Bord Bia inspection

Have my first remote audit next week, haven’t been in qa scheme before now.
How have people been gettin on with them?
Small herd here, 15-20 cattle per year, haven’t got much to write down in the book, couple of lines in each section, hope it’s enough to pass.

Don't worry about the quantity, explain your system and it will be clear to most inspectors what they should be seeing.

And best of luck!

Fact that its your 1st time is a daunting thought.and partocular online.
Once you have your animal remedies book up to date witn any injections dosing etc.
Remember the first one i done and hadnt a clue what to expect.
The co op man was a good help but then we were forced into doing it.
The auditor was sound and explained what will be needed for 2 audit in 18mths or so
Thoughts of it are worse than it actually is.
Hope you fly through it

Easiest was for me to do the animal remedy book was online using the app. I had all the records, I just didn't know how to present them in a manner that was acceptable. With only 15 to 20 cattle, it'll be easy enough to go back for the 6 months that they require and if you use an app it will be easy to maintain records into the future. I started with a paid app but last year switched to lsl which is free. Its a very easy to have that side of the inspection tightened up

lads just got a phone call listed for a cattle inspection 48 hrs notice what should i expect
Its really a movements, medicine and dosing records game, everything else is just standard cattle farming questions. Once your paperwork is in order the rest is straightforward.

Just checked my bord bia letter last night and im qualified up to feb 21 but i think it said ur next test is sue around nov 20 would this be right i thoight it wpuld be nearer the due date to avail of the 18 months

Tags too I'd say. Order any that are needed asap
Late now ordering tags cause they will check it when you last ordered.if ya do dont order a set or ya doomed just singles.inspector might let it slide if you order a single tags.
Mate does livestock inspections and said your guaranteed inspection with late birth or movements notifications but and but there watching when you order replacement tags as they have a set % figure that your herd needs going by national replacement rates.. and make sure your cards are all signed.
A fresh footbath aswell will be a good start

Just checked my bord bia letter last night and im qualified up to feb 21 but i think it said ur next test is sue around nov 20 would this be right i thoight it wpuld be nearer the due date to avail of the 18 months

I know with the milk your certified for 18 months but you will be notified of test roughly about 16 mths to be audited that if there is issues to be resolved that it can be sorted b4 original cert runs out

Had a department inspection last year on tags etc. The lad from the department told me it doesn't trigger an inspection ordering tags. The reason I had the inspection was a department vet was here to DNA cows to try and trace missing stock that were stolen that I had sold. Some of the cows only had one tag and the department vet reported me. He had little to be at. They prefer you to order the tags than not to. Also if you have them ordered before they arrive at least you are going something about it. Maybe different counties differ.

Yes if you havent ordered replacement tags in previous 12 months your cornered.ideally if ya ordered 2 or 3 times a yr and just have them it shows your on top of your game.
It all depends on who ya get from dept.
A sound helpfull person which some are or ones that love to inflict power

They send out the notice three months before end of 18 months, i.e 15 months after last inspection to give you time to sort another date if first date done suit. My last one i went a week past the 18 months as it suited me better. That is not a problem if you have a fair idea you will pass the audit. Dont think anyone scores 100%, best i have heard is 97-98%.

Things are bad if ya cant pass a bord bia inspection to be fair.
Could be easier to fail equivalent in dept inspection where it costs alot more

Was filling out the health plan last night, at the top of the page it says to fill out the date the plan was made, normally would be the start of the year, but I presume as I have just got book I put down yesterday's date?

lads just got a phone call listed for a cattle inspection 48 hrs notice what should i expect
Had that " livestock inspection " I think he called it in July .
Tags is the main thing, also reconcile of herd profile , cards, movements, sales, death's, etc.
Looked at a few groups of cattle in the field.
I asked why I was blessed :rolleyes2::rolleyes2: by his visit and got a vague response.
I'm pretty sure it was because I put in a fairly big order for replacement tags about a month earlier. Lesson learned .

Ordering double sets of tags raises a red light, always best to just order one and then order the 2nd a few weeks later.

As also mentioned already, not ordering any replacement tags for a long period can also Increase chances of inspection

- only one herd on the farm
- % allowed with one tag/no tag - *I forget the allowable rate per 50 (think its 3?,1 no tag?)
- Knackery certs for some stupid reason
- Correlation on herd register, cards and what they have
- on the ground cattle count,
- Feed and water inspection. Dockets, minerals

Should be easy for dairy herd with little movements, Ask specifically what section of a Cross compliance they are there for, photo all documentation the inspector fills out on farm, and dont feel threatened to do anything you dont consider right. They cant just decide to start looking at other stuff, if its not part of the items listed in that part of the inspection

Things are bad if ya cant pass a bord bia inspection to be fair.
Could be easier to fail equivalent in dept inspection where it costs alot more

you would be surprised, i failed one as the inspector refused to travel 20 miles to see the herd of cattle, as they are not at my listed address.

you would be surprised, i failed one as the inspector refused to travel 20 miles to see the herd of cattle, as they are not at my listed address.

The clotty bugger, sure if they were on land that you have in for payments he couldnt do much.sounds very much like a former inspector with bord bia would have done who lives near where 3 provinces meet.......he disappeared of the scene but there was alot of complaints about him.

The clotty bugger, sure if they were on land that you have in for payments he couldnt do much.sounds very much like a former inspector with bord bia would have done who lives near where 3 provinces meet.......he disappeared of the scene but there was alot of complaints about him.

Funny you mention that, I know that this guy had a history, and I know of a few other people he had failed. He literally threw the clothes of himself when I said there was no point doing the inspection if I was going to fail anyway. I assume payments for him was only issued on completed inspections. Every other BB inspector I had here was a pleasure

Heard of a man had his inspection today. 11 minutes the phone call took. To me that makes a total mockery of the whole thing. What pay is the bord bia guy on for each inspection? This was a dairy farmer btw

Heard of a man had his inspection today. 11 minutes the phone call took. To me that makes a total mockery of the whole thing. What pay is the bord bia guy on for each inspection? This was a dairy farmer btw
Not necessarily, if the man had all his records and photographs uploaded properly and had been checked before the call I don't see the problem.

I did my dairy Bord Bia SDAS audit by phone last week. The auditor told me he had to take his time as the call needed to last the full 90 minutes. Call durations are logged and he would be in trouble with higher powers if he cut it short. Find 11 minutes hard to believe.

I did my dairy Bord Bia SDAS audit by phone last week. The auditor told me he had to take his time as the call needed to last the full 90 minutes. Call durations are logged and he would be in trouble with higher powers if he cut it short. Find 11 minutes hard to believe.
Mine was a good 20 mins, in fairness he covered a lot in 20 mins, and I had everything photographed and uploaded correctly in advance.

Back