Silage 2020

Mowed 70ac of 3rd cut today. Not bad for grass only seeded down in April this year. Lovely ground to mow travelling up to speeds of 21km. Averaged 15ac an hour.

84718560-BA85-4E8C-853E-462D11983EE4.jpeg

2FAFE63F-E81B-44C0-BA26-DD020006C2DC.jpeg

looks a beast of a machine right enough its a pity they didnt show it working hard, a tractor half that size could have done that

Possibly but better to have plenty in reserve I say, that's a serious bit of a buck rake, they must have seen an Albutt one time and though..'Hold my beer...' The spot lamps on the posts are a great touch.

The Kverneland s are mowing well

would you have a preference for trailed rear over mounted?

Mowing well. Good strong mower imo. That back mower is on its 7th season. Front is either on its 6th or 5th. Not entirely sure. That outfit mows around 2000ac a year and they still going good.
Much prefer trailed mower. We had a krone and a claas side mounted mower this year but much rather my trailer mower. Just very used to it.

Mowing well. Good strong mower imo. That back mower is on its 7th season. Front is either on its 6th or 5th. Not entirely sure. That outfit mows around 2000ac a year and they still going good.
Much prefer trailed mower. We had a krone and a claas side mounted mower this year but much rather my trailer mower. Just very used to it.
Is the swarther used much? Or is it all raked anyway

Is the swarther used much? Or is it all raked anyway

A few years ago we would have grouped the most of the silage. In the last few years I say it could be back a nice bit but still a lot of farmers who do one cut just group and pick up 20ft. I say I could group 6 or 700ac a year. Also if I was mowing for the rake I would mow 90ft of a headland but group in the last 10ft so when your lifting and dropping the mowers your not dropping them into the headland swath causing lumps for the rake and then the harvester.
D70AA869-49E6-44EE-B93C-19865183C2AA.png

A few years ago we would have grouped the most of the silage. In the last few years I say it could be back a nice bit but still a lot of farmers who do one cut just group and pick up 20ft. I say I could group 6 or 700ac a year. Also if I was mowing for the rake I would mow 90ft of a headland but group in the last 10ft so when your lifting and dropping the mowers your not dropping them into the headland swath causing lumps for the rake and then the harvester.
View attachment 82437
Just curious do lads take the up and down swaths first then finish from the innermost headland out ? I’d imagine doing headlands first your making a balls of the headland swarts doing the straight runs every time you’d cross over. Asking as I’ve never ran a rake, just mown a bit.

Just curious do lads take the up and down swaths first then finish from the innermost headland out ? I’d imagine doing headlands first your making a balls of the headland swarts doing the straight runs every time you’d cross over. Asking as I’ve never ran a rake, just mown a bit.

We always rake headlands first and then up and down. Your only driving over the rows. Won’t mess them up at all.

Serious artillery on the back of the Lambo.
There's a lad a mile away from here with a pair of 6 cyl Lambos of that type and age.

Would it be running on those tyres all the time ?

Think he said they put the wheels on yesterday.she pipes aswell as runs one 5500.was fresh slurry on the back window.they do a world of piping.the deere is on 600s but wouldnt be a patch on the lambo even with her on 600s aswell in damp spots.

Piping slurry must be a great job , for poor ground conditions such as you are enduring there.
Not a concept that has taken on locally.
Mainly , because most people try to return the slurry to the land where the silage was produced to make that slurry .
In my own case only around 1/2 of my 1st cut silage was produced from my own land , and that from the more distant . The rest from rented land , and I am lucky in the regard that the rented land is all within 1 mile of me.
Youd want a long pipe all the same

I'd always be of the opinion that if the ground isn't fit for tankers on low ground pressure tyres and decent tractors it's not fit to be taking the slurry in the first place.
Councils are going around checking septic tanks but giving planning permission for slatted houses where the only place where the slurry can be spread is in swamps and flood plains of the Shannon.

I would be a bit biased on the tank versus pipes though.

Reminds me i as going between Enniskillen
And Ballyshannon last week saw a guy with a TL new Holland on terra tyres mowing with a non conditioner disc mower ‘I’m definitely on Fermanagh’ Was the first thought in my head. :-)

I'd always be of the opinion that if the ground isn't fit for tankers on low ground pressure tyres and decent tractors it's not fit to be taking the slurry in the first place.
Councils are going around checking septic tanks but giving planning permission for slatted houses where the only place where the slurry can be spread is in swamps and flood plains of the Shannon.

I would be a bit biased on the tank versus pipes though.

Your right to a point on it been to wet for slurry but if your garm is well laid out its cheaper to pipe it rather than run big tankers on it.obviosly every farm is suited to pipes.the weight of these riggs , all there doing is compacting the ground .
Also we cant get planning here for new houses because of septic tank issue.
Most of the slurry from all these weanling that are sold in the county and parts of neighbouring counties is piped.
Probaly the best invention since the baler round here

Piping slurry must be a great job , for poor ground conditions such as you are enduring there.
Not a concept that has taken on locally.
Mainly , because most people try to return the slurry to the land where the silage was produced to make that slurry .
In my own case only around 1/2 of my 1st cut silage was produced from my own land , and that from the more distant . The rest from rented land , and I am lucky in the regard that the rented land is all within 1 mile of me.
Youd want a long pipe all the same
A mile wouldnt be a big issue if its fairly flat.just mean 2 sets of pipes and 2 pumping tractors thats all.easier way is few tankers ferrying to the pipes or better still if you can accomodate an artic

See farmer phil on you tube gave us a few dry ones on his video on his pottinger experience with the mowers and big tedder last week in wexford.some weapon of a tedder .myself and their warrenty man was just laughing about it yesterday afternoon.
Not a good job to offend the warrenty man :lol:

See farmer phil on you tube gave us a few dry ones on his video on his pottinger experience with the mowers and big tedder last week in wexford.some weapon of a tedder .myself and their warrenty man was just laughing about it yesterday afternoon.
Not a good job to offend the warrenty man :lol:

Farmer Phil is a social media influence to get to that gig! I need to do Tom Pememberton on it to get a new tractor and mower :lol:

Farmer Phil is a social media influence to get to that gig! I need to do Tom Pememberton on it to get a new tractor and mower :lol:

Hello everybody. I'm Farmer Phil....

Clever individual. Videos could be shortened by half , but not bad otherwise.

Back