Straw Prices

Usually when they are making the bales there nearly on the road by the time they come out of the baler.

I'd say hold on for your price for the moment. Its still September, Your the one seeding, growing it and looking after it all year. Never mind the people who are holding back in hope of cheap straw. Hopefully you will get your price soon. :Thumbp2:

Is there that much demand for straw and what are they using it for?
Thinking back, in 2012, we had half of the silage that we had gotten earlier that summer already fed by early october. I bought 50 bales of really nice straw for €25 a bale delivered and we used it to feed along with barley to the cows for the winter. Spring 2013 saw a few lads around here that were pretty desperate for straw for bedding pay €35 per bale. A good few lads that I know changed to peat for bedding cattle after that and are still using it. Some lads used sawdust. It's a different story around here this year. Silage is plentiful - I don't think we baled a single bale this summer that you could class as wet. I can't see silage being too expensive, so there can't be many looking for it for feeding. In saying that, I'm on the N4 several times every day and other years there would be regular lorries of hay and straw but they are few and far between this year. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.
I think the straw is just not there . Our highest yielding field had seven bales to the acre and the rest had between five and six bales.Winter barley was back in acres and any I saw had to be turned with some sitting ten weeks before baling. There were a good few Northern lorries passing at the weekend. People have not had time to clear fields as they are reseeding and sowing rape .

Alot of straw to be baled around here still and alot of bales in fields around also. Is straw slow moving at the moment?

Will you give lads a chance lad! Most are only done cutting late last week and there are only so many hours in the day. With the way straw is baling up, one artic would shift a lot of acres currently.

I think the straw is just not there . Our highest yielding field had seven bales to the acre and the rest had between five and six bales.Winter barley was back in acres and any I saw had to be turned with some sitting ten weeks before baling. There were a good few Northern lorries passing at the weekend. People have not had time to clear fields as they are reseeding and sowing rape .

If its not there why the hold off? In hope of cheap prices? Not going to happen this year thank god people are holding..

Well the light bulb has finally come on with buyers I think. I'm sold out. Tbh given the demand now you'd nearly wonder at the wisdom of piling up a good bit for your own use but needs must. It's amazing the difference in attitude between this year and last year when there was plenty of straw and very nice straw buyers wanted it for next to nothing so I piled up around 600 bales I think it was bulled it in under my own cattle all winter. This year straw is weathered and scarce and the buyers want it no mention of chape straw at all.
Ahh someday maybe I'll have 5 ton avg crops and reasonable prices paid for grain and I can dispense with the annoyance of straw altogether.

I'd say hold on for your price for the moment. Its still September, Your the one seeding, growing it and looking after it all year. Never mind the people who are holding back in hope of cheap straw. Hopefully you will get your price soon. :Thumbp2:
Am afraid I am the buyer not the seller this year. Any extra straw we had to source is off the field and in the shed now. Waiting to see were the price will settle now so can pay the man

Whats everyones thoughts on straw pricing?. Barley is 20 a bale around here and I've had a few customers offer that themselves which I'm happy with. I don't know what to charge for the wheaten and oaten straw. Tbh I have 20 across the board in mind but is that a bit much do ye think for the wheat and oats?.
€18 a bale for barley out the field. €45 for oaten/wheaten and rape 8x4x4 here

Weighed a few 8*4*3 last week. Were between 260 and 320kg. Say average 270-280. Barley straw around 10%. Weighed a couple of wheaten ones where the moisture was over 18 and pulled out of it and they were 440 from the same baler. Barley straw just isn't weighing this year.

I

I sure am. My customers would be the first to point out if they got lighter.
I noticed that McHale bales are consistently 4.5ft and ones out of a Welger are nearer 4 and better packed and easier stacked. I don't want to restart the war now but just an observation.

You wouldn’t get away with 155kg round bales around here, they would have to be around 190kg as @rustymcsocks said. Straw is slow enough to move around here this year for some reason.

Back