Straw Spreaders / Bedders

i changed straight over to a bedder in the same sheds and i,d say i saved 15 to 20% in straw , but the labour it saves and the safety of not getting into a shed full of cattle are the biggest advantages of them, don,t pay any attention to claims of 50% saving in straw from the sellers

@MF30 has one of those i,m fairly certain
Mine is just a standard trailed Lucas Raptor but you'd turn in in a very tight space, PTO turned off of course. Runs on 70HP, saves a nice bit of straw but the time saved is unreal not to mention health and safety issues. Only disadvantage is that shed gutters tend to get some fine straw buildup which may block the outlet. Small price to pay. Great investment considering the price of straw this year.
MF30

Come to think of it. I'm almost sure I saw a spreader on castors rather than wheels somewhere. So 'semi mounted' as it were. Seemed like a good idea.

Think the main complaint with mounted is the swing from them going round corners?

Bit of a tail swing on them alright.

Are you thinking of investing Nash?

I’m in the market for one myself.
Must be mounted with a feeder/chopper drum as well as the blower.
Needs to be able to self load both squares and rounds.
A 360 chute would be nice, but not essential.
Needs to be light enough to be driven by a Landini powerfarm 85.
And finally, no electrics!

Recommendations?

Sorry for the ambiguous post AYF!

Someone asked me about it actually Sheebadog and I had in my mind a 20% saving.

One is on the long finger for here too and a scarce straw year like this concentrates my mind.

My main problem is I'd want one that a 3 cylinder (47hp/64hp) Ford from the 60s/70s could drive but still spread 35ft about 8ft from a barrier and a tight enough yard so I'm asking for a lot of things even before budget is contemplated.

Reactions: AYF

One is on the long finger for here too and a scarce straw year like this concentrates my mind.

My main problem is I'd want one that a 3 cylinder (47hp/64hp) Ford from the 60s/70s could drive but still spread 35ft about 8ft from a barrier and a tight enough yard so I'm asking for a lot of things even before budget is contemplated.

35ft-45ft should be no bother to most of them. Look for one with on board hydraulics maybe.
Few early kuhn's to be avoided for that distance. @Big Vern can vouch for that.

Tbh. The savings purely on the price of straw will be hard justified. The time and minimal effort is the main thing.
Ok you can say that the hour saved doesn't pay the bill. But it's a hard hour physically

Would you not be better off using the landini on it and give yourself more options machine wise? 64 hp is still light enough for powering anything with a flywheel imo and in my experience it's better to modify sheds on the first day rather than end up with the wrong machine. The 265 used to work the Keenan 80 feeder no bother but she would struggle with the Keenan 100. The 399 is well fit for her though. I reckon if I had to drive the feeder with the 265 I'd be doing work to the engine by now.

Would you not be better off using the landini on it and give yourself more options machine wise? 64 hp is still light enough for powering anything with a flywheel imo and in my experience it's better to modify sheds on the first day rather than end up with the wrong machine. The 265 used to work the Keenan 80 feeder no bother but she would struggle with the Keenan 100. The 399 is well fit for her though. I reckon if I had to drive the feeder with the 265 I'd be doing work to the engine by now.

I'd have nothing to load it then though, I know you can get self load versions too but those don't really appeal. We can't modify sheds here either.

It might only be a stop gap measure in any case as given what we are at, we are expecting way too much from the 3600 and clocking up hours on the Landini quicker than we'd like.

I'd have nothing to load it then though, I know you can get self load versions too but those don't really appeal. We can't modify sheds here either.

It might only be a stop gap measure in any case as given what we are at, we are expecting way too much from the 3600 and clocking up hours on the Landini quicker than we'd like.

I feel a "find nash a tractor" thread coming on.......:whistle::laugh:

leave them in.
I set it to blow over them and sprinkle down, very low pto RPM. Sheep don't mind it one bit.
Local man has a trailed Lucas, there was a stone in a bale and it hit the side sheeting some whack, he reckoned it could have killed an animal if it met them right.

Local man has a trailed Lucas, there was a stone in a bale and it hit the side sheeting some whack, he reckoned it could have killed an animal if it met them right.

In the 8 seasons the blower has done I think I killed 1 ewe. And that isn't definite.
But I'm damn sure I killed far more with the stress of us being in the pens moving straw about by hand every day. Far less abortions and less difficult lambings after starting with the blower.

As for cattle. It's bedded hundreds of cattle with no issues at all. Kuhn has a very good stone trap to be fair.

i was going from one yard to another here and i put a 20 ltr drum of oil in the bedder to top up another tractor in that yard, completely forgot about the drum until i was blowing straw that evening and i heard a noise and saw something red lying in the straw, bedder was none the worse though:sweat::sweat:

i was going from one yard to another here and i put a 20 ltr drum of oil in the bedder to top up another tractor in that yard, completely forgot about the drum until i was blowing straw that evening and i heard a noise and saw something red lying in the straw, bedder was none the worse though:sweat::sweat:

I thought that only happened to me.
I do head off to outfarms to bale. I'd be getting a contractor to wrap .
So at home I'd open the baler and put in a few rolls ot wrap, into the chamber.
Several times I ended up trying to pull the rolls out of the middle of a bale .
:no::no:

That will teach you not to have Tony Kehoe on so loud :wink:

I'm not a fan of chopping the straw a great deal as with large cattle they use more due to treading it in,my jeantil only has a few knives and leaves the straw long so it's more matted.

Right after all the talking, I'm going to have to take the plunge on one of these finally!

From speaking to end users, my beloved little 3 cylinder Ford's are out :cry:from a power and oil flow perspective so it will have to be on the Landini for now until another tractor comes along at some stage.

Main requirements are:
Trailed
Blow into a 45 foot deep shed and over a barrier at that
Manual controls
Something reasonably simple.

I've looked online and some of these are quite big and You'd need an airport runway to turn them around in, I'd like something much smaller and compact, even if It's one bale at a time which would be perfect here. Something as manoverable as a 10x6 trailer would be ideal.

It's not going to do a huge amount of work here but It's definitely more labour and above all else safety point of view. So I don't need a Rolls Royce model and don't want to spend huge money on it either.

I know very little about the makes so want advice on any particular models to suit the above.

Thanks in advance.

I've a Jeulin Reco and it was bought fairly right as it's a lesser know brand. It was on the 3 point but I stuck an axle and hitch on it so the handy tractors could work it. 362 and the 168 have absolutely no problem powering it. Your 3600 would be fine on it. Just feed in the bale slowly. Chopping silage is when there power hungry. Have a chat with N where I got mine. He had a few choppers when I was there.

I've a Jeulin Reco and it was bought fairly right as it's a lesser know brand. It was on the 3 point but I stuck an axle and hitch on it so the handy tractors could work it. 362 and the 168 have absolutely no problem powering it. Your 3600 would be fine on it. Just feed in the bale slowly. Chopping silage is when there power hungry. Have a chat with N where I got mine. He had a few choppers when I was there.
Jeulin are a local brand here with plenty on the ground. You’ve got a pailleuse/ensileuse (straw/silage) chopper. Those are kinda out of fashion because the silage part adds a lot of weight.
We’ve a few choppers and one of them is a mounted straw/silage that’s considerably heavier...saying that, it’s welded onto a Fiat 880 (?), I think that’s the model anyhow, and she handles it no bother. It’s mounted.
For a small yard/buildings with cul de sacs to be reversed out of, the mounted is the job. For large buildings etc the trained is your only job. The trained are bigger, bulkier and awkward.

Some models have a built in hydraulic system driven off the PTO. might be worth the hunt for one?
I know Lucas do at least as next door has one.

What power is the little ford?
Once up to speed they take a lot of slowing down in carefully fed in straw.

Back