Straw Prices

More dense to be be pedantic. A soft hands handler works better with them especially if you're loading onto a trailer when wrapped
Possibly, all I know is with silage the farmers won’t pay as much for the 235 bale vs the fusion bale but again it could be all in the head

You wouldn’t get away with 155kg round bales around here, they would have to be around 190kg as @rustymcsocks said. Straw is slow enough to move around here this year for some reason.
Slow enough here too. Few regular customers have straw left over from year and didnt take any.
Had to rely on the trusty dealers who will always manage to find something wrong with it no matter how golden it is.
From my experience a farmer will only buy a light bale from you once.

Possibly, all I know is with silage the farmers won’t pay as much for the 235 bale vs the fusion bale but again it could be all in the head
Had silage bales made here a few weeks ago with the Fusion, it was lush grass and they did sag a bit after but they were the full 5ft. The back door must have been set for straw as the handler wouldn't come up over them.

Had silage bales made here a few weeks ago with the Fusion, it was lush grass and they did sag a bit after but they were the full 5ft. The back door must have been set for straw as the handler wouldn't come up over them.
Very hard get lush grass right this time of year too

I noticed that McHale bales are consistently 4.5ft and ones out of a Welger are nearer 4 and better packed and easier stacked. I don't want to restart the war now but just an observation.

I may get the lads to loosen off the baler in future :tt2:

Welger bales are bigger than JD bales we find here anyway. Roller baler, think it was a 644 or something like that.

I may get the lads to loosen off the baler in future :tt2:

Welger bales are bigger than JD bales we find here anyway. Roller baler, think it was a 644 or something like that.
I have a small bit of straw down still I’ll make a bale with the welger and Mchale the next day for a picture comparison, I have no way to compare weight, bar maybe push them on their sides

I noticed that McHale bales are consistently 4.5ft and ones out of a Welger are nearer 4 and better packed and easier stacked. I don't want to restart the war now but just an observation.

2 brothers got a load of round straw bales locally a few years back. Another neighbor was tasked to put them into the shed with the loader when he got home from work. When he arrived to put them in, he found them neatly stacked on their ends and 2 row high in the shed. The pair of boys rolled them in and lifted them up by hand. They drove a spike into both ends to get a grip and rolled some of them up a plank. Some hardship!

No comment on the baler brand.

2 brothers got a load of round straw bales locally a few years back. Another neighbor was tasked to put them into the shed with the loader when he got home from work. When he arrived to put them in, he found them neatly stacked on their ends and 2 row high in the shed. The pair of boys rolled them in and lifted them up by hand. They drove a spike into both ends to get a grip and rolled some of them up a plank. Some hardship!

Monkey on seat has as much to do with brand!

Monkey on seat has as much to do with brand!

Dealers are paying approx €35 for 8x4x3 of barley wheat and oats. We wouldn’t be in a high demand area.
Obviously on farm prices should be higher to allow for transport and the dealers margin.

I've had 3 enquiries for straw this past week. All 3 know I sell off the land and all 3 had ample opportunity during harvest to get straw. One fella landed into the yard which he never does and asked about a few bales. I told him I had none so he proceeded to give 2 hours chatting and then wanted to see the cattle and after all that asked me what I wanted for my stack of bales..............the whole lot of them. Every bale I put through the chopper now I'm thinking "I could have sold that". If beef was at a base of 4 euro I'd be a lot happier turning away business. Thats the joys of farming I suppose.

I've next to nothing cut yet but the bit that is cut won't be baled until god knows when and if the broken weather is going to be ongoing throughout the harvest then I'll bale up enough for myself and the few loyal customers and the rest will be blown out of the straw chopper. I've to much to be doing to be worrying about anyone who isn't worried about me.
Don’t forget how you felt back then, if they wanted it they could have came at harvest, even to reserve a few then for storage, let them off, I wonder will the new thing coming out to chop straw make many people chop instead of baling do ye think In the larger tillage areas ? We say the likes of oat and wheat straw anyway

Don’t forget how you felt back then, if they wanted it they could have came at harvest, even to reserve a few then for storage, let them off, I wonder will the new thing coming out to chop straw make many people chop instead of baling do ye think In the larger tillage areas ? We say the likes of oat and wheat straw anyway
I could see every headland in the country been chopped now. Nothing against tillage men as I do a small bit myself but I have never heard such a stupid rule in all my life. Were in Jeasus name do they expect straw to come from to bed calfs and cattle? Some farmers are very short sighted and can't see they will need straw from now on. That crack you went through would drive you mad

I've had 3 enquiries for straw this past week. All 3 know I sell off the land and all 3 had ample opportunity during harvest to get straw. One fella landed into the yard which he never does and asked about a few bales. I told him I had none so he proceeded to give 2 hours chatting and then wanted to see the cattle and after all that asked me what I wanted for my stack of bales..............the whole lot of them. Every bale I put through the chopper now I'm thinking "I could have sold that". If beef was at a base of 4 euro I'd be a lot happier turning away business. Thats the joys of farming I suppose.
A bit of hunger is the best sauce!

I could see every headland in the country been chopped now. Nothing against tillage men as I do a small bit myself but I have never heard such a stupid rule in all my life. Were in Jeasus name do they expect straw to come from to bed calfs and cattle? Some farmers are very short sighted and can't see they will need straw from now on. That crack you went through would drive you mad
Chopping straw is great for the ground, increasing organic matter levels. The reality is straw has been sold too cheap for too long. A lot of buyer don’t appreciate the time, effort and cost that goes into saving good straw bales, not to mind the Nutrient value And benefits to the tillage field of encorporation

Chopping straw is great for the ground, increasing organic matter levels. The reality is straw has been sold too cheap for too long. A lot of buyer don’t appreciate the time, effort and cost that goes into saving good straw bales, not to mind the Nutrient value And benefits to the tillage field of encorporation
My guess is they dont realise the effort that goes into saving low moisture straw cause they have been buying straw from the same large farmer who bales up regardless of moisture. Because it's another job out of the way and probably has an employee doing it who will bale away regardless if its fit or not.

I have managed to poach a few of these customers over the last few years.
They can't get over the sh*te they were paying for and are willing to pay for good quality dry straw.

There is a man who is settling up for this years straw. The straw was tedded out once and raked up and baled dry. I was asking €14 for a 4x4 but he is saying he got good winter barley straw down in Wexford for €8. It would just fustrate you. The extra time and diesil to Ted it and to rake it and still only get 5 or 6 bales/ac. Chopper might be going next year.

There is a man who is settling up for this years straw. The straw was tedded out once and raked up and baled dry. I was asking €14 for a 4x4 but he is saying he got good winter barley straw down in Wexford for €8. It would just fustrate you. The extra time and diesil to Ted it and to rake it and still only get 5 or 6 bales/ac. Chopper might be going next year.
I hope you held firm, loosing a lad like him as a customer wouldn’t worry me in the slightest.
Had a fella here book straw off me on the flat a few years ago. Would have been a fairly regular customer. Rang me as the combine was over half way through the field he was meant to be taking to say he wouldn’t bother with it as there was rain forecast the next day. Took great satisfaction being able to tell him the next year that it was all sold when he came looking to book straw (it genuinely was sold)

He did in his hole no straw down this way went that cheep. I bought straw of a local contractor I lifted the headlands and went back and shook up another bit of ground after rain. He bailed it and I paid him. 13e a bail which I thought was good value. Alot of farmers don't realise the hardship the harvest was this year.

My few customers have been fixing up here the last few weeks and I charged all 14 euros and all happy, for once not one complaint, they all know what it's worth now and the trouble saving it. Also at this stage I've the whiners wed out.

A question to the straw growers here.

Would anyone consider selling straw on say a three year rolling average market price? I'm thinking it could give sellers and buyers a good idea of price going forward.

A question to the straw growers here.

Would anyone consider selling straw on say a three year rolling average market price? I'm thinking it could give sellers and buyers a good idea of price going forward.
Don't think it would work for the moment seen as monies can be got now to work straw in. Straw will go up I'd say from now on.

Back