's any paint or previous galvanising to strip off, but you look OK on that. From then on it's the cost of zinc, which they get by weighing the bits as bare clean steel, then weighing them again after they come out of the the bath. At a guess, I'd say a total charge for zinc of £100 shouldn't be too far off, but that is a guess, and it's difficult to get any sort of accurate estimate.

Based on €590 per tonne plus VAT at our local man in Tynagh and in the immortal words of the Doc from Back to the future....If my calculations are correct...I reckon about €300 inc VAT if you drop them down yourself.

Met a man from Capptaggle there this morning was going to ask him if he as posting on a forum :lol:

Those magnetic earth clamps are great, couldn't hold a drawing on the board without one:whistling: useless at earthing ott though, for thick work I always just do the mole grip trick far quicker than any wind down type clamps..

Stockholders have played a blinder this week, ordered some 356x171 in 12M lengths, and they sent em out in 16M lengths, So Im now scraping 4M lengths of 356x171....

Instead of 457x191 in 6M lengths they sent me 533x210 in 12M, then phoned me and asked if I could make do:sneaky2:

Those magnetic earth clamps are great, couldn't hold a drawing on the board without one:whistling: useless at earthing ott though, for thick work I always just do the mole grip trick far quicker than any wind down type clamps..

Stockholders have played a blinder this week, ordered some 356x171 in 12M lengths, and they sent em out in 16M lengths, So Im now scraping 4M lengths of 356x171....

Instead of 457x191 in 6M lengths they sent me 533x210 in 12M, then phoned me and asked if I could make do:sneaky2:
:scared::scared::scared:

hey how/whats the best way to bend some rsj
9 ft long and bend it so theres a 6 inch banana belly in it????

Building this hi-tec piece of kit, ain't tried it yet but it should work better than the last design which I can't find...must a went in the scrap.

Last edited:
Back